What's new

Geforce 8800 GT resolutions (1 Viewer)

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I got a Panasonic plasma, TH-50PX80U, and I'm going to hook my computer up to it to play some games. As the title says, I'm running the Geforce 8800 GT, BFG over clocked version. It has two DVI outputs, but the TV doesn't have a DVI input. I'm ordering a DVI > HDMI cable, but for tonight I want to hook up via the S video connection. Now the card came with an "HDTV adapter," which is a 7 pin (not the old 4 pin) S video connector on one end, and a component connection on the other. From what I've been reading, component video can only output in the 500-550 lines of resolution range, but other sources have said they can go all the way to 1080p (which is strange, I thought that's why you needed HDMI).

So what resolution am I getting out of this connection? What does the card output, and what will the TV accept through component connections? I've looked everywhere, but can't find the info. Or find contradictory info.

Thanks!

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Well, it seems I didn't have to go to all this trouble of researching. I plugged it up and checked the INFO button on the remote. This connection was inputting 1080i. So I turned by card's settings down to 1280x768. It wouldn't do the 1366x768; this was as close as I could get to native resolution. Once I did that, my COD Modern Warfare must have detected these settings, because that was the highest resolution I could set it in the game options (it has gone higher with different settings in the past, but I didn't play around with that). It's a shame that this card, which has received so much praise, can't do my native resolution. Is that possibly a driver issue? I need to download the latest driver from last month, so if that fixes it I'll report back. I know a lot of people use this card for HTPC, and this is certainly a popular TV. Anyone else gaming on it?

The game looks great, btw. Playing on my couch with my surround system was a blast. Screw consoles. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Nathan:

I was able to get the higher res settings that I wanted for my ATI in my HTPC by downloading the latest Catalyst drivers as the ones that came with the card didn't have them. I haven't used the Nvidia but I am sure you will probably have the same results with the newest drivers.

Currently I am running an HTPC using an ATI HD2400XT so I can use my Blu-ray/HD DVD combo drive into a Panasonic TH-50PX75U which is basically the same panel that you have and using the HDMI makes all the difference in the world.

Parker

Parker,

I have the 50px75u with a xfx geforce 8800 gs, but I am having trouble getting the TV to display the PC desktop on the screen. It shows the desktop but it hangs off the screen about an inch all the way around. I have updated nvidia drivers, with no luck. Every resolution i set it at does the same thing. What resolutions are you able to show on the 50px75u? and do you have any issues with it not fitting properly on the screen? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Jim

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Most TVs will 'over size' the image (I forget the actual term) on the screen. This is to hide the edges. I believe there is a setting in your TV that will adjust this. I don't believe this is a video card issue.

I've looked through the settings on the TV, but there is nothing to adjust it. I'm hoping parker can shed some light on this since he is using the same TV I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks