Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I Want a Blu-ray player that decodes TrueHD and DTS Master audio internally. Any sugg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   forknuggler

forknuggler

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 01:13 PM

I have a yamaha receiver with hdmi inputs and 7.1 analog inputs. I understand this receiver cannot decode these new codecs, but the right player should right? I currently have the sony bdp-s1, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't decode these new formats internally. depending who you talk to in my area, you will get 37,577 different answers. all i want is to get hooked up with the right stuff, and since my receiver cost $1000.00 I dont really want to replace it after only a year

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 11:20 PM

Your BDP-S1 will decode TrueHD (assuming it has the latest firmware version) and output it as PCM over HDMI, or as analog multi-channel audio from the player's analog outputs. It won't decode DTS-HD Master Audio, though. At the moment there are no players on the market that will decode this format internally.

There are a handful of new players that will output both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA digitally to an external decoder, but this isn't of any use with your current receiver (you would need to buy a new model with these decoders built in, and a new Blu-ray player with bitstream capability).

Denon's upcoming DVD-3800BDCI Blu-ray player is reported to have both TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio processing onboard, but it is not yet available and will retail for $2000.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't any low-cost options for someone in your position. Your best bet may be to simply wait and see what the other manufacturers will be offering in 2008. Keep and eye on what is reported at next week's CES show.

Adam

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 02:38 AM

The PS3 will decode Dolby True HD, PCM but not DTS in any flavor. That might change if rumors turn out to be fact. The current rumor is DTS is working on something with the PS3 to get master lossless decoding on board.

That is however not a guarantee and not anything you should bank on.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 07:24 AM

I use the Samsung BD-P1400. supports DTS-MA and TrueHD over 6 RCA or HDMI. The only drawback is it profile 1.0

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
supports DTS-MA and TrueHD over 6 RCA or HDMI.

It doesn't do DTS MA over 6rca. DTS HD but not DTS MA Lossless. Not a single player currently will decode it and send via analog or HDMI. There are a few players like the 1400 that will send the DTS MA signal undecoded over HDMI.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin
It doesn't do DTS MA over 6rca. DTS HD but not DTS MA Lossless. Not a single player currently will decode it and send via analog or HDMI. There are a few players like the 1400 that will send the DTS MA signal undecoded over HDMI.
[/font]

Damn, just noticed that. Thankfully it only effects one title I have so far.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   shockt327

shockt327

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
[/font]

And if you have a receiver than can decode DTS MA, then that option is just as good, right?

BTW - what other BD players will send the DTS MA signal undecoded over HDMI?

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 10:02 AM

Quote:
And if you have a receiver than can decode DTS MA, then that option is just as good, right?

or arguably better yes Posted Image

The other Bitstream players that I know of are:
Panasonic Bd30k
Pioneer 95FD
Sony BDPS500(no DTS MA via bitstream though)

The LG gen 2 combo player I think sends bitstream and the Samsung Uni player I think sends bitstream.

On the HD DVD side, the A35 and XA2 both send bistream lossless undecoded.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   shockt327

shockt327

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hmmm, never knew about the Pioneer 95FD.
EDIT: lol, I never looked into the Pioneer 95FD cause it is almost a grand. Too steep for me....

Which website has the most precise info on these players? Cause Circuit City or Best Buy usually only list what these player can do....not what they can't do, which makes it difficult when you are trying to look for specific features.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockt327
And if you have a receiver than can decode DTS MA, then that option is just as good, right??

Theoretically, the end result for TrueHD and DTS-MA should be the same. It's like compressing a file as a .zip or a .rar. They just take up a different amount of room. It's is good to have support for both because some companies either have one or the other. Both is rare (eg. Close encounters).

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 03:23 AM

If someone comes out with a BR player that decodes lossless to analog outputs and does BD-Java and 1.1for less than $500, I'll buy it.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted January 04 2008 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
If someone comes out with a BR player that decodes lossless to analog outputs and does BD-Java and 1.1for less than $500, I'll buy it.
And makes a sammich, as long as we're asking for things. Posted Image

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   shockt327

shockt327

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap
Theoretically, the end result for TrueHD and DTS-MA should be the same. It's like compressing a file as a .zip or a .rar. They just take up a different amount of room. It's is good to have support for both because some companies either have one or the other. Both is rare (eg. Close encounters).

Ok, what if the player can decode Dolby True HD, but the receiver can't? Is there any way around that?

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Ok, what if the player can decode Dolby True HD, but the receiver can't? Is there any way around that?

If the reciever accepts PCM via HDMI, then the HD player will decode the True HD signal and pass it via PCM to your receiver.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   shockt327

shockt327

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
If the reciever accepts PCM via HDMI, then the HD player will decode the True HD signal and pass it via PCM to your receiver.
[/font]

But only via HDMI....not digital/optical out

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   ross ish

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 10:46 AM

And unlike sd dvd, you cannot choose between dts-hd or dd-true; one or the other. Sony s1 owners using analog out are stuck with only dd-true, unless Sony decides to unlock dts-hd internal decoder.

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   shockt327

shockt327

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross ish
And unlike sd dvd, you cannot choose between dts-hd or dd-true; one or the other. Sony s1 owners using analog out are stuck with only dd-true, unless Sony decides to unlock dts-hd internal decoder.

Ok, how do you get TrueHD via analog out (or any out) if you have a player (but not a receiver) that can decode TrueHD?

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   HONDA_RJJ

HONDA_RJJ

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 06:24 AM

PS3 currently decodes both Dolby True HD and DTS MA ans send them through LPCM but can not currently bitstream them(might never due to the hdmi chip limitations). Its been able to decode DTS MA for a while now.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have my Sony S550 connected using the analog outs into my DSP-A1 analog in's. Doesn't the S550 decode the signal for both the TRUEHD & DTS HD tracks ?
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 18 2009 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
I have my Sony S550 connected using the analog outs into my DSP-A1 analog in's. Doesn't the S550 decode the signal for both the TRUEHD & DTS HD tracks ?
Yes, the Sony BDP-S550 decodes all the HD audio formats, and sends them over the 7.1 analog outputs. But, if you'll notice, all the previous posts are from January 2008, over a year ago........... not much was doing it back then.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow