-

Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Birds of Prey dvd...some thoughts.


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 of 52 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted July 22 2008 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan W
My sources say that the packaging should let us know that optimal prints weren't available.

Gord hasn't said anything about the music.

More to the point, Troy -- I'm not attacking Gord. I'm criticizing Warner Brothers, the company charging $39.98 for a DVD set and letting a lone voice explain major product deficits on this forum.

Perhaps you took my "don't worry-be happy" comment personally.
The package for BoP says it's in Standard Aspect Ratio as originally broadcast. I'll admit that can be considered misleading if you're not savvy to home video release practices. For the average consumer who would buy this may be confused and expect fullframe. I'll give you that. The print presented is pretty damn good besides that though. As far as attacking Gord, you are dismissing what he's told us from his sources and saying you disagree. However, at no time do you provide facts of your own. That's all I'm pointing out there. Gord is the final word on tv on dvd for alot of us here. I'll say again, He's earned that respect from us. As far as "don't worry be happy" my attitude is more a "don't bitch and whine be realistic and grateful". I'll say this again as well, given what this is, a cancelled tv series that didn't even run a whole season and didn't get top drawer treatment in a vault, we are lucky to have this set. Also, alot of fans lobbied for this release to happen and all the complaints seem to disrespect the effort that went into even getting this release in the first place. I get the impression that many of the people complaining were not going to get the series anyway. This anamorphic issue is just a way for them to talk shit about it on boards. I seem to be reading people saying how there hugh fans of the show and couldn't wait to get it on dvd because they love it so. Then, they follow that with, "because it's not in anamorphic widescreen this is a pass for me now. Screw you Warners" or something simular to that. We'll, I believe that's a bunch of crap and if they were fans they would at least get it. Warners not going to re-release this set in an anamorphic widescreen based on the complaint that people would buy it if. What will happen is those that do want this show will get it and those that don't won't. If there are, in fact, many people who won't buy this show then we who do own it will have a collectors item on our hands in the near future. When down the road it becomes a collectors item and those who say to themselves, "I wish I had bought that when I had the chance", and now they have to spend hundreds of dollars to get it on ebay...Well, they can only blame themselves.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#42 of 52 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted July 22 2008 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill GrandPre
The industry knew it was coming and started making the changes long before "Birds of Prey" aired.

I don't know, it's possible that the show may have been FILMED for 16x9 but the 16x9 transfers were never made. It's true that the fact that something is filmed in a 16x9-friendly aspect ratio doesn't guarantee that an anamorphic transfer exists (as any movie/DVD fan knows) but I don't find their "these transfers are the best we have!" argument for one bit because if what you have is unacceptable then you spend the money to bring it up to an acceptable level, and releasing non-anamorphic product in this day and age is unacceptable, period.
It all comes down to money. Will their profits on the set make up for the expense of a remaster? You can never be sure.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#43 of 52 Russell G

Russell G

    Lead Actor

  • 9,688 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 20 2002
  • Real Name:Russell
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 22 2008 - 06:49 AM

Maybe the show was produced on the cheap to begin with, shot 16:9, but no HD masters were made for HD broadcast? No idea, but if it never aired in true HD on an HD channel, maybe that's the case, it was always a matted down 4:3 analog master. The set is cheap, I got it for under $25, which is pretty good for a 4 disc set brand new with extras.

I blind bought the set after randomly catching a bit of some episode way back when, then never finding the show on TV to watch it proper. Look forward to checking it out.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#44 of 52 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

    Screenwriter

  • 2,447 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 03 2001

Posted July 22 2008 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
As far as attacking Gord....

Troy, I appreciate you standing up for me, but I haven't felt attacked in this thread at all. Jonathan was questioning the information I was given, but he wasn't attacking me.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#45 of 52 Jonathan W

Jonathan W

    Agent

  • 38 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2001

Posted July 22 2008 - 07:30 AM

TravisR originally said:
Gord has actually talked to the studio and that's the reason they gave him. Maybe it's the truth, maybe it's a lie but the info that Gord got directly from the studio holds alot more weight with me than someone just dreaming up a conspiracy theory and posting it on a message board.

Gord originally said:
The person I spoke to is the marketing person on the title, but their job isn't to locate the masters for the releases, that's someone else's job. I can't comment on whether it's possible to make an anamorphic release out of non-anamorphic masters because I don't know how any of that is done, or what the cost is.

Troy originally said:
The package for BoP says it's in Standard Aspect Ratio as originally broadcast. I'll admit that can be considered misleading if you're not savvy to home video release practices. For the average consumer who would buy this may be confused and expect fullframe. I'll give you that.

This is what I meant by not taking Gord as pure gospel. I'm sure there is truth to most of what Gord has been told by Warners. I'm sure he has relayed everything that was said to him honestly -- but even Troy admits that all this is of little use to the less savy consumer who doesn't read this forum. And Gord, whom I've said I appreciate and value, admits that there are aspects to this which he does not have information.

Troy goes on to say:
As far as attacking Gord, you are dismissing what he's told us from his sources and saying you disagree.

I disagree that his is the final word. That's all. If it was, there wouldn't have been all this interesting conversation.

As for TravisR, I have no conspiracies to declare -- I just think Warner Brothers got cheap.

#46 of 52 David Levine

David Levine

    Supporting Actor

  • 502 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 25 2006

Posted July 22 2008 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan W
I just think Warner Brothers got cheap.

They absolutely did - and I don't blame them. This is not a set that is going to sell a lot of units no matter how it's presented.

Are they losing some sales by not having it anamorphic and with all the original music?

Absolutely.

Would they sell enough extra units to recoup the costs involved if they made it a "perfect" release?

Not a chance.

Unfortunately, with the production costs involved along with the general market trends, they had 2 choices. Do what they did or not release it at all. IMO, they chose the lesser of 2 evils.

#47 of 52 Jonathan W

Jonathan W

    Agent

  • 38 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2001

Posted July 22 2008 - 08:19 AM

When I purchased this set, I had never seen an episode. I was just curious and I find the show is fun and the leading ladies are appealing.

It definitely has an audience.

As I write this, it ranks #42 in sales of Movies and Television DVD at Amazon, and it is sold out at all the Best Buys around me. It is also sold out on the Warner Brothers lot and the Borders down the street (although, being a Tuesday, restocking may be taking place).

I wrote before that I am sympathetic to the decisions a studio has to make when releasing a less-than-popular television series on DVD, but their timing was right and the units are moving. When dealing with something related directly to the precious and powerful Batman franchise, I expected better quality and care to go with the savvy release strategy.

#48 of 52 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted July 22 2008 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
Troy, I appreciate you standing up for me, but I haven't felt attacked in this thread at all. Jonathan was questioning the information I was given, but he wasn't attacking me.

Gord
No problem. I just feel that what you do is a tremendous service to all who collect tv shows on dvd. All the back and forths between yourself and the studios on our behalf is awesome. Jonathan W originally used the "attacking Gord" line in a previous post and I was just responding under that.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#49 of 52 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted July 22 2008 - 08:50 AM

I want to be clear to all who read this thread, I love this show and it's release to dvd. I do not feel it is perfect, but, I do accept that it is the best it will most likely ever be. I am aware many are not satisfied with the release and have every right not to be. I do feel alot of what comes across seems to be knit-picking and seems unrealistic with regards to what was, is or will be available in the vaults at Warner studios tv release division. Representatives from the studio have spoken. The information they present seems believable. We all have seen this kind of move in practice many times before. I am grateful for the the decision to release the series rather than not releasing it. I think they made the best choice for all involved. Because, if they didn't release it under the criteria that it wasn't good enough, we would never get it. Then, everyone would be saying that they wished Warner had released it anyway, because they would rather have it that way than not at all. That's what really gets me.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#50 of 52 LizH

LizH

    Second Unit

  • 348 posts
  • Join Date: May 02 2004

Posted July 22 2008 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan W
When dealing with something related directly to the precious and powerful Batman franchise, I expected better quality and care to go with the savvy release strategy.


That's one of the reasons why we pushed for the DVD release ... we want OUR place in the franchise.


Personally, I didn't want Alicia Silverstone to be the last word on Batgirl. Posted Image

#51 of 52 Jonathan W

Jonathan W

    Agent

  • 38 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2001

Posted July 22 2008 - 12:28 PM

For me, Liz, Dina Meyer has become the definitive Batgirl/Barbara Gordon. As the most seasoned actress of the troika, she brings gravitas, sexiness and wit to a role that asks for a difficult balance. And she really looks the part. I appreciate the fact that Meyer respects the iconography of Batgirl and her acting does it justice, despite many quirky filming setups -- the camera is often inconveniently placed for the actor's performance but she always brings it. I love Emily Deschanel in BONES and Meyer's Barbara Gordon anticipates Dr. Temperance 'Bones' Brennan by three years.

Ashley Scott really has grown on me. She made Helena Kyle more complex than many of the directors appear to have anticipated. It's exciting to watch a talented actress grow into her role -- Scott found unexpected motivations that fleshed out Huntress beautifully. And, of course, she is gorgeous. It's her silhouette selling the disks to the uninitiated and she doesn't disappoint.

Rachel Skarsten was a true discovery. Lovely, smart, innocent but yearning for adventure. I think the only thing that hurt her was the insistence on making Dinah's maturation a difficult one. Her Dinah could have found conflict without all the tantrums. Nevertheless, Skarsten has the eyes of a star and I expect big things from her.

The show itself ran into a few unevenness issues, but one thing stands out -- the attitude. When Barbara Gordon explains that she is not bitter but grateful for her life -- that she looks to the future with optimism -- she won me. This optimism adds credibility to Helena overcoming her instincts to rip people apart and Dinah's desire to kill her mother's murderer. These women were training themselves for much more sophisticated journeys ahead and that is the shame of BIRDS OF PREY's short life.

#52 of 52 LizH

LizH

    Second Unit

  • 348 posts
  • Join Date: May 02 2004

Posted July 23 2008 - 01:11 PM

There's a VERY Long Wait for Disk 1 of the show and a Short Wait for Disk 3 on NetFlix (Maybe people are renting their favorite eps? Posted Image )


Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow