-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wizard of Oz/Gone with the Wind 70th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 12:40 PM

Round 12? how many times has "Oz" been re-released?

Amazon has art work up for both the standard and Blu Ray releases of "The Wizard of OZ' and "Gone With the Wind" both to come in deluxe packaging - like the recent "I am Legend" set - no release date is set yet. Both celebrating their 70TH Anniversary in 2009

#2 of 30 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,135 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 15 2008 - 01:04 PM

I'll upgrade to BD. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 30 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 02:17 PM

I can't wait to see Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind on Blu-ray. That much is good news.

Are these newly remastered? by a different personage than before? Is there any indication that the willful, destructive, and highly subjective color alterations imposed on the previous box-sets have been corrected?

#4 of 30 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 03:39 PM

I'm interested to see what additional special features these will have. There isn't much more they could do, but off the top of my head it would be great to have some of those GWTW screen tests available in full.

#5 of 30 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 03:49 PM

I think the burning of Atlanta would be something to see in high-definition.

#6 of 30 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,192 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:10 PM

Here's the artwork...

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just think...we'll only have to wait a mere five years to see what Warners does for the 75th!! ;-)

#7 of 30 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hanging Munchkin in Hi-Def! Posted Image

#8 of 30 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 15 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hopefully the BDs are the last time I have to buy either of these titles.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 30 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,403 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 15 2008 - 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Hopefully the BDs are the last time I have to buy either of these titles.
You and me, both. Off the top of my head, I think this will be my fourth purchase of "The Wizard of Oz" on DVD/Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 30 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,897 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 16 2008 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
You and me, both. Off the top of my head, I think this will be my fourth purchase of "The Wizard of Oz" on DVD/Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy

For me as well and also the big ULTIMATE OZ laserdisc box, and two VHS releases. I love the film, but enough is enough!

#11 of 30 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 03:39 AM

There will never be an ultimate edition of oz, unless they include the alternate Pink Floyd soundtrack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#12 of 30 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:09 AM

As if that will ever happen Posted Image. Led Zeppelin didn't want Stairway to Heaven to be used in Almost Famous, so Pink Floyd is never going to let a studio use an entire album just as a bonus feature. It would cost an enormous amount, I think.
But it's great to dream, I guess Posted Image.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 30 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:18 AM

I can live without the Pink Floyd album. I actually saw the two synced up in a movie theater that ran it off of a DVD dub of a dub of a dub of a VHS tape. It was an excruciating experience, and it cured me of any desire to listen to Pink Floyd ever again.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#14 of 30 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
As if that will ever happen Posted Image. Led Zeppelin didn't want Stairway to Heaven to be used in Almost Famous, so Pink Floyd is never going to let a studio use an entire album just as a bonus feature. It would cost an enormous amount, I think.
But it's great to dream, I guess Posted Image.
Well they did allow TCM to broadcast the film back in 2000 with Dark Side of the Moon as a SAP track so its not completely impossible.

#15 of 30 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:28 AM

OK- just what new extras will these releases have that the last ones didn't? If it's basically the same stuff as before, no thank you. I already have the OZ 3-disc set, and the GWTW 4-disc set. If stuff is created for additional discs, I'll change my mind. Details, anyone?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#16 of 30 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:29 AM

I thought everyone could tell I was joking about the pink floyd thing.Ive experienced some of this on you tube , it was terrible .

#17 of 30 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Well they did allow TCM to broadcast the film back in 2000 with Dark Side of the Moon as a SAP track so its not completely impossible.

Really? I'd want to see that.

And Tony, we do know, but it's a great discussion subject, nonetheless. I've also seen bits of it on YouTube, and it didn't totally convince me either. I'd like to do it properly, but my copy of WoO is in PAL, so it's not going to sync very well.
Now 'Echoes' and 'Jupiter Beyond the Infinite' from 2001: A Space Odyssey work together extremely well, down to the length of the sequence and the song. It's a good experience (again, look on YouTube).
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#18 of 30 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 10:49 AM

Well, the only part thats kind of hilarious is when Dorothy enters oz, and they have the money song playing,lol !!!!!!!

#19 of 30 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 08:42 PM

OK, thats it-Im stopping at iteration #10 of WOZ
Ill sign anything...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#20 of 30 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,704 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 16 2008 - 11:02 PM

(love the snow on the buttons and stuff here. My vote for most festive board by a long shot!! Posted Image ho ho ho!!! )

I'm all over these...adding to the list of first BDs I'll buy when I finally get a player. Glad I didn't upgrade before because I almost did on both these several times.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow