What's new

Mildew in a safe? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have a safe in my house that holds some videos, passports and some insurance paperwork. I went into it and it smelled a bit wierd. I just noticed the passports have a light mold/mildew stains on it. The safe is not in an area that is air conditioned and heated. Its also not getting wet. Their is a desicant pack. What is this from? And should I just clean it out and that will be it?

Thanks!

CRyan

Screenwriter
It must get humid on occasion for the mildew to be there (a climate controlled area would likely prevent this). I would think about relocating the safe if that is a possibility. Either way, clean it out with bleach (including cleaning off anything that will go into the safe). Make sure it dries completely before closing it back up obviously. Also, desicant can only absorb so much moisture then it stops working. So I would consider replacing the desicant every month or so (and possibly use more of it).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Its in a climate controlled area...My closet. Nothing of monetary value is in it. But, I will clean it out and replace the desicant. Thanks!

CRyan

Screenwriter
OH! ok. I understand now. Well, with little air moving around it being in a closet, the slightest bit of dampness will just sit and grow things.

Might consider putting something like this in the closet itslef.

Amazon.com: Rp 2000 #DZA-U Dri Z Air Unit: Health & Personal Care

or this

http://www.damprid.com/

Available at Target or Home Depot

Of course get ready for the onslaught of silica posts forthcoming.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice. I took every thing out and cleaned it out with cleaner with bleach. Its wierd some of the papers I had in there almost felt wet. Its bizarre.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody else first thought on this thread is "Why would somebody put mildew in a safe"???

BTW, I have seen bags that are used to reduce the humidy in a seasonal cabin, a bit more reusable than the disposable silica gel bag...

Jay

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

Dispose of silica?? :eek::eek: Blasphemy!!

Nuke them in the microwave and they are as good as new from what I have heard

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, you know one can never actually dispose of silica in the universe, it's a constant. They just go to Silica Nirvana til the next pair of hiking boots comes out (My hiking boots seem to be shipped with a bag of silica gel in them)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks