Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Brewing Mead

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Samuel Des

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 04 2001 - 07:39 AM

Hey, has anyone here brewed mead before? I've only heard accounts of what it tastes like. I really would like to make my own and try it!
I am made out of water. You wouldn't know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 04 2001 - 08:24 AM

I brewed some a few years ago. First, be careful when you boil your honey. It will boil over quickly and it's a mess to clean up. Second, it takes a long time to ferment. Maybe it was my yeast (Montroche Champaign yeast) but it took almost a year for four gallons. I racked it every other month. It came out a little sweet for my taste but VERY strong. -Robert

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Samuel Des

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 04 2001 - 08:27 AM

[quote]

it took almost a year for four gallons.

[quote]
:shock: Holy cow! Was it worth the wait? I don't think I could wait that long!
I am made out of water. You wouldn't know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 04 2001 - 10:41 AM

For me, it wasn't worth the wait. It tied up one of my carboys that I could have been using for beer brewing.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Samuel Des

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted December 04 2001 - 12:30 PM

You mentioned that it was overly sweet to your tastes. The thing about it is, i'd like to just try it before going through the expense, &c. of making it. I think I'm going to check out some of those home brew clubs, ask for experiences about mead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users