What's new

Question about Edward Scissorhands Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more "search this forum" button, so I don't know if this has been brought up before, but since I've never had anything like this ever happen, not with DVD and not with any other Blu-Ray, I'm curious if this is a known issue with Edward Scissorhands on Blu-Ray - certainly I can't have a one-off weird disc.

I popped in the film, got past the menus, and the film began. Music sounded great. When it got to the first scene the music continued, sound fx were present, but no dialogue at all, as if they left off the dialogue channel or something - completely weird. I checked other audio options - the dialogue was present in the French and Spanish dubs, but there's only the one English 4.0 track (along with the commentary tracks, which also play fine). Any ideas? Before anyone starts blaming equipment, I have never had a problem like this with any disc ever - before or since. I immediately played five other Blu-Rays, all of which were fine.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mine is still in the shrinkwrap. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see if I have the same problem. FWIW the search bar is under the "blue tab bar" toward the top of the page. It searches the forums too and if you click advanced search you can narrow it down further.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mine plays perfectly, I'd just exchange it, sounds like a disc problem.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Yes, I'll exchange it, but don't you find it odd that it could be a one-off disc problem? A master is a master is a master. I'm not talking about a glitch here - I'm talking about an entire dialog track missing.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This release contains an isolated music score with commentary by Danny Elfman. Your player seems to be defaulting to that option. Can you access menu audio options to go to the 5.1 soundtrack?

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I was on the correct track - the default, which is the 4.0 track - I'll try it again, but I did scroll through all the audio tracks and heard the French, Spanish, first and second commentary tracks (I presume one of those is Elfman). It's the weirdest thing I've ever had happen with a disc.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
All the other audio tracks are 2.0, correct? You might want to do some trouble shooting on your receiver and/or the BD player's firmware settings, as it may be decoding the 4.0 audio incorrectly.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Since every other Blu-Ray and DVD plays correctly, I'm just going to make the easy assumption that it has nothing to do with the receiver or firmware settings - if it did, it would not decode ANY tracks correctly or at least other 4.0 tracks - it decodes every sort of track correctly. It's something weird with the disc itself.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Billy: You are sure you've run other 4.0 tracks through your gear? It's not a fair comparison to just try other BD discs with only 5.1 tracks and insist it might not be an anomaly with the set-up of your gear. Strange stuff happens.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Happy to try any suggestions - what would you think it might be - in other words, what should I change? My receiver is set, as always, to BD player, and the Blu-Ray player is set to decode whatever track is chosen or the default is. Is there something in the player menu I should check - I have a Samsung 1600. Certainly I haven't seen anything in the booklet that would lead me to believe anything needs to be changed within the player, but I'm happy to try anything.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy to try any suggestions - what would you think it might be - in other words, what should I change? My receiver is set, as always, to BD player, and the Blu-Ray player is set to decode whatever track is chosen or the default is. Is there something in the player menu I should check - I have a Samsung 1600. Certainly I haven't seen anything in the booklet that would lead me to believe anything needs to be changed within the player, but I'm happy to try anything.
If you're having the receiver do the audio decoding, go into the Setup menu to Audio and make sure the player's audio setting is on Bitstream Audiophile. If I remember the setup menu on my Samsung, that was not the factory default. If that is how you have it set and you're still not getting the center channel track, you might try the Reencode setting and let the player decode the audio just to see if the center channel comes through with that setting.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert. There are others here much smarter about these things than I am, but do you know if your firmware is up-to-date on your BD player?

What receiver are you using?

What type of audio connection are you using between the two, HDMI, composite, analog?

And have you googled to see if there are any known problems between that disc and either of those components?

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
HDMI via a Yamaha 3800 receiver - no problems on any other Blu-Ray no matter what audio track is happening. I finally took the disc into the bedroom and tried it in that player (same as my other player) - that unit is plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, and the dialogue is there, so it's not the disc. I checked all the settings on the Blu-Ray player, TV, and receiver last night - nothing seems to be wrong anywhere, but it's simply not decoding properly - one only gets music and a partial sound fx track.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It may be a compatibility issue with your receiver since you ruled out the disc. You may want to contact Yamaha and see if they have a solution.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I have the same problem with my UK blu ray of Edward Scissorhands. A music only track instead of the proper dialogue-soundtrack. Contacted Fox Home Entertainment who advised me to return the disc to them, which I did, and got a replacement disc - which was exactly the same (maybe it was the same disc I sent them). Have other blu rays with 4.0 sound (and 5.0 etc) which play fine.
A waste of time. Sadly I purchased this disc from HMV and threw my receipt away several weeks before watching it.
My player and TV are both samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks