-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So I got robbed over the holidays....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 12:05 PM

...and the robbers made a total mess of my house in the process.

I came back from visiting my family today, and now my HT setup is pretty much gone (no more plasma HDTV, BD players, HD DVD players, DVD players, Xbox 360, Wii, games, digital cameras, etc), the thieves did leave older HT items, but unfortunately, they took all my remote controls, rendering my remaining gear pretty much useless at the moment.

It won't be fun cleaning up the place, that's for sure.

But, it's only stuff. All of it can be replaced, more of less, but just the feeling of being ripped off over the holidays just flat out sucks.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 77 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 27 2008 - 12:20 PM

So sorry to hear about this Patrick. I've been burglarized twice, but it's been more than 20 years since the last time it happened. I do remember the feeling of helplessness, and the sick feeling of knowing someone else went thru all my things.

But as you said, it's just stuff that can be replaced and thankfully you weren't home at the time. I wish you better luck from here on out.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 77 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted December 27 2008 - 12:29 PM

Wow, that stinks. Hope the find the idiots that did it.

I often wonder if it is a bad idea to put pictures on boards like this one and on personal websites. It is kind of like advertising for crooks. "Hey, look at all the expensive stuff I have. Come rob me. "

#4 of 77 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 12:39 PM

But at least you can show the insurance company what you had! Posted Image

#5 of 77 Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 01:28 PM

Patrick, just wanted to say I'm very sorry that those losers took what wasn't theirs. You seem to have a healthy outlook about it. I hope you're able to replace the gear easily.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#6 of 77 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 27 2008 - 01:38 PM

Sorry to hear about it Patrick! I hope your insurance pays out well!

#7 of 77 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 02:14 PM

That really stinks! The silver lining is the insurance company will probably end up paying for you to get the newest equipment. If you have replacement insurance they will pay the replacement value of the stolen equipment. Then you can upgrade and make up the difference.

#8 of 77 Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 02:52 PM

You're not alone Patrick.

I worked all day Christmas before heading straight to my grandmothers for a gift exchange. I was so tired afterwards that I decided to wait until morning to bring in my presents. I was off the day after Christmas, at around noon my sister called me asking if I wanted to run to a few stores with her. Long story short, I go out to my car to find my front window smashed and all of my gifts, some inexpensive tools and my old Ipod gone. Pretty shitty Christmas for me as well, altho its nowhere near as bad as your story it really affects my, as it turns out, false sense of security I had living in this apartment complex. My car was parked only 20ft from my bedroom window. I went and filed a police report but other then that what can I do. $500 deductible is hardly worth what was stolen and since I already managed to get my window replaced by an old neighbor who owns a bodyshop at not much cost ill probably not bother dealing with my insurance.

Some people are just assholes.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#9 of 77 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 02:57 PM

Sorry to hear this, Patrick. I hope the insurance company is fast and fair. Did they steal your DVDs too? I tend to think of equipment as being more replaceable but I would hate to lose my DVD collection, that is much more personal. So many DVDs have a story behind them, or were gifts.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#10 of 77 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, I just remembered there was either 1 or 2 long boxes of DVDs that is now missing, and some of them were hard to get at the time, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

#11 of 77 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 04:02 PM

Did they get your computer too or was it with you/safe?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 77 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,042 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 27 2008 - 04:49 PM

wow, didnt you have serious water damage a year or so ago too?
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 77 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 27 2008 - 05:34 PM

Very sorry to hear it! I don't take stuff like that, as calmly as you do, I'm afraid. It happened to me once, many years ago. They got stereo gear, albums, camera. A few nights later, a guy tried to sell the camera, to someone that recognized it. They told me who was selling it. I went to see him. He took me to the stuff, and needless to say, I got it all back, except the albums. He said they were scattered. I lucked up. I didn't have insurance........... Posted Image
I hope you get lucky, and can replace everything. Check the pawn shops....
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#14 of 77 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
wow, didnt you have serious water damage a year or so ago too?

Yup, I'm changing my name to "Job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
Did they get your computer too or was it with you/safe?

For some reason, they ignored it... this time around. I was shocked it was still here. Perhaps they plan on a return visit?

The cops claim that if you pawn stuff at the pawn shops, you have to get fingerprinted and photographed. Not sure if that's true, but that was the first I'd heard of such measures at pawn shops.

#15 of 77 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 27 2008 - 05:53 PM

Perhaps we can use Patricks unfortunate incident as a reminder to take pictures and make note of model and serial numbers. Police and insurance companies realy like to have this information.

Also, there are other things you can do to make something like this a little less likely to happen. I have fake alarm co. stickers on all my windows and doors, motion sensor flood lights outside and a red blinking light inside my front and back doors (visible thru the windows) to simulate an alarm pad. There's no way to absolutely prevent it from happenning but every little bit helps.
Quote:
Perhaps they plan on a return visit?
I didn't want to mention it in my first post but that's how I got hit twice. They came back a couple of months later. After the first loss the Police warned me there may be a return visit because they know people replace what was taken the first time and they are familiar with the layout.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#16 of 77 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 07:05 PM

Patrick, I have a spare HD-DVD A20. It's yours if you want it. I'll get it shipped to you after the first of the year. I wish there was more I had spares of. I have a crap load of cables, so, let me know if you need any of those as well. I am so sorry to hear about this happening to you. I was held up at gunpoint and it made me so fucking angry. I would love to meet the guy again who did it. Just me and him without his gun. Take care, man.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#17 of 77 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 07:41 PM

I'd first be suspicious (or is it paranoid?) of neighbor's teenage or college-age children, before I believed it was professional robbers. I'm sure neighbors would get quite pissed at me if I sent out a newsletter asking for them to keep an eye on any unexpected "purchases" their kids may have suddenly made...purchases that left no boxes or packaging, which they may claim they got on Craigslist or something.

Speaking of Craigslist, you should be checking that every day now too, sadly. Won't be clear what cities to include in the search though since you don't know where the robbers live.

This sucks.

More consumer electronics should have computer locks. Though I suppose the thieves had plenty of time to cut the cables, so I suppose that would have done no good; it would have only delayed them.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#18 of 77 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 11:46 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Like you said, it is only stuff that can easily be replaced. You and your family are safe which is the important thing.

My husband and I were burglarized many years ago. We actually came home to the people still in our house. Fortunately no one got hurt and because we came home early, they got nothing from us.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#19 of 77 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 28 2008 - 02:05 AM

Patrick, that's appalling. You have my condolences, and Susan sends hers.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#20 of 77 JoeyR

JoeyR

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted December 28 2008 - 03:17 AM

Sorry to hear that, I was robbed about 6 months after Katrina, they ripped my dashboard open and took my radio and other things from my truck.

Time to get a home alarm system and a nice new pistol.

Forum Nav Content I Follow