Question about Edward Scissorhands Blu-Ray

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 06:11 PM

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more "search this forum" button, so I don't know if this has been brought up before, but since I've never had anything like this ever happen, not with DVD and not with any other Blu-Ray, I'm curious if this is a known issue with Edward Scissorhands on Blu-Ray - certainly I can't have a one-off weird disc.

I popped in the film, got past the menus, and the film began.  Music sounded great.  When it got to the first scene the music continued, sound fx were present, but no dialogue at all, as if they left off the dialogue channel or something - completely weird.  I checked other audio options - the dialogue was present in the French and Spanish dubs, but there's only the one English 4.0 track (along with the commentary tracks, which also play fine).  Any ideas?  Before anyone starts blaming equipment, I have never had a problem like this with any disc ever - before or since.  I immediately played five other Blu-Rays, all of which were fine.  

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 30 2009 - 07:53 PM

Mine is still in the shrinkwrap. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see if I have the same problem.  FWIW the search bar is under the "blue tab bar" toward the top of the page.  It searches the forums too and if you click advanced search you can narrow it down further.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 02:20 AM

Mine plays perfectly, I'd just exchange it, sounds like a disc problem.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 03:01 AM

Yes, I'll exchange it, but don't you find it odd that it could be a one-off disc problem?  A master is a master is a master.  I'm not talking about a glitch here - I'm talking about an entire dialog track missing.   

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 04:07 AM

This release contains an isolated music score with commentary by Danny Elfman. Your player seems to be defaulting to that option. Can you access menu audio options to go to the 5.1 soundtrack?

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 05:04 AM

I was on the correct track - the default, which is the 4.0 track - I'll try it again, but I did scroll through all the audio tracks and heard the French, Spanish, first and second commentary tracks (I presume one of those is Elfman).  It's the weirdest thing I've ever had happen with a disc.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 01 2009 - 07:21 AM

Mine works fine too.  I just hit play off the menu and I started hearing voices (again...sigh)

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 01 2009 - 07:34 AM

All the other audio tracks are 2.0, correct? You might want to do some trouble shooting on your receiver and/or the BD player's firmware settings, as it may be decoding the 4.0 audio incorrectly.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 02:36 PM

Since every other Blu-Ray and DVD plays correctly, I'm just going to make the easy assumption that it has nothing to do with the receiver or firmware settings - if it did, it would not decode ANY tracks correctly or at least other 4.0 tracks - it decodes every sort of track correctly.  It's something weird with the disc itself. 

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 01 2009 - 03:14 PM

Billy:  You are sure you've run other 4.0 tracks through your gear?   It's not a fair comparison to just try other BD discs with only 5.1 tracks and insist it might not be an anomaly with the set-up of your gear.  Strange stuff happens. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 05:07 PM

Happy to try any suggestions - what would you think it might be - in other words, what should I change?  My receiver is set, as always, to BD player, and the Blu-Ray player is set to decode whatever track is chosen or the default is.  Is there something in the player menu I should check - I have a Samsung 1600.  Certainly I haven't seen anything in the booklet that would lead me to believe anything needs to be changed within the player, but I'm happy to try anything.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 02 2009 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman View Post

Happy to try any suggestions - what would you think it might be - in other words, what should I change?  My receiver is set, as always, to BD player, and the Blu-Ray player is set to decode whatever track is chosen or the default is.  Is there something in the player menu I should check - I have a Samsung 1600.  Certainly I haven't seen anything in the booklet that would lead me to believe anything needs to be changed within the player, but I'm happy to try anything.
If you're having the receiver do the audio decoding, go into the Setup menu to Audio and make sure the player's audio setting is on Bitstream Audiophile. If I remember the setup menu on my Samsung, that was not the factory default. If that is how you have it set and you're still not getting the center channel track, you might try the Reencode setting and let the player decode the audio just to see if the center channel comes through with that setting.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 02 2009 - 12:45 AM

I'm no expert.  There are others here much smarter about these things than I am, but do you know if your firmware is up-to-date on your BD player?

What receiver are you using?

What type of audio connection are you using between the two, HDMI, composite, analog?

And have you googled to see if there are any known problems between that disc and either of those components?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 04:19 AM

HDMI via a Yamaha 3800 receiver - no problems on any other Blu-Ray no matter what audio track is happening.  I finally took the disc into the bedroom and tried it in that player (same as my other player) - that unit is plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, and the dialogue is there, so it's not the disc.  I checked all the settings on the Blu-Ray player, TV, and receiver last night - nothing seems to be wrong anywhere, but it's simply not decoding properly - one only gets music and a partial sound fx track.   

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 02 2009 - 05:02 AM

It may be a compatibility issue with your receiver since you ruled out the disc. You may want to contact Yamaha and see if they have a solution.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   brynmill

brynmill

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have the same problem with my UK blu ray of Edward Scissorhands. A music only track instead of the proper dialogue-soundtrack. Contacted Fox Home Entertainment who advised me to return the disc to them, which I did, and got a replacement disc - which was exactly the same (maybe it was the same disc I sent them). Have other blu rays with 4.0 sound (and 5.0 etc) which play fine. A waste of time. Sadly I purchased this disc from HMV and threw my receipt away several weeks before watching it. My player and TV are both samsung.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users