Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Photos from Rush concert

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 06:27 AM

Gave my new Canon S5 a workout at the recent Rush concert last week. The photos aren't all that great, and I was really far away, probably over 60 yards away, so I was maxing out the 12X zoom for most shots of Alex, Geddy and Neil on stage.

I took a lot of photos just to a feel for the limitation of the S5, so I'd be ready for Dragon Con at the end of August. Focusing in low-light conditions at the max end of the zoom did prove to be problematic at times (good to know). I mainly shot in manual mode with no flash (except for a couple of shots in the dark during intermission) and relied on the stage lighting for the evening with hit-and-miss results.

Part 1:
Rush concert - Part 1 - Atlanta 7/22/08 - a set on Flickr

Posted Image

Part 2:
Rush concert - Part 2 - Atlanta 7/22/08 - a set on Flickr

I have no idea why a guy in a chicken suit was on stage.
Posted Image

Photos of the crowd, plus the new venue (Verizon Amphitheater, north of Atlanta, GA). It was an overcast evening (rain was pouring the hour before the concert was to start):
Rush concert - Faces in the crowd - 8/22/08 - a set on Flickr
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 29 2008 - 05:25 AM

Patrick,

It looks like you succeeded in your mission. The camera did well when the lights were high, but struggled when they were turned down low. You were definitely pushing the limits of your camera there. You would probably need a very fast telephoto prime lens and a DSLR to pull off those shots.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Patrick,

It looks like you succeeded in your mission. The camera did well when the lights were high, but struggled when they were turned down low. You were definitely pushing the limits of your camera there. You would probably need a very fast telephoto prime lens and a DSLR to pull off those shots.

Can you set me up with all of that for $300? Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 04 2008 - 03:56 AM

You can get the Nifty Fifty for under a hundred bux and new XTs and used 20Ds are usually under $300. You can get a cheap zoom but in low light they will struggle.

Anyway, there are a few great pics in there, thanks for sharing.

Also, I finally heard the origin of the name 'Geddy' from a radio DJ the other day, very interestin

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 12:21 PM

I saw this show in Minneapolis. Great show. I loved the chicken jokes with Geddy's Chicken Rotisseries, and all the great video work that they did. The pix made me smile a lot. I wanted to take pix, but the time prior that I saw Rush, they were patting people down at the door, confiscating cameras, so I didn't bring it to this one. I only succeeded in getting a few crappy shots with my phone. So, I'm glad to be able to view these. Thanks.