What's new

Heathers: 20th Anniversary Blu-ray - image problems? (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty impressed by the new transfer on the Blu-Ray. The colors are much stronger than anticipated. I've seen this film countless times on VHS, Laserdisc and the earlier DVDs. It feels much less hazy and I'm noticing greater detail. However, I've noticed a slight jitter or flutter to the image. At first I thought it might have to do with the opening titles, but I noticed it when I scanned through to other scenes. Could this be my Blu-ray copy? I'm watching it through a PS3 on a 1080i HDTV. Any comments would be much appreciated. I also purchased the regular Blu-Ray not the Locker Set Edition through Amazon at $11.99

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I can't say I noticed any jitter or flutter when I watched this with my wife; but this is one of our favorite movies, and odds are good we were both too wrapped up in the film itself to notice.

I agree with your assessment that, on the whole, I was very satisfied with this release. After the Evil Dead II fiasco, I was really worried Heathers was going to be another victim of excessive DNR.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I'm pretty sure the issue you are referring to is inherent in the master, probably caused by sprocket wear on the print source. I've read comments that it is on the S-DVD too, but not as noticeable due to the lower resolution (and probably the smaller screens it is viewed upon.) It could have been corrected digitally had they invested the resources, but frankly I'm amazed this disc looks as good as it does. I don't think the problem is bad enough for my tastes, i.e. to be distracting from my enjoyment of this wonderful film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get this. One of my favorite films of the 80's.
Unfortunately I'm sort strapped with the Holiday cash flow problem.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

Having watched the Blu-ray last week, that's pretty much what I was about to post here.

powerknowledge

Auditioning
Real Name
Kjel Johnson
I just received my copy today, and noticed this "flutter/jitter" immediately, and throughout the film. It's very noticeable, and slightly headache-inducing. None of the "official/professional" reviews make any note of this at all, which makes me wonder whether there are pressing issues or player compatibility issues at stake.

To that end: I'm running a Panny BD-30 (latest FW: 2.6) to a Sony 60A2020 SXRD at 1080p. What else are people running who have / are noticing this issue?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Screen size will make the jitter more apparent. If you want something truly headache inducing, watch a print in the theatre on the front row during the end credits; it's dizzying.

powerknowledge

Auditioning
Real Name
Kjel Johnson

So the jitter is inherent to the elements? (I was 13 when this was first theatrically released, and have never been able to catch a "real" projection, so I'd have no idea if this is a source, rather than transfer, issue.)

The thing is, I can't say I've noticed this jitter on any previous release or TV broadcast, but then again I'd only seen those on a 32" (max) SD screen...I'll have to bust out my old SD disc and compare...

EDIT:
OK, just re-read post #3, re: sprocket wear on the master. That would point to bad telecine, but not necessarily a jitter truly inherent to the source elements...anyone here actually recall seeing the film projected in its early run? [crickets]

Anyone else wish that, say, Criterion would pick up this title? Or anyone other than Anchor Bay?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks