Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 11:42 PM

A whole new Funshine Saturday was dawning on ABC Television.

Posted Image Posted Image

Previous-season's hit Hong Kong Phooey and new arrival Speed Buggy (from CBS) were back for a whole new season of repeats.

Posted Image

Jim Nabors and Ruth Buzzi played 2 time-travelling futuristic androids who land on present-day Earth and inexplicably invite a young boy and his babysitter to check out the interior of The Lost Saucer.

Posted Image

Ink-and-paint renditions of Gilligan, The Skipper, and the rest of The Shipwrecked 7 returned for a second season of new animated hijinks on The New Adventures Of Gilligan.

Posted Image

Match Game 75 regular Charles Nelson Reilly donned a crocodile outfit and made sport of kiddie TV fare in the delightful, short-lived romp, Uncle Croc's Block.

Posted Image

A fastidious feline and a messy mutt put Neil Simon's award winning play (and adjoining 1968 movie and hitherto canceled ABC primetime sitcom editions) to shame as The Oddball Couple.

Posted Image

And a legendary cat-and-mouse duo would put to rest a 35-year feud (if only temporarily!) and join forces with a 40-foot purple ape and his beagle buddy to forge what would be Hanna-Barbera Productions, Incorporated's only new entry for the 1975-1976 fall season: The New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com
My TV Web Shrine

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jon Bell

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 03:38 AM

Aaron, nicely done. What was the source for your info? The new Saturday morning cartoons were the only consolation for the startup of the new school year. ABC always seemed to have the best lineup, plus, if I'm not mistaken, they also had Schoolhouse Rock. Does anyone remember when they would preview the new shows on the Friday night before the Saturday premieres?

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,072 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 05:22 AM

I remember as a kid getting all excited every September for the new cartoon shows on Saturday mornings. When I was 8. I kept the tv guide next to my bed the night before premiers to know when to watch. (pre-dvr and on-screen tv guide). I also remember the show they would air in primetime to introduce the new Saturday morning shows.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,685 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 13 2008 - 05:20 PM

exactly. i'm 44 now and when i was a kid in the 70's there was nothing i looked forward to more then the beginning of the new cartoon shows on saturday morning. I thought that friday night preview was on especially for me. good memories. the first description of the beagle on the grape ape show was that he was "a fast talking beagle" i had no idea what that menat so i just figured he spoke very quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users