Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Question re: The John Frankenheimer Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 11:42 AM

The press release artwork made available to DVDTimes shows a single keep case style packaging for the set:

Posted Image

My question is whether the films included will be presented on separate discs (4 DVD-9s) or whether the films will be packaged as double features? Or perhaps the packaging is a double-wide keepcase with four separate disc hubs?

Does anyone know?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 12:09 PM

Marc - Good review on DVD Beaver and it appears that The Young Savages is only available in this set - the rest have been out for awhile and I don't think MGM did anything with those. Another cash grab as he mentions in the review.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,036 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 22 2008 - 09:45 PM

Again, MGM doesn't give us an anamorphic transfer of "The Train". I'm so sick of certain studios cutting corners and then expect us to pay our good money for compromised products. If you can't do it right then don't release it at all. Have some respect for those artists that made the film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Again, MGM doesn't give us an anamorphic transfer of "The Train". I'm so sick of certain studios cutting corners and then expect us to pay our good money for compromised products. If you can't do it right then don't release it at all. Have some respect for those artists that made the film.

Crawdaddy

I was still tossing up whether to just go ahead and buy The Train. I just read Gary Tooze's review a few minutes ago so I guess I might as well, because something better ain't gonna be coming along too soon.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 02:13 PM

So can anyone answer my question with this set?

Are the films all on separate discs? How are they packaged in a single case like that above and why do I keep reading references on review sites to slim cases when the picture above shows something very different?

I would like to have The Young Savages even though it's supposedly not such a great film. I don't own the previous MGM release of The Train either, but I'm quite disappointed with their treatment of it here. The only film I don't really care about or want in this set is Ronin.

I'm still on the fence with this one and would really like to know how the whole thing is packaged as I've never seen a four-film box set in a single amaray keep case before and don't quite understand how it's presented...

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 02:17 PM

Btw, can anyone tell me if a 16x9 enhanced DVD of The Train exists in any other region?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,460 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 02 2008 - 12:38 AM

Marco, it is individual slim cases housed in a slip cover. Ignore the "Temp" artwork that was used with the announcement. If you want to see what the slip cover looks like, it is pictured on Amazon.com.

I can't definitively answer the Region question, but it's my understanding that no anamorphic release exists anywhere.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thanks John, that's good news because I could than go ahead and sell off some of the titles like Ronin... if I decide to go for this set.

Anyone have any shots of the covers for the individual slimcases?

Thanks!

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 08:15 AM

The Train is a film I deeply admire and I'd love to see an 1.66:1 anamorphic SD-DVD or Blu-Ray edition. The current DVD actually looks good zoomed in, but it is fairly dirty/scratchy is places. Beautifully shot film - bold, deep focus composition with the 25mm lens. Love Frankenheimer's commentary - one of the best you'll ever hear, I would venture.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 08:45 AM

Gordon

Is there a commentary for The Train by Frankenheimer.

I love his commentaries

Regards
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Gordon

Is there a commentary for The Train by Frankenheimer.

I love his commentaries

Regards

Well, that's what I said, wasn't it?! Posted Image

Yeah, it's a great commentary. No waffle, lots of great tech talk for camera geeks like me, hair-raising anecdotes, philosophy of Cinema, etc and it flows beautifully. It's a helluva film, too. The "Citizen Kane of macho action movies", as I see it!

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 08:53 AM

Awesome news indeed.

Which e-tailer is the best to get it to the UK ?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 09:14 AM

I should have said that the UK edition drops the commentary. Sorry, Oscar. Go for the R1: Go for Play USA. £10.99 is a tad overpriced, but you don't pay postage.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 09:36 AM

found it here The Train (1964) DVD for £ 8,99 incl P&P

Forum Nav Content I Follow