-

Photo
- - - - -

Y-splitter question please help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   familyguy

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 03:54 AM

since i cant do PLIIx through my player what if i did it manaully.
what i mean is i could get two rca y connectors and connect both to the surround left and right outputs of the blu ray player. Then since the surround outputs are split into two, now take both and input them on both the surround and surround back inputs of the receiver.

in other words i split the surround output of the BD player and use this signal for both the surround and surround back speakers.

However, im pretty sure this will operate but what i dont know is about the splitt. If i splitt the surround output from the blu ray player into two (and thats for both left and right) will this degrade the signal quality and therefore will degrade the sound for all 4 of the surround speakers? i hope you all understand what im saying.

thanks!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   familyguy

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 03:55 AM

ok thanks, since i cant do PLIIx through my player what if i did it manaully.
what i mean is i could get two rca y connectors and connect both to the surround left and right outputs of the blu ray player. Then since the surround outputs are split into two, now take both and input them on both the surround and surround back inputs of the receiver.

in other words i split the surround output of the BD player and use this signal for both the surround and surround back speakers.

However, im pretty sure this will operate but what i dont know is about the splitt. If i splitt the surround output from the blu ray player into two (and thats for both left and right) will this degrade the signal quality and therefore will degrade the sound for all 4 of the surround speakers? i hope you all understand what im saying.

thanks!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
i hope you all understand what im saying.
Not really, but it's no problem splitting an analog audio signal. Combining two audio signals with a Y splitter might not be a good thing, however. As long as you're not doing that, you should be okay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 08:14 AM

I've merged your two threads. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. Thanks!
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Buddy17

Buddy17

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 04:36 PM

if i understand correctly....

you will have to connect the whole system in analog, as in each channel will have to hooked up with its own RCA cable. You can't use a digital line for the mains, center, and sub, and then use an analog cable for your surrounds.

I don't understand why you need this done though...maybe try explaining yourself...

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Combining two audio signals with a Y splitter might not be a good thing, however.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
OK, can someone help me with this? Forgive me my ignorance.

I want to get a separate basic 2 channel receiver (<$250, 90+watts RMS) for my dad to power 2 speakers on his back deck; however, given the locations of the speakers each needs to run in mono mode and not L-R stereo. I haven't found a receiver which will output mono (except for the FM tuner, of course), and want the ability to connect analog signals from a CD player and a satellite receiver so they can listen to tv outside.

Can I not combine the L-R outputs from the CD player or sat receiver into mono with the Y cable? If not, now can I go about accomplishing this task? Special way to wire the speakers to the receiver?

Forum Nav Content I Follow