Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI to DVI Connection on A3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   joesolek

joesolek

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 03:12 PM

I have a 2004 Sony XBR CRT HD television which I love. I just bought a Toshiba A3 player. May question is if I buy a HDMI to DVI cable( which my tv has) will I be able to get 1080i and up convert sd dvds? I called the customer service number and they said no problem, but I don't think they are correct. Page 15 of the manual states that it does not support analog dvi. Does anyone have an insight into this? Thanks in advance. Joe

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 05:01 PM

DVI can support both analogue and digital connections-- it is important that a customer can connect either a vga cathode ray tube, or a digital lcd to his new video card.

But most Consumer electronics don't support the analog portion of DVI. Instead, only the digital pins are active. An HDMI connection can be converted into a DVI connection with a mechanically trivial dongle.

Be sure that your DVI input supports HDCP, the encryption scheme used by nearly all upconverting DVD players, and all Bluray and HDDVD players.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 09:56 PM

Well, the "dongle" doesn't look like a dongle: it's a simple HDMI -> DVI cable.

Yes, the monitor must support HDCP and preferably have a native screen resolution of 1920x1200. And yes it works magnificent.

Cees

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   joesolek

joesolek

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes my set does support HDCP. The Toshiba rep seemed unsure of himself so I thought I would ask the experts on the forum.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   ross ish

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 03:14 AM

You will have no problem. I have the hd a3 connected to the dvi inputs on the Hitachi using the monoprice hdmi->dvi converter. Works fine. Later purchased the Monster Ultra 800 hdmi->dvi cable on ebay. This cable is a great deal; closeouts of last year's model.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 09:22 AM

You should not have any issues. I have an HDMI-DVI cable between my A3 and my Mistubishi DLP set. Gorgeous picture and no problem with any upconversions on any DVDs so far.
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: 'I drank what?!'"

Roykirk's DVD Collection

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   joesolek

joesolek

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 03:48 PM

I hooked everything up tonight and it worked PERFECTLY. Thanks everyone for your insight. The picture is beautiful.