Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#21 of 141 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted July 28 2003 - 11:20 PM

Not getting my hopes up.... but:

"Fans will be able to view the action from multiple cameras"

sounds cool - all Peart all the time.

Hopefully they will have an angle devoted to the Rio crowd. Some of their populace is quite "camera friendly" Posted Image

#22 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 26 2003 - 08:07 AM

Check the last item in today's (August 26) MusicTap.net post for what Matt Rowe says is the Rush In Rio cover art.

Paul

#23 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 09:20 AM

So what happened to "Exit Stage Left," "Grace Under Pressure" and "A Show of Hands" dvds? They were supposed to be released in early 2002 and nearly a year and a half later we still haven't heard anything?

#24 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 09:53 AM

Kyle:

Re your post above, to my knowledge there is no definitive word regarding what happened to the alleged 2002 release of ASoH, GUP and ESL.

At first, I speculated that the releases didn't happen due to the still-ongoing, widely-reported management shuffling and corporate turmoil at Universal in recent times (former Vivendi Universal CEO Jean-Marie Messier's ouster, the attempted sale of the company's American entertainment assets [Universal Studios, the theme parks and Universal Music Group] . . . the most recent round of bids were tendered by Edgar Bronfman, Jr., John Malone's Liberty and GE's NBC this past Monday).

But I dismissed this theory long ago. UMG's DVD-A and SACD announcements this year further proved that that idea doesn't hold water (if they have their sh*t together enough to release catalog hi rez titles, one would at least think they'd be able to do catalog DVD-V releases).

I was told at the time by a player in the online Rush fan community that Anthem--which I understand to be a management firm and vanity label imprint that has Rush as its biggest client--worked on supplemental material to be included on some of these releases.

I'm now surmising that the e-mail Brett says he received in the post that started this thread was premature and perhaps not even authorized by Universal. Bands and/or their management firms don't typically own the master tapes of their/their clients' work (Metallica is a rare exception), so--although what I learned was allegedly corroborated by Anthem's Pegi Cicconi (whose name you'll see in later Rush album liner notes), it doesn't compute that Anthem could "confirm" release dates. That's Universal's call.

If anyone has more info., by all means chime in, but the answer to your question from my perspective at this time is 'we still don't know.'

Paul

#25 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 10:04 AM

SRO is Rush's management, but the people who run SRO also have a hand in Anthem, Rush's personal/management label. Anthem may own/partially own the back catalog.

Those titles were released when Rush was on Mercury, so Universal owns Mercury Records?

Maybe it has something to do with Rush putting out the album and touring last year. But I'm sure the label knew about that in advance. I assume there were tentative plans that got held up. I just hope when they put these shows out, they release the entire setlist they did that night. I don't want an exact copy of the laser discs.

#26 of 141 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 26 2003 - 02:10 PM

Pretty ugly cover for the Rush In Rio disc. I know that's the dinosaur from the "One Little Victory" video, but ecch...

#27 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 04:17 PM

Anyone interested:

Click here for misplaced continuation of this thread:

http://www.hometheat....10#post1733710

Paul

#28 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 04:09 AM

I had to revive this thread since I was the one who started it.

I found this blurb on the Power Windows fan site. I hope that there is some validity to this, especially the R-30 show.
Rush DVD's Coming Soon: An advertisement for Fogo (www.fogolabs.com, a Canadian duplication company), found on the back cover of the new Canadian Entertainment Network magazine, includes its list of their upcoming 2005 DVD releases including: RUSH - R-30; RUSH - EXIT STAGE LEFT; RUSH - GRACE UNDER PRESSURE; and RUSH - A SHOW OF HANDS. Unofficially, R-30 is expected to be released Oct. 15th, 2005, with the other three releases expected in early 2006. - June 27, 2005

#29 of 141 ONLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,574 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 07 2005 - 04:14 AM

Great news! Let's hope they get the PQ right this time. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#30 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 08:33 AM

I'll believe it when I see the discs.

It seems unlikely to me that a duplication company (as opposed to Anthem, a rights holder or a production company) would be announcing/touting new releases.

And that Fogo Labs link doesn't work.

-p

#31 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 08:36 AM

No appropriate Google hits for "Fogo" or "Fogo Labs" either. -p

#32 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 11:10 AM

And that Fogo Labs link doesn't work.

Try just the www.fogolabs.com

There was a comma in the article when I copied and pasted the information. They do have a website. Here is the main page (they are currently updating their website).

We are currently having our website renovated.
Please visit again.

FogoLabs offers artists, record labels and production houses end-to-end production services for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, HDTV, broadcast TV, film and studio projects.

Call us before, during or after you record. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest quality ...on time, on target and on budget.

General Inquiry
T: 514-848-9117
F: 514-282-1312

admin@fogolabs.com

Audio/Video Production

production@fogolabs.com

Graphics & Design

design@fogolabs.com

Archive & Restoration

archive@fogolabs.com

Clients

The Who
Harry Connick Jr
Willie Nelson
Alanis Morissette
Rush
Branford Marsalis
The Stray Cats
Sum41
Aimee Mann
The Tragically Hip
Pete Townshend
Deep Purple
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Counting Crows
Dave Matthews
Slipknot
Neil Young
John Mellencamp
& more

I agree with you, Paul, I will believe it when I see it.

#33 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 01:14 PM

I guess trying the General Inquiry phone number might yield some answers.

#34 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 01:31 PM

Thx, Brett. Persnickety Google: "Fogo" and "Fogo Labs" did not return a hit, but "FogoLabs" did. Posted Image

Curious/annoying that the artist links don't take you to information on the projects Fogo purportedly did for them but intead to a VH1 site. Posted Image

I think maybe an e-mail might be more productive than a phone call. You try the latter and I'll try the former and report back with findings, if any?

-p

#35 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 01:41 PM

Another problematic quibble: October 15, 2005, the purported "R-30" release date, is a Saturday.

-p

#36 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 01:53 PM

Well apparently the mag does exist:

http://www.canadiane...entnetwork.com/

Can any HTFers up in the Great White North track down a copy of the issue with the ad referred to in the quoted post above from the PW fan site?

-p

#37 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 04:40 PM

Brett et al.:

Shock'n Y'all. I e-mailed FogoLabs and got a couple of prompt, illuminating responses.

Scroll down to the last e-mail, which was the first of the exchange, and read 'backwards' towards the top if you wish to read the thread in order.

Quote:
Hi Paul,

HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray is most definitely in the works for R-30. But it will be relased on standard DVD before as the market is not yet ready for high def DVDs.

You'll be reading and hearing about it before you know it.

Drop us a line once you have seen it. Take care.

Coordination
FogoLabs

On 8-Jul-05, at 12:11 AM, Paul****(at)aol.com wrote:
Dear Sir:

Thank you not only for a response but such a prompt one.

I have admittedly not seen the ad I referred to, but rather only an Internet mention of it. Apparently the Internet blurb indicating that October 15, 2005 is the release date for R-30 is inaccurate. I suspected as much, as I am well aware that Fogo is a production company and that a release date announcement would (for me, since I am in Los Angeles) come from Atlantic Records' parent Warner Music Group.

Wonderful to hear that the Frankfurt R-30 shoot was HD. In addition to the hopefully-imminent standard definition DVD-Video release, I hope this may mean that the label will see fit to release an HD DVD or Blu-ray version of the concert with an uncompressed surround sound mix at some point in the future.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Paul S****

In a message dated 7/7/05 8:46:10 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, FogoLabs writes:

Hello Paul,

Thank you for writing.

FogoLabs produced the R-30 high-definition concert shoot in Frankfurt, Germany last September and some of the post-production work was done at our studios. Yes, we've also worked on the previous Rush titles you mentionned that are being prepared for DVD.

Depending on where you live in this world, Rush albums are released by SRO-Anthem Records though either Warner Music or Universal Music. That has not changed. FogoLabs is not a label and we never announced any release dates for these titles. You need to ask you local record store and keep posted through the Internet to hear about the release dates when they are announced by SRO-Anthem and their licensees and distributors.

As with Hollywood movies, these DVD projects can take quite some time to prepare. What we announced in our ad was that we were a production company that had worked on these upcoming projects. Nothing more. We don't know where you got the Oct. 15th date from, that is, according to our knowledge, inaccurate. But stay tuned, you will be hearing about the date(s) soon.

Kindly.

Coordination
FogoLabs

On 7-Jul-05, at 9:59 PM, Paul****(at)aol.com wrote:

Dear Sirs:

It's my understanding that there is a FogoLabs ad on the back cover of a recent issue of Canadian Entertainment Network magazine which refers to four DVD releases on which Fogo has worked for the rock group Rush (R-30, EXIT . . . STAGE LEFT, GRACE UNDER PRESSURE and A SHOW OF HANDS).

Given that Fogo's Website is currently being revised and no further information on these releases is available therein, I'm hoping the company could provide some additional information directly.

For instance, is Fogo able to confirm the October 15, 2005 release date (which is a Saturday) mentioned in the ad for R-30?

Also, might there be further information available regarding release dates for the other three titles?

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Paul S****
Awesome Blu-ray/HD DVD news. I just hope it doesn't take another seven years.

Oh and let's avoid showering this kind soul with e-mails, shall we? It seems as though he's shared about as much as he can at this time.

-p

#38 of 141 OFFLINE   Zane Charron

Zane Charron

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 11:24 PM

I sure hope they do something more with the 3 older Rush concert videos than merely port them over to DVD, like Chronicles. I would still buy them, but it would be a pretty crappy effort.

#39 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 12:28 AM

That link just had a stray comma in it. Try this. I don't think fogo is advertising these shows, they are just listing shows they are working on to try to get more business. Fogo was not the company Rush used for "Rush in Rio", but that doesn't mean the company isn't legit.

#40 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 12:37 AM

Here is a link to a pic of the actual ad.

Also, Rush's website announced several years ago that the 3 older shows were being worked on for dvd release, so Fogo didn't let the cat out of the bag on that. The Rush fan community has also known for quite a while that one of the German shows was filmed in HiDef, so there isn't much surprise on the R30 dvd either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users