Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Thief of Baghdad (1961) with Steve Reeves

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 29 2008 - 01:06 PM

Is there a reason this isn't available on DVD?

I've searched and can't find hide nor hair of this rascal.
Got the other one with Sabu, not nearly the same movie

thanks in advance,
G2
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 29 2008 - 03:22 PM

I have it on a P&S VHS tape that doesn't do the film justice but is all I've got. It's a great reminder of a film from my youth which I loved, and I wish I could find a good DVD copy of it.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted August 29 2008 - 06:40 PM

Quite a number of the "Peplum" films are not available on DVD. Most of them have fallen into the public domain in the USA, as evidenced by the huge selection of titles available from outfits like Alpha.

There are a decent selection of Pepla being released in Europe and there is actually a fullscreen Spanish disc of 'Thief of Baghdad, but with no English options, so we can only hope that it might get another release at some point.

If you want a Peplum fix, I can recommend a few titles on my website.
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 12:30 AM

Boy that is sad! it has been a VERY long time that I've seen that movie
I may have to search one out on vhs for now if at all possible!

G2
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 02:04 PM

FWIW I bought a copy of this on VHS on Ebay - turned out it was a bootleg that is barely watchable, contrary to the seller's description. Just a heads up to be careful.

Anyway, I'd love this on dvd if it is ever released. It may be heresy, but I prefer it to the Sabu version.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mazz
FWIW I bought a copy of this on VHS on Ebay - turned out it was a bootleg that is barely watchable, contrary to the seller's description. Just a heads up to be careful.

Anyway, I'd love this on dvd if it is ever released. It may be heresy, but I prefer it to the Sabu version.

I just watched the Sabu version, no comparison,
and thanks for the warning on the bootleg stuff !
G2

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 04:40 AM

Most of Steve Reeves' films were 'picked up' for distribution by studios like Warner Bros, MGM and United Artists. None of the studios have rights to release these films now and the original materials are probably sitting in Italian vaults. Apart from a few quality PAL transfers (eg. "Last Days of Pompeii") Steve Reeves' films remain to be poorly represented in the US, as previously mentioned, in PD with poorly tranferred video masters from pan & scan and 'Scope prints. Hopefully one day this will change and maybe we will see nice new HD transfers from original film materials.
Steve Pickard

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   MarT

MarT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:15 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just ordered a DVD of The Theif of Bagdad 1961 Steve Reeves from Sci-Fi Station (scifistation.com). I hope it's a good copy!

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 09 2011 - 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by MarT 

I know this is an old thread, but I just ordered a DVD of The Theif of Bagdad 1961 Steve Reeves from Sci-Fi Station (scifistation.com). I hope it's a good copy!

Please come back after you've watched it and let us know what you think. Quite a few of us here would be interested.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   MarT

MarT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 07:02 AM

will do!

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Marty!! - I will be eagerly awaiting your opinion too -- Loved this one when I was a kid!

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   MarT

MarT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:53 AM

I don't remember it clearly as I only saw it once as a child, but I will share my opinion as soon as I have one =)

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   MarT

MarT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 20 2011 - 03:21 PM

sorry it's taken so long to get back to Home Theater. I watched The Theif of Bagdad a while ago on a not-new standard DVD/VCR player. The quality of the copy at first seemed good (after the VERY uneven trailers, drive-in ads, etc that preceded it), but the movie jumped badly from scene to scene skipping huge sections. I have recently been emailing with Sci Fi Station, where the copy was purchased, asking for a better copy or a refund. I imagine you know how that went, but to summarize they said that the movie is actually a DVD-R and may not be compatible on an older DVD player.

Sci Fi Station have a number of suggestions for better quality play including: viewing on my pc, cleaning my player (normal DVDs play correctly), cleaning the disk, and removing the paper label. They take no responsibility for calling the copy a DVD and failing to mention that it is actually a DVD-R. Apparently there is a site-wide disclaimer about the products they sell, which I did not see as I linked directly to the item from a web search. They feel no need to change the listing of the individual products to DVD-R. They will not refund unless the copy is proven defective on a DVD-R compatible device and after all described methods for play have been exhausted. And of course they take no responsibility for inability to play on devices that are not DVD-R compatible.

So there you have it. I gave the copy to my brother and I am asking to borrow it back to attempt to play it on my pc. I can further update Home Theater after viewing on other devices. Fingers crossed!

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   MarT

MarT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 02:46 PM

I am pleased to be able to report that my brother was able to watch and thoroughly enjoy the DVD-R of The Thief of Baghdad on his DVD/Bluray player. As Sci Fi Station reported, be sure your player is DVD-R compatible before buying as they take no responsibility for your inability to play on your equipment. Or plan on watching on your pc. Enjoy!

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   mjgardenia

mjgardenia

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 17 2011 - 09:57 AM

Marty,

Thanks so much for the tip about "Thief Of Baghdad".  Ordered it last night from that website along with two other Steve Reeves classics "Hercules" and "Hercules Unchained".  They showed pictures of the anaphoric version they offered and even though the price seemed a bit steep ($29 each) I ordered those two as well.

I'm assuming that "Thief of Baghdad" was 4x3?

Joe

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted April 17 2011 - 11:22 AM

I thought the Home Theater Forum frowned on promoting bootlegs or illegal downloads?

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   mjgardenia

mjgardenia

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 17 2011 - 12:26 PM

According to the site these are not bootlegs but public domain.  I know both Hercules and Hercules Unchained are public domain and available on many low-budget labels with rather poor quality.  

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   mjgardenia

mjgardenia

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 08:22 AM

Got the DVD-R today.  Will admit a bit disappointed that he picture quality wasn't as good as I had hoped, however, it's more than acceptable and would rate the video about a 6 out of ten - worth it if one wants the movie.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   act1

act1

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 07 2011 - 09:50 AM

It was so nice to see that people are out there like me who love this stuff!! I just got a DVD from Amazon, mine is fine!! Whenever I mentioned this move to others, they'd think I was referring to Sabu--but low and behold others are out there who knew this movie existed. I love it from my childhood.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   hercules

hercules

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 18 2012 - 07:00 AM

HI THERE , I HAVE A VERY GOOD COPY ON DVD. NO PICTURE OR SOUND PROBLEMS EXCELLENT CONDITION I BOUGHT THIS ON E BAY 5 YEARS AGO FOR 30 POUNDS WILL SELL FOR 40 POUNDS POSTAGE TO BE PAID BY YOU THANKS KEITH ALSTON

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users