-

Photo
- - - - -

Blue-Ray Player on Older TV's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 jazzman

jazzman

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 04:44 AM

Hi,

Please excuse these questions if they sound naive!

I haven't purchased an HD TV yet and was wondering if you can connect a Blue Ray player to an older TV?

If so, how will the movies look? Posted Image

Again sorry for what may seem like dumb question, but since I hope to be getting a new TV in the near future I would prefer not to spend money on DVD's that are not Blue-Ray. Posted Image

Thanks,
Sal

#2 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,954 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 13 2008 - 05:08 AM

Yes, you can. BD players have composite and component video outputs in addition to HDMI and output on composite is limited to 480i (what an NTSC TV is capable of displaying). If you want to use the component outs, you'll have to adjust the resolution output in the player before hooking these up. You can do this by hooking up with the composite output first and going to the setup menu. There, you'll adjust the output to 480i and then you'll be able to hook up you component outs. If you try to adjust through the component outs, all you'll get onscreen is an unintelligible mess and you'll have to guess at the settings.

As for how the movies will look, when I first hooked up my HD DVD player to a 480i display, the improvement was very subtle. Certain details resolved more cleanly, and colour was cleaner as well. This was using the component outs.

As has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, you can hook up your receiver through the optical out for surround sound, but you'll be limited to what your receiver can decode i.e. Dolby True HD will output as Dolby Digital, DTS HD MA will output only the core DTS signal, etc.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 11 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 05:09 AM

Most have composite and component video outputs, so it's possible. I haven't tried it myself, but my experience connecting another HD video source (my DVR) to an NTSC television is that you do get a clearer picture, thanks to less compression and better color.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 11 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,348 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 13 2008 - 11:41 AM

I too have noticed that the SD DVD output of my BD player (PS3) is slightly but noticeably better than my well-rated SD DVD player. Via the component outputs. I attribute this to the much larger bandwidth of the chips/circuits involved...but it could be something else. I doubt it's because I'm getting "more info" from the discs in SD, it's just what I'm getting is less deteriorated by the higher bandwidth.

#5 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 01:25 PM

Exactly. Higher bandwidth+ better compression= less artifacting.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 11 jazzman

jazzman

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info ... so if understand the posts I should be able to hook the Blue-Ray player to my older TV and play Blue-Ray DVD's as long as I set the output to 480i ... is that correct?

Again thanks,
Sal

#7 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 04:43 PM

By George, I think you've got it! Posted Image

#8 of 11 jazzman

jazzman

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 02:14 AM

Thanks ...

#9 of 11 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 06:49 AM

Oh, and welcome to the HTF!

#10 of 11 naitea

naitea

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thank you very much for the answers to the same question I was going to ask about attaching a Blu-Ray dvd to an older model tv. All of a sudden my Comcast Cable Bill jumped up $100.00 today. I called them for an explanation. Once they explained the reason for the sudden increase. I told them I was switching to Netflix. However, I was also wondering if I can a blu ray dvd on an older model tv. Thank you again for the answers. naitea

#11 of 11 naitea

naitea

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 06:59 AM

Your questions are just fine. I have the same question because Comcast Cable suddenly increased our monthly Bill by $100.00. I told them I'm switching to Netflix like everybody else. I just need to be able to attach a Blu Ray DVD player to my older model tv by setting my output to 480i. Thanks again for this discussion on Home Theatre Forum. naitea