Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned... -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 of 56 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,882 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 10:56 PM

Not that I'm aware.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#22 of 56 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted May 30 2009 - 08:23 AM

Many Thanks for your review Mr. Harris. Happily added to my short list. Some of my favorite scenes from this film are the glorious shots of the B-52. With appropriate background music. Tony S

#23 of 56 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 02:02 PM

Never seen this film but I've got the BD pre-ordered. Looking forward to watching it.

#24 of 56 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 02:39 PM

While one of my all-time favorites, I was not immediately convinced that owning this one on Blu Ray would be worth my while, since Strangelove is largely a dialogue-driven film. But I love those B-52 shots, and did take notice to their presentation in the SD version. To see those babies presented "tip to tip" will be worth it to me, not to mention the overall treat of the restoration. Besides, my SD copy can now officially become "the loaner" without concern. Thanks for the great review. John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#25 of 56 OFFLINE   Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 04:31 PM

If I may take the question one step further, do you think that, say, "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "A Clockwork Orange" would have benefited from the treatment given Dr. Strangelove or do they not need that due to being more recent motion pictures? I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

#26 of 56 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,882 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 11:56 PM

2001, yes, but I don't know if the results would necessarily show up in low-rez. ACO, doubtful.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#27 of 56 OFFLINE   Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thank you, sir. Again, I appreciate your time.

#28 of 56 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:51 AM

The previous 2-disc SD transfer was far too dark, as the DVD Beaver comparison reveals. The BD may be a little too bright when viewed on my PC monitor when compared to my plasma TV which often seem to be the case. The cropping/framing on the BD is better. The original mono soundtrack really ought to have been uncompressed, though. Otherwise, this is marvelous work from Sony.

#29 of 56 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 03:44 PM

$5 off on Amazon with code "SONYPIC5"

#30 of 56 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,040 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 03:44 AM

RAH - forgive me for asking, because I don't mean to sound doubtful, but does "2001" really need restoration work? I ask because it's my favorite film of all time, period, and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to it. That said, I saw it in 70mm as recently as 2003 and in 35mm as recently as last year, both were fairly new prints and looked about as close to pristine as you can get. The current DVD and Blu-ray releases look pretty good to my eye as well. Is the negative really in trouble?

#31 of 56 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,882 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 05:13 AM

2001 is in no danger. Damage to the OCN that occurred over the past 40 years can now be upgraded, dirt can be digitally removed. But there is plenty of redundancy of elements. The film isn't going anywhere. RAH

#32 of 56 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,040 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 06:21 AM

Phew... that's what I thought but thanks for confirming. I have to say, when I saw it for the first time in 70mm during it's 2001-2002 run (I had previously only seen it in 35mm), I was completely blown away. I mean, I expected to be, but it exceeded even that expectation. The print was surprisingly dirt and scratch free. The only clue that it wasn't a brand new film was the Pan Am logos visible throughout.

#33 of 56 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,800 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 07:59 AM

If I remember correctly, the score during that B-52 'copulation' scene (in Strangelove) is "Try a Little Tenderness". Posted Image

Cees

#34 of 56 OFFLINE   BrianSiano

BrianSiano

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 09 2009 - 09:00 AM

I'd heard complaints about the Blu-Ray of ACO; apparently there are some color differences from previous, Kubrick-approved transfers. Rob's given it a good notice on this forum, however. Still, I have high hopes that they'll do a Harris-level job on _Barry Lyndon_, whevere they decide to put that one out on Blu.

#35 of 56 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 11:35 AM

BRAVO Sony..... I just watched this and I know this phrase is used too often with BD ...."this is the best the film has ever looked" ... but it is true Gone from the 2001 Kubrick Collection dvd (and likely subsequent dvds) are the annoying and frequent dirt/debris flaws that plague that presentation a must own for fans of the movie and fans of great cinema alike

#36 of 56 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 05:48 AM

I am disappointed that the cut 'pie fight' was not included on this disc. Before anybody steps in and says it's lost, I saw the footage in 35mm at the BFI last year. I don't know if Sony are aware of this. Did the Kubrick Estate say they didn't want it to be seen?
Steve Pickard

#37 of 56 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 06:34 AM

yep, I too am still disappointed that footage has not seen its way to home video

#38 of 56 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 20 2009 - 02:26 PM

Robert, could you comment about how Kubrick achieved the look of Dr. Strangelove. So many shots are gritty and not robustly detailed. The airbase battle scenes that look like newsreel footage would be an example of what I'm on about. Most of the film looks as if it was shot so as to mute detail atleast some to me. Have you any thoughts for this teenage fallout queen....?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#39 of 56 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,286 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted June 20 2009 - 05:24 PM

The booklet insert refers to it as "lost footage" so presumably Sony doesn't know it exists. Kubrick himself cut the scene, saying that "it was too farcical and not consistent with the satirical tone of the rest of the film."
Rich Gallagher

#40 of 56 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 21 2009 - 04:02 AM

You saw the footage? How was it?
"Here's looking at you, kid."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users