-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official IRON MAN Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#41 of 97 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 02:45 PM

I have to agree that as comic book adaptations this isn't up there with Batman Begins or Ghost in the Shell, but it's certainly in the same ballpark. Mostly I think the positive response it's getting (i.e. claims that it is better than Batman Begins) comes from the lighter tone.

Anyway, someone mentioned that the Mandarin was hinted at.

Unfortunately, I never really read any of the Iron Man comics that involved Mandarin, so I don't really know his story that well. Can someone tell me what the hint was? Was he one of the baddies in the caves at the beginning of the movie?
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

#42 of 97 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 05 2008 - 03:03 PM

I believe he is Raza, who was the guy that fired a rocket at Stark in the cave. Stark fired back, and Raza was scarred. This is the guy that Stane later paralyzed. In the comics, the Mandarin gets his power from his ten rings. Raza is the leader of the Ten Rings, and his introductory shot has him rotating the ring on his finger.

If this is the case, the nationality is changed. The Mandarin was originally Chinese.

Actually, I just read at wikipedia that the novelization has Raza stating that the Ten Rings has a leader higher than himself. That will be the Mandarin. And, that's probably what Stane meant when he told Raza that his "troubles were just beginning," or something to that effect. He failed, and the Mandarin will take it out of his hide.

#43 of 97 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 04:05 PM

Im glad others got the 10 Rings comment in there. It made me smile.

#44 of 97 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
If this is the case, the nationality is changed. The Mandarin was originally Chinese.

I would hope they keep his ethnicity. I can't really wrap my head around a Mandarin who isn't Chinese. It'd be like having a villain called the Scotsman, only to cast a Ukrainian in the part because you don't want to risk offending Scottish people. Maybe you could make it work by claiming the dude just has a fetish for kilts but at that point you might as well say "screw it" and just acknowledge that you're creating a whole new character Posted Image

#45 of 97 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 06 2008 - 05:28 AM

No, read my last paragraph. That kind of threw all of that out.

#46 of 97 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:22 AM

I loved this movie. IMO its definitely one of the best comic book movies; right up there with Batman Begins, X2, and Spiderman 2. Can't wait to see it again. Especially since I missed the Nick Fury scene.

#47 of 97 BrandonL

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 03:31 PM

After telling everyone how perfect RDJ was for this part, I was being told he had to fight really hard to be Iron Man. Who in the world were they considering for this? The only other person I could picture being Iron Man would be Christian Bale, and then I realized what other character he is playing. Awesome movie. That last scene in the movie had the crowd cheering so loud during the midnight showing.

#48 of 97 Lenny Rakes

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonL
After telling everyone how perfect RDJ was for this part, I was being told he had to fight really hard to be Iron Man. Who in the world were they considering for this? The only other person I could picture being Iron Man would be Christian Bale, and then I realized what other character he is playing. Awesome movie. That last scene in the movie had the crowd cheering so loud during the midnight showing.

By having to fight for the role, I believe it made him more determined to give a better performance and not simply go through the motions like a lot of other actors tend to do in these type of films.

#49 of 97 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,651 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 05:18 AM

RDJ's battle with drug abuse makes him a risk when it comes to high dollar productions (insurance, and so on), so I could see that RDJ would have to fight for the role given that there are other alternatives if they passed on RDJ. But that's not to say RDJ isn't a talented actor, he is, he just has a lot of past baggage that requires him to do more than someone with less baggage for roles he really wants.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#50 of 97 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
RDJ's battle with drug abuse makes him a risk when it comes to high dollar productions (insurance, and so on), so I could see that RDJ would have to fight for the role given that there are other alternatives if they passed on RDJ. But that's not to say RDJ isn't a talented actor, he is, he just has a lot of past baggage that requires him to do more than someone with less baggage for roles he really wants.

So, his credit rating (in Brazil Terms) is low enough to damage actual talent perception.
I'll assume suits on set keeping vigil.

#51 of 97 Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 03:49 PM

Don't think you need to assume suits on set but probably should assume random drug testing.

#52 of 97 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 09 2008 - 05:16 PM

Quote:
But on or about Independence Day in 2003, he stopped at a Burger King on the Pacific Coast Highway and threw all his drugs in the ocean. And while he was sitting there chewing on a burger, he decided he was done.

Very interesting when you consider that Downey improvised the sit-down press conference scene.

Worth a read:

The Columbus Dispatch : Profile | Robert Downey Jr.: 'Iron Man' role no stretch

#53 of 97 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,651 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 07:03 PM

I read that there was quite a bit of improvising on the set when they were shooting, as Favreau wanted some funny choices in certain scenes to keep the energy level up in the film.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#54 of 97 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 10 2008 - 05:14 PM

Another really good Downey interview:

'I Beat Impossible Odds' | PARADE Magazine

I'm pretty impressed with this guy now.

#55 of 97 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 10 2008 - 09:04 PM

Absolutely loved the IM movie which I saw last night.

RDJ is IM imo and he nailed the role perfectly.

I really liked how they kept introducing characters from the comics such as Jarvis or Shield.

I watched al of the credits to see about SLJ's cameo as Nick Fury, awesome
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#56 of 97 John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted May 11 2008 - 04:50 AM

I also enjoyed the film. Very steady workman like structure to the movie which builds to its climax "I Am IronMan" cue music. Posted Image

Perfect cast especially Gwennie and Leslie Bibb (yum yum).

Loved Stan Lee's little cameo, it was spot on.

This will make a great Blu-ray disc!!!
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#57 of 97 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 11 2008 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
I really liked how they kept introducing characters from the comics such as Jarvis or Shield.

I didn't like that Jarvis was just a computer program, but I guess it would be too Batman in the year of Dark Knight to have another billionaire with a butler.

Even though the origin was different, it was a thrill when the agent revealed the final name of his agency.

#58 of 97 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,764 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 12:25 AM

Saw this over the weekend and thought it was great. Really gets the vibe right for a comic book movie - plenty of action, and lots of fun, but not at the expense of the dramatic tension. Also enjoyed the real-life pokes at defense contractors. Great cast, all given some interesting things to do (although Terence Howard could have been used more). As with Spider-Man in 2002, this could end up being the movie of the summer, beating out even Indiana Jones. (You will recall that Spider-Man was the top-grossing movie of 2002, beating out even Attack of the Clones.)

In any event, bring on the Blu-Ray and the sequel!

#59 of 97 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 12:31 AM

Looks like this movie made about $50 million this weekend and beat out Speed Racer for the #1 spot.

Need for Speed? Nope, 'Iron Man' rules

#60 of 97 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad D
Looks like this movie made about $50 million this weekend and beat out Speed Racer for the #1 spot.

Need for Speed? Nope, 'Iron Man' rules

Wow, it made over 120 million last weekend, then another 50 this weekend above Speed Racer. That's very impressive. I took my son and we enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow