What's new

Warner Romantic Classics in January '09 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has the news:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 9 digitally remastered romantic classics and modern favourites on 27th January 2009. All titles are new-to-DVD (in North America) and are split in two groups:

The All-Star Romance group of titles features Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969), Far From the Madding Crowd, The Yellow Rolls Royce, Waterloo Bridge (1940) and Cannery Row, available as single titles and each selling for $19.97 SRP.

The Warner Bros. Romance Classics Collection features a quartet of ‘60s screen hits, featuring that decade’s teen heartthrob Troy Donahue, and his famous leading ladies including Connie Stevens and Suzanne Pleshette. The collection includes Palm Springs Weekend, Parrish, Rome Adventure and Susan Slade. These titles will be sold as a Collection only for $39.92 SRP.

There are no extras listed. Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969) is the original full-length roadshow version while Far From the Madding Crowd presents the film in its original uncut form, as seen in its international release.

Fabulous news - just a pity the first group aren't in a box set...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Wow What great news to wake up to. I've been waiting for all of those titles since the inception of DVD! I now have hope that the Natalie Wood collection will not be far off. I hope this is the begining of a great 2009 for classic catalog titles.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Waterloo Bridge!!!! At long last!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
All I can say is that 2009 is already an amazing year for DVDs as far as I am concerned!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
What exactly is the running time of the "international version" of FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD? My lbxed vhs lists 168 minutes, and the longest version of the film listed by imdb is 170 minutes in Finland.

All in all, a terrific selection. Who would have thunk a Troy Donahue collection? I hope that A DISTANT TRUMPET by Raoul Walsh will show up in the next Western collection.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Great news. I love Waterloo Bridge, even though it is acclaimed, to me it is a very under-rated film.

The musical Goodbye Mr. Chips is a film I have always wanted to see, so this is great news as well.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you Warner Brothers for Waterloo Bridge! The other day I was thinking Warner should release some classics for Valentine's Day. Wow I didn't expect this!

My birthday is January 26th and these come out the 27th! Hooray! Waterloo Bridge will be on my birthday wish list for sure, and if no one buys it I will buy it as a present for myself!

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
the best news for years! PLEASE PLEASE Warner's if yo are reading this make sure The Yellow Rolls Royce and Goodbye Mr Chips are the FULL roadshow versions.......

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping the extras are to be updated because Goodbye Mr Chips has several things that can be included. It will be very, very disappointing, if this film does not come with the exhibitor preview trailer (with an edited song and alternate takes). I will purchase it I was hoping for all the bells and whistles.

Corey

Screenwriter
I'll just be purchasing Waterloo Bridge. I hope a featurette on Vivien Leigh is included.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
No Forbidden Hollywood Volume 3 before the New Year :frowning: Oh well, maybe they will release one in March like last year.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

TCM has the complete 188 minute roadshow version of Raintree County. I think they copied this from a private collector's 35mm print. I too would like to see this released on Blu-ray.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I have fond memories of seeing the Troy Donahue movies when they first aired on the CBS Thursday (I think) night movies in the '60s.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Douglas R you are right re yellow rolls royce non roadshow.. but i think it ran for 6 months at the Empire Leicester Sq in 1965 in 70mm.....

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Douglas R you are right re yellow rolls royce non roadshow.. but i think it ran for 6 months at the Empire Leicester Sq in 1965 in 70mm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks