What's new

Need some info on buying a home theatre system (1 Viewer)

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
I was wanting to buy a home theater system but i'm a little tight on money the most I want to spend is 450 but trying to stay lower. I was wanting a home theatre system with wireless rear speakers but also can hook up an apple tv, ps3, and my tv using the dish network 625 receiver and still get good sound... The two systems I was looking at are these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-Theater-System-DAVHDX576WF/dp/B0015HPYF8/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1251946839&sr=1-31

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-DAV-HDX589W-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/tech-data/B001W0Y440/ref=de_a_smtd

I think these will work for I want but if you have any better solutions let me know.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The challenge you'll find here is that you have 3 different video sources (apple tv, ps3, and dish network) and most of the inexpensive HTiBs are severely limited in the number of inputs available.

The two options you listed, in fact, have NO additional video inputs AT ALL. In this case, you'd have to run the video from each source into your TV (provided it has enough inputs), and run the audio from each source separately into the Sony unit.

It seems that each of these has BARELY enough audio inputs to satisfy your needs - 1 optical digital, 1 coaxial digital, and 1 analog RCA input.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that "wireless" surround speakers is a largely misleading term. Yes, there is no need to run speaker wires from the receiver around the perimeter of your room to the speakers. Instead, the Sony receiver wirelessly transmits the audio signal to a separate receiver unit for the surround speakers (it's about a foot long). This unit (which needs to be positioned near an outlet for power) then sends the audio to the speakers via speaker cable. So there will be speaker wires running to the speakers themselves.

Your budget is a bit limiting, and if the "wireless" approach to surround is an absolute must-have for you, then I'm not sure of any better alternatives.

Without the wireless requirement, there are a number of more feature-rich home theater systems from Onkyo that coud be had. Amazon.com has the Onkyo HT-S3200 for less than $350, for example.

Jason

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
Sooo... If I set it up this way would the sound be downgraded? Also the "wireless" speakers are fine I just don't want wires running across the room but behind is fine. Also what are the downfalls of running it through my tv?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Whichever input uses the left/right RCA jacks would not be 5.1. I'm not familiar with apple TV, and you didn't mention whether or not your Dish Network includes HD channels or not, but assuming that all of these sources are capable of 5.1 sound, you'd have to make a compromise somewhere.

Running audio through the TV does not work in all but the rarest of circumstances. Although many TVs have a digital out, it only sends a 5.1 signal if it originated from the TV's built-in tuner. Any external devices who's audio is routed INTO the TV will be downcoverted to stereo before it's output.

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
Ok... so it would be pretty pointless to get one of those systems... but you said the Onkyo receiver would be good for my setup? Does it have pretty good sound? Also I don't have the dishHD its just regular. Also I thought I seen a device you could buy to make your speakers wireless just like the sony ones where you still have cords but you dont have to run wires for 100 dollars or so would something like that work for me?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, if you're only getting standard definition Dish Network, then 5.1 audio from that source isn't a concern and the original system would suffice.

As for the quality of Onkyo receivers, I have owned a couple of Onkyo's over the past 10-12 years and can definitely vouch for their quality, durability, and bang-for-the-buck.

In terms of wireless systems, I'm really not that familiar with the various options available, so I can't really offer any detailed insight. If the wireless feature is high on your priority list, I would suggest going with one of the original Sony systems just to keep things simple. It will probably be easier to set up a wireless system that was designed to be wireless rather than trying to incorporate a third-party product (and cheaper, too).

Good luck!

Jason

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
Ok...so if I got the sony system I would still get 5.1 from my appletv and ps3 but not from my dish but could I still have the dish could out of the speakers I know it wont be great sound but would that still work? Also would I hook it the same way still?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
In taking a closer look at the specs for the Sony sytems, it seems it will NOT have enough audio inputs for 3 sources - the digital coaxial and digital optical inputs cannot be assigned separately - they both apply to the "Sat/TV" input on the receiver. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

Pretty much every HTiB system that comes with wireless rear speakers (Sony and Panasonic both make systems) don't support enough external sources to suit your needs.

It looks like you probably will have to go with a non-wireless home theater system, and get a separate wireless conversion kit for the surrounds. I'm not at all familiar with the wireless kits, so hopefully someone else can chime in with some recommendations.

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
Well also could you give me a few ideas on some good systems that are not wireless rear? I would just like to keep my options open I might be able to work something out with the cables I would just have to buy some xtra wire or something

erhilse

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Hilse
Its been awhile since I posted on here but I think I narrowed it down to these 3 system...which ones do you think sound the best?

Denon DHT590BA
Onkyo HT-S6200
Yamaha-YHT-591

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Denon comes with Boston Accoustics speakers, which are a name brand. The Onkyo is the only one that has 7.1, so if you want 7.1 that's the only one that qualifies. It also comes with an iPod attachment and has 4 HDMI in instead of 3 (the Yamaha also has 4). Personally if I had no need for 7.1 and only 3 HDMI devices, I'd get the Denon. Second choice would be the Onkyo. Then again, I personally never liked Yamaha receivers. Others like them very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks