-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The CW in trouble? Closing down next year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 18 2008 - 11:52 AM

I was browsing the Moonlight boards at IMDB (yes I know they aren't exactly the most reliable sources on the planet) and someone said they heard that the CW will be leaving the air next year because of low ratings, is there any truth to that?
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 13 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 18 2008 - 12:44 PM

I doubt you'll find anyone who will confirm this to be the case, even if it's something CBS and Warner are considering. It's always a possibility, I suppose - the merger of UPN and The WB happened pretty quickly, so CW could shut down just as quickly - but I don't think it's terribly likely; there are too many markets with five stations that could use the programming. I strongly suspect they'll bail on Sunday and Friday nights completely at some point, but they'll probably stick around for a while in some format.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 13 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted May 18 2008 - 01:27 PM

I read about this somewhere, and checked around and found this article about it:

It's No Gossip, Ratings Slip Threatens CW Network - WSJ.com

On a somewhat brighter note, The WB will be a network again - online.

Sometime later this year they will be bringing back classic WB shows and hopefully the promos for nostalgia's sake as a web network. Unfortunately for someone like me who doesn't live in the US, I'm stuck without it unless I come up with some kind of workaround.

I've loved The WB up until they canceled Everwood - that was the last straw, but some fond memories of the many shows I enjoyed on that network. It managed to be fun, a little silly at times in a good way, and still had a nice touch of class you wouldn't expect for a 'teen' network, and being in the age group at the time of its prime, I welcomed that aspect. They treated every show like an event, and made the viewing experience quite memorable which is completely lost when watching those same shows on DVD.

The CW makes me ill with its green color scheme and when Veronica Mars ended, I had no reason to watch it anymore. It's not even near the same universe as The WB was, but if somehow it manages to stay on and get more written serialized television and less 'top model' nonsense, then all the better.

#4 of 13 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 18 2008 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
The CW makes me ill with its green color scheme and when Veronica Mars ended, I had no reason to watch it anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that, because you're missing out on some good shows, like Reaper.

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 13 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 18 2008 - 02:33 PM

The WB had a good thing going. It was a bad move for them to merge into The CW. They had more viewers as the WB, apparently even with fewer affiliate stations (which was the whole point of the merger, correct?). They should've just stood back while UPN went belly-up, then swooped in and picked up some of their former affiliates as WB stations.

Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Supernatural, Gilmore Girls, all usually pulled 4 to 5.5 million viewers per episode. Now the CW is lucky to get 3 million for their "hit" shows like Smallville and Supernatural.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 13 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,689 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 18 2008 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Supernatural, Gilmore Girls, all usually pulled 4 to 5.5 million viewers per episode. Now the CW is lucky to get 3 million for their "hit" shows like Smallville and Supernatural.
Isn't that pretty much on par for the ratings drop that all networks have had in the last few years though? Not that that changes the fact that 3 million is pretty dismal.

#7 of 13 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted May 18 2008 - 06:43 PM

CW stands for Can't Watch- not only do they have their ugly logo always on the screen, but for a few months now they've also been putting text above it promoting upcoming shows! NBC's been doing the same- I don't know how anyone can watch anything this way.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 13 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 08:50 AM

As long as Smallville, Supernatural and Reaper find new homes. I will be happy. Although, next year is probably Smallville's last anyways. So I only need two shows to be safe. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#9 of 13 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,145 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 19 2008 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen
CW stands for Can't Watch- not only do they have their ugly logo always on the screen, but for a few months now they've also been putting text above it promoting upcoming shows! NBC's been doing the same- I don't know how anyone can watch anything this way.

If they got rid of the on-screen clutter you would still have to deal with the mediocrity of most of the programming.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#10 of 13 Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:19 PM

I'm not hearing rumors about CW shutting down, but I am hearing rumors that one of the owners is thinking of pulling out.

#11 of 13 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,145 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 20 2008 - 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_HT
I'm not hearing rumors about CW shutting down, but I am hearing rumors that one of the owners is thinking of pulling out.

That is also conceivable. If I had to guess which one, I'd say TimeWarner. They're doing massive cutbacks (they could help by selling AOL).

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#12 of 13 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 03:39 AM

You know, that's another reason why I don't watch broadcast television. On screen adverting about upcoming shows and the large logos chew up half of the television screen (an exagerration). Everything I watch is on DVD. I think NCIS is the only broadcast show I watch now ... but I think the worst thing that could have happened is that the WB merged with CW and now their shows are suffering because of it. I think Smallville is the only current show that is worth watching on CW ...

#13 of 13 Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted May 21 2008 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
On screen adverting about upcoming shows and the large logos chew up half of the television screen (an exagerration).

Not really that much of an exagerration. I was watching Bones one week, and the green light burst for House came on, and I'm wondering why there is this green spot dead center of the screen. Similiar thing when NBC was promoting Phenomenon, and had a dove fly across the screen and then cover the bottom half four times during Heroes.

Quote:
I think Smallville is the only current show that is worth watching on CW ...

And that's not really saying much considering the downward turn it's taken. The only reason I've stuck with it this far is because I'm a comic fan and like Superman.

Quote:
If I had to guess which one, I'd say TimeWarner

I'm hoping if one owner pulls out, it's CBS, and we get the WB back. At least they did slightly better. The only thing of value that UPN brought to the table was Veronica Mars, and CW cancelled that one quick.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow