Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gasoline Tanker flips, explodes.. takes out bridge near detroit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 15 2009 - 04:17 PM

http://www.freep.com...083/1005/news03

Holy Cow!

Quote:

A stretch of I-75 was expected to be shut down indefinitely after a gasoline tanker exploded Wednesday night near 9 Mile, causing the overpass on the northbound side to collapse.

Posted Image
Thick black smoke billowed from the scene and flames shot up 150 to 200 feet, snarling traffic on both sides. Authorities advised the thousands of commuters heading for work this morning to look for alternative routes.

That section of I-75 — from 8 Mile to I-696 — carries an average of more than 160,000 vehicles a day, according to state traffic counts.

The tanker overturned apparently after colliding with a tractor-trailer. It was not immediately clear how many vehicles were involved. The tanker driver appeared to have survived.

Lt. Shannon Sims of the Michigan State Police post in Oak Park confirmed that the fire and heat from the tanker blast had caused the 9 Mile overpass above northbound I-75 to collapse.

“Until they get that fire out, it's going to be hard for us to get in there and determine what happened,” Sims said.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 15 2009 - 11:37 PM

This has been all over the local news this morning. Amazingly, no one was seriously injured in the accident.

That stretch of freeway will be closed for a few months. My sympathies to those who travel that route on their daily commutes.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 16 2009 - 12:35 AM

A tanker flipped and burned on an overpass in Oakland CA two years ago, and it took months to replace the onramp - it had melted.

http://www.sfgate.co...BAGVOPHQU46.DTL 
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 16 2009 - 02:04 AM

Don't worry Scott.. a lot of us caught the story, but thankfully, it didn't sidetrack CNN or MSNBC or any of the others from the real important news of the world (rundowns of the Michael Jackson family with interviews)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 5 ONLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 16 2009 - 09:50 AM

In 1982 a tanker exploded inside the Caldocott-Tunnel between Oakland and Orinda Ca. killing seven people. Tankers have since been restricted to 2-4 AM.

Well, after reading the story it looks like more of a fire than an explosion, but still horrific.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.