Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Fear Itself" on NBC


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 todd s

todd s

    Lead Actor

  • 6,842 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 08 1999

Posted May 23 2008 - 07:05 AM

Did anyone else hear anything about this new show that begins June 5th. Seems like a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type of show. Could be good...

Here is the synopsis from NBC...

Quote:
"Fear Itself" is a provocative, new 13-episode suspense and horror anthology series set to push the boundaries of this classic genre through a host of provocative talent, both in front of and behind the camera, including award-winning, sought-after directors John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London"), Darren Bousman ("Saw II, III and IV") and Ronny Yu ("Bride of Chucky"); actors Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns"), Shiri Appleby ("Charlie Wilson’s War"), Elisabeth Moss ("Mad Men"), Cynthia Watros ("Lost"), Eric Roberts (NBC’s “Heroes”) and John Billingsley ("Star Trek: Enterprise"); and writers, including Joe Gangemi ("Wind Chill," the novel "Inamorata"), Steve Niles ("30 Days of Night") and Dan Knauf ("Carnivàle," "Supernatural").

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 31 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

    Screenwriter

  • 1,109 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 15 1998
  • Real Name:Greg K.
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 23 2008 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
"Fear Itself" is a provocative, new 13-episode suspense and horror anthology series set to push the boundaries of this classic genre through a host of provocative talent,

Sounds provocative. Posted Image Did they run out of adjectives?

It does sound interesting though.

#3 of 31 TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 21,360 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 23 2008 - 10:00 AM

This is basically Masters Of Horror under a new name (and without executive producer Mick Garris). There's nothing else on so I'm sure I'll be watching but I'd imagine that it'll be like MOH and have some episodes that are fairly good and some that are just terrible.

#4 of 31 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

    Producer

  • 3,215 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 21 1999

Posted May 24 2008 - 03:50 AM

This looks potentially good enough to be cancelled after 2 weeks. Posted Image

When was the last time a true anthology series lasted on network TV.

#5 of 31 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

    Executive Producer

  • 11,490 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 08 2002
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 26 2008 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
This is basically Masters Of Horror under a new name (and without executive producer Mick Garris). There's nothing else on so I'm sure I'll be watching but I'd imagine that it'll be like MOH and have some episodes that are fairly good and some that are just terrible.
That's what I was thinking. Re-heated MOH with less bad language & violence.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 31 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

    Executive Producer

  • 11,067 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 15 1999
  • Real Name:John Williamson
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 26 2008 - 08:18 PM

As a long time fan of shows like these, particularly Tales from the Darkside (guys voice in the beginning of each episode still gives me the creeps) and Tales from the Crypt, i'm looking foreward to this. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 31 MarkMel

MarkMel

    Screenwriter

  • 1,493 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 19 2003

Posted June 06 2008 - 03:33 AM

I thought the first one was well done. I hope this lasts since there's not much else worth watching in the summer.

Also, who was the girl that played the main sister? I have just seen her in something else and I can't remember what it was. IMDB doesn't have cast info up/
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

 


#8 of 31 Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

    Producer

  • 4,362 posts
  • Join Date: May 09 2001

Posted June 06 2008 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMel
Also, who was the girl that played the main sister? I have just seen her in something else and I can't remember what it was. IMDB doesn't have cast info up/

Rachel Miner.

#9 of 31 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

    Screenwriter

  • 1,975 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 10 2001
  • Real Name:Rex Bachmann

Posted June 06 2008 - 07:28 AM

MarkMel wrote (post #7):

Quote:
I thought the first one was well done. I hope this lasts since there's not much else worth watching in the summer.

The episode "Sacrifice" was pretty "warmed-over" stuff, in my opinion. Nothing innovative in plot or subject matter, the double entendre reference of its title being the only "food for thought" about it.

Nevertheless, the good supernatural horror is always worth a watch. The program does have potential.

For more info on the production, see here.

"Delenda est . . . . "

 


#10 of 31 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

    Executive Producer

  • 11,067 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 15 1999
  • Real Name:John Williamson
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:06 AM

Ahh, man, I missed it! Posted Image I completely forgot this was coming on.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#11 of 31 TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 21,360 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:13 AM

Eventhough it has a new name and network, I still think of this as Masters Of Horror so I think it's fair to make comparisons between the two. On the plus side, it still looked like a (low budget) movie rather than a TV show. It was good to see that the show didn't seem to suffer from holding back on graphic violence and profanity. On the negative side, like alot of MOHs, I thought this was a forgettable and predictable episode. And on an odder note, the theme song made me laugh outloud.

The good thing is that with a different writer and director each week, I can hold out hope that each episode will be good. I thought Brad Anderson's episode last season (Sounds Like) was one of the best of the entire series so I'm hoping he can deliver with the next episode.

EDIT: ^John, check out NBC.com, they put up alot of their TV shows online.

#12 of 31 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

    Screenwriter

  • 1,295 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 25 2003

Posted June 06 2008 - 10:52 AM

Didn't care for the first episode, it was ok. I'll watch a few more though.

#13 of 31 todd s

todd s

    Lead Actor

  • 6,842 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 08 1999

Posted June 06 2008 - 03:23 PM

The show is a lot like the short lived series "Night Vision". Which like "Fear Itself" seems to always have a downer ending.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#14 of 31 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

    Executive Producer

  • 11,490 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 08 2002
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 07 2008 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Ahh, man, I missed it! Posted Image I completely forgot this was coming on.
Me too. This was the night I finally decided to go see the new "Indiana Jones" and forgot to set the recorder for "Fear Itself".
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#15 of 31 TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 21,360 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 12 2008 - 03:15 PM

Much better episode this week.

I'm a fan of character actors so I enjoyed seeing Eric Roberts. While I haven't seen them in many things, I like Larry Gilliard (having seen him in The Wire and Cecil B. Demented) and Cynthia Watros (having seen her only in Lost).

#16 of 31 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

    Edge of Glory?

  • 1,216 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 08 2007
  • Real Name:Wayne Carter
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted June 25 2008 - 02:49 AM

The episode "Family Man" airing last week (June 19) was pretty well done. And pulled no punches. I can't believe a broadcast network (NBC) is airing something so dark, but I'm not complaining. This story of the family man and the serial killer suspect switching bodies reminded me of the episode on The Outer Limits called "The Human Factor," but this version had a more shocking and decidely unhappy ending. Posted Image But appropriately uncompromised for a horror anthology series.

Anyone know how many episodes are running? I'm on board for the remainder.

#17 of 31 todd s

todd s

    Lead Actor

  • 6,842 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 08 1999

Posted June 25 2008 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
but this version had a more shocking and decidely unhappy ending. Posted Image But appropriately uncompromised for a horror anthology series.

As I stated earlier. This is similar to the show "Night Visions". But, I see its going to make the same mistake. Every ending is unhappy. What made the Twilight Zone so great is that you never knew how it would end. It could be bad or good. For example the episode with William Shatner where he was obsessed with the fortune telling amusement machine. If it was one of the shows above. He would have been stuck there. But, in the TZ you didn't know. And in the end he got out. And on the other side. You have the episode "Talking Tina"(Still the creepiest episode). Where you see what happened to Kojack. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#18 of 31 TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul

  • 21,360 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 25 2008 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Anyone know how many episodes are running?
They shot 13 episodes and this week will be the fourth one to air.

EDIT: From the current issue of Fangoria, the episodes are

Eater written by Richard Chizmar and Johnathon Schaech, directed by Stuart Gordon
Spooked w: Matt Venne d: Brad Anderson
Community w: Kelly Kennemer d: Mary Harron
The Sacrifice w:Mick Garris d: Breck Eisner
In Sickness & In Health w: Victor Salva d: John Landis
New Year's Day w: Steve Niles d: Darren Lynn Bousman
Family Man w: Dan Kanuf d: Ronny Yu
Skin And Bones w: Drew McWeeny and Scott Swan d: Larry Fessenden
Something With Bite w: Max Landis d: Ernest Dickerson
Chance w: Lem Dobbs d: TBA
Oujia w: Joe Gangemi d: TBA
Echoes w: Sean Hood d: Rob Bowman
The Circle w: Richard Chizmar and Johnathon Schaech d: Eduardo Rodriguez

SEE POST 22 FOR MORE UPDATES TO THIS LIST

Since the episodes haven't aired in that order, I'm assuming that's just the production order and NBC will run them how they want.

#19 of 31 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

    Edge of Glory?

  • 1,216 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 08 2007
  • Real Name:Wayne Carter
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted June 27 2008 - 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
They shot 13 episodes and this week will be the fourth one to air.

EDIT: From the current issue of Fangoria, the episodes are

Eater written by Richard Chizmar and Johnathon Schaech, directed by Stuart Gordon
Spooked w: Matt Venne d: Brad Anderson
Community w: Kelly Kennemer d: Mary Harron
The Sacrifice w:Mick Garris d: Breck Eisner
In Sickness & In Health w: Victor Salva d: John Landis
New Year's Day w: Steve Niles d: Darren Lynn Bousman
Family Man w: Dan Kanuf d: Ronny Yu
Skin And Bones w: Drew McWeeny and Scott Swan d: Larry Fessenden
Something With Bite w: Max Landis d: Ernest Dickerson
Chance w: Lem Dobbs d: TBA
Oujia w: Joe Gangemi d: TBA
Echoes w: Sean Hood d: Rob Bowman
The Circle w: Richard Chizmar and Johnathon Schaech d: Eduardo Rodriguez

Since the episodes haven't aired in that order, I'm assuming that's just the production order and NBC will run them how they want.

Thanks. I saw the John Landis-directed episode last night and while it was very well acted and directed (lots of close ups of Jesus statuettes, for some reason), the "twist" ending was obvious to any TZ veteran within the first five minutes. A bride gets a note just before her wedding that reads: "the person you are marrying is a serial killer." Naturally, paranoia and lots of cat and mouse ensues. But the moment you see the note reads "person," and not 'groom' or 'man,' you know the deal. So you just wait for an entire hour to be confirmed right.

Still, it's a better show than Swingtown, even for those of us who partied hearty in the 70s.

#20 of 31 IanDP

IanDP

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 103 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 28 2006

Posted June 27 2008 - 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Thanks. I saw the John Landis-directed episode last night and while it was very well acted and directed (lots of close ups of Jesus statuettes, for some reason), the "twist" ending was obvious to any TZ veteran within the first five minutes. A bride gets a note just before her wedding that reads: "the person you are marrying is a serial killer." Naturally, paranoia and lots of cat and mouse ensues. But the moment you see the note reads "person," and not 'groom' or 'man,' you know the deal. So you just wait for an entire hour to be confirmed right.

Still, it's a better show than Swingtown, even for those of us who partied hearty in the 70s.
I watched it last night for the first time and was kind of disappointed. I was hoping for more, but the twist was kind of generic. The episode itself was pretty boring but I held out hope for a cool ending and then was kind of let down.
I guess these will be hit or miss due to the nature of the show, but I really thought Salva (Jeepers Creepers) and Landis would be able to put together something better than that.


Back to TV Programming


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow