Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mr. Ed LIVES!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 08:59 AM

And I thought his new name was "Glue" after the issues about rights had come up, but hey, major kudos to Shout! for this score!

Mister Ed DVD news: Announcement for Mister Ed - The Complete First Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com

This is a "must-get" for me as my fiance loved the show on Nick at Nite and I enjoyed it very much too.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,462 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 09:19 AM

Oh: Shout Fact'ry rules, of course, of course!

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 09:24 AM

Well, of course, of course. I told you, especially after Transformers and GI Joe, and all the other news lately, Shout! is the rising star among DVD release studios.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 09:57 AM

Mr Ed,Patty Duke Show and One Step Beyond. I never thought any of these shows would receive full season sets. Not that they don't deserve them .Because they do. I guess i can keep hoping for Batman and Thriller. Also maybe Shout would pick up Leave it to Beaver and finish it off. Great news.

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 10:29 AM

My Previous post: "When I saw American Gladiators then Thirtysomething being announced by Shout I knew they had entered into an agreement with MGM (via Fox I assume as they also licenced their shows). So I figured Patty Duke was there somewhere. I am thinking Mister Ed season sets are somewhere down the road. Also hoping for It'a About Time, My Mother The Car, The Mothers-in Law, more Fame, Flipper & Green Acres" So My initial guess was right about Mister ED and Fame season two is also coming out via MGM along with season 1 (per DVD Empire), Mothers-in-LAw coming from MPI later this year. Now hoping for more Green Acres, Flipper and It'a About Time, My Mother The Car. Other MGM shows I would like to see: BAT MASTERSON DEBBIE REYNOLDS SHOW-An interesting one season show DOUBLE LIFE OF HENRY PHYFE EVERGLADES HIGHWAY PATROL HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS- Great stars in this I think one seaon show HOLLYWOOD SQUARES - This I would like to see a best of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT LIONHEARTS MONA MCCLUSKEY-Intersting show PRUITTS OF SOUTHHAMPTON- An intersting one season show SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE- Great stars in this two season show SEA HUNT SUPER SIX- Fun Saturday morning cartoon show

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 12:01 PM

Double Life of Henry Phyfe. If i remember correctly that was with Red Buttons as a lookalike to a spy. When the spy is killed they bring in Phyfe to impersonate the spy. A pretty good spy comedy from the 60s. I remember seeing this when i was a kid. But thats about all a remember. I was pretty young.I would love to see this show again.

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,382 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 01:08 PM

When we get it and it's complete, then I'll be happy. But my what short memories people have. Shout's releases of 1st season Rhoda and Father Knows Best were abysmal. And from what I understand, the Mr. Ed episodes that are airing now on a few networks are 22 minute jobs. If these are complete and unedited, I'm in. We'll see.

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 01:44 PM

More than happy to admit I was wrong about Ed. I really thought that right problems from previous releases would sink it. Glad to be wrong. I'd love to see Sea Hunt myself, but honestly, I'd prefer Dennis the Menace as the next Shout! title to tackle.

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 02:45 PM

MISTER ED's first season was for syndication. It didn't become a network show until CBS picked it up for its second season. I have no idea what the correct running time of MISTER ED's first season shows should be. Also, for most of its run, CBS showed it late Sunday afternoons, outside of primetime, so this show's episodes might actually be shorter than other series from the early '60s. But, again, I don't know for sure.

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted June 18 2009 - 04:39 PM

This is AWESOME news! I never expected this ... what a surprise indeed. I must say this year has been very good year for classic tv ... Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, Donna Reed Show, Patty Duke Show, Mister Ed, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, Bewitched, ect. ... all getting DVD releases!!! I just hope that Shout! has picked the rights to Green Acres ... there's still three remaining seasons of that series that needs to be released on DVD.
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 04:08 AM

I guess the next question is what are the running times on the "Best of" collections.

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   MilesH

MilesH

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 09:45 AM

I agree 100%. I'll wait for reviews from fans before I buy this. No way will I blindly pre-order it given Shout's past history. Although season sets are great, we are in for a long wait for what is arguably the greatest episode (Leo Durocher Meets Mister Ed from Season 4). When MGM was releasing the "best of" DVDs, it was almost as if they were intentionally sabotaging the releases by not even including what most people think is the best episode of the series.

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   John*Wells

John*Wells

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 09:53 AM

I agree I want completely UNCUT eps 26 min I believe they were

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 12:26 PM

Doesn't Shout! get it right most of the time? I know there have been times when they goofed up, and I was surprised, because I think generally they have a good reputation.

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 02:06 PM

This is great news and surprising as it sounded like Mr. Ed would be stuck in legal limbo for a long time. Does anyone know anything about the condition of the original films? I want an unedited and restored release if at all possible.

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have the Best of Mr Ed volume 1 and the prints looks excellent. Presumably Shout! would be using the same prints as what MGM used for this set. The episodes in this set are all uncut running approx 25-26 mintues each if I recall properly.

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   John*Wells

John*Wells

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 04:02 PM

My fav eps of Ed the first Meeting of course after that the one where Ed bails wilbur out of a Jam with Addison by making Wilbur appear to be a ventrilaquist The one where Wilbur and Addison end up in the Barn for the night when Kay buys a Mink Stole and Addison insists she return it while in the Meantime Ed eats out of Carols Garden because wilbur took his oats The one in which Wilbur, Carol and the Addisons take a ski trip. Addison swears he wont play cards but does so anyway and Wilbur and Ed play to get his money back The one where Wilbur celebrates his birthday. Ed takes in a goat who eats a set of Plans of Wilbur's ...Ed Ends up in the pound along with the goat and Wilbur changes his mind

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 05:52 PM

A real surprise, this one. I've been very pleased with Shout! so far. Not everyone thinks they're inferior.

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 11:20 PM

I'm happy this is finally seeing the light of day, but Shout! is far from perfect. Their second season releases of Adam 12 and Ironside leave a WHOLE lot to be desired. The image looks like it was lifted off a bad VHS. I can not watch these DVDs on my projection set, as the blurry image is too noticable. This would not be so bad if they were only charging $20 MSRP for these inferior sets, but they charge just as much as the big studios. Mill Creek on the other hand tries to put out the best prints they can, while only charging a faction of what the major studios sell their series for.

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 01:07 PM

Part of the problem is that Shout does not own these series. As a result, the company they are licensing from provides the prints. I know there were issues where the prints that were sent were syndication prints. I also suspect that Shout's abilty to do anything with these prints are extremely limited. It would also not surprise me that Universal would send over inferior prints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users