What's new

Fox's Bette Davis: Centenary Celebration Collection on April (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
More Bette Davis titles to celebrate her Centenary,as listed on Dvd Empire.
Fox Collection, due Apri 8th, contais the following titles:

The Nanny
Virgin Queen
Phone Call From A Stranger
Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte
All About Eve

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I hope they are available seperately as I don't want to have to double dip for All About Eve and "Charlotte'

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Now wait- The Nanny has never been on DVD before, unlike some of the others. This is one title I'm glad to see released as it's possibly her best performance after What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?. Unlike those William Castle exploitation pieces Crawford did, Bette got to do a psychological thriller via Hammer Studios- here she skillfully underplays her character, revealing many layers as the film goes on.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The Nanny
Virgin Queen
Phone Call From A Stranger

Those are the titles I will be buying, and I am very much looking forward to them, especially The Nanny.

I saw the Virgin Queen years ago and while it was not up to the level of The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, (IMO) it was entertaining enough. I wonder if Joan Collins will participate either via an interview or a commentary track.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
This isn't a DOUBLE DIP for ALL ABOUT EVE, it's a TRIPLE DIP!
The previous DVDs were in '99 and '03

ugh! :frowning:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Apparently 'All About Eve' will now be a 2-disc set and a poster at the Criterion Forum says: 'Fox will be releasing THE NANNY on April 8 as part of a Bette Davis promotion. Currently the only extras listed are: trailer, interactive pressbook gallery, poster gallery, lobby card gallery and still gallery; however, Alain Silver and James Ursini recorded a commentary for this a while back, so the disc should include that.

Also coming as part of the same promotion is a new edition of HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE with a new "making of" featurette, an interview with Bruce Dern, a vintage featurette and several galleries (posters, lobby cards, stills, etc.) Curiously, Glenn Erickson's commentary from the original release is not listed'

Alain Silver has also done a commentary with James Ursini for 'The Virgin Queen' as well.

Corey

Screenwriter
Great. I'll buy this set and give All About Eve and Sweet Charlotte to my mother.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I seriously doubt Joan Collins will participate in any way whatsoever on a DVD of The Virgin Queen. I mean she didn't even participate in the recent box set devoted to HER!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Interesting sidenote.

As many know, I spent some time working for Pioneer Laserdisc doing Pioneer special editons and some paramount titles.
Before then, I had come to california back in 1985 to work on some film restorations with Tom Bodley, then head of Post for Goldwyn.
Tom told me that Bette Davis was a good friend of his and that I would probably spend some time with here, which turned out to be true.
ONe Friday afternoon, Bette Arrived at toms house, tom had called to say he would arrive late from work, so I was on my own to entertain Miss D (as everyone called her).
I asked her if that, when here career was at its height, was there any other actress she admired that could do things she could not do.
Bette didn't hesitate, and said, " Yes. Jean Simmons!!"
Tom had a large tape collection in a side room and miss D knew where all the Jean Simmons taped were.
She pulled out Young bess from 1953, starring miss simmons and Deborah Kerr. Bette went right for a particular scene and said,
"Look at that. Look at what she's doing. I could never do that"
I am also a fan of Jean simmons and Miss D and I spent some talkking talking about here films. Bette knew all the major ones andmost of the minor ones too.
She liked Jeans performance as Elizabeth the first, back in 1953, that it made bEtte want to play Elizabeth again. So bette did The Virgin Queen.
This story from Miss D herself.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Will the new version of Charlotte include all of the existing Joan Crawford photos in her role as 'Miriam' before she left the project? Of course it would be a miracle if they found any of her actual film footage!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
The digital Bits says All about Eve is a NEW 2 disc special edition. Any news about the additions to the previous edition?

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

All About Eve would have to be my favourite film. So if it is getting two disc treatment, then depending on the extras I will most likely double dip

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The more I read this thread, the more it sounds like buying the box would be the best idea especially in regard to ALL ABOUT EVE which I hadn't updated in my collection from the original release.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Looks great; Fantastic artwork!!

The promo art of Bette on The Virgin Queen looks exactly the same as her character in Elizabeth & Essex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks