What's new

Lubitsch Musicals box set by Eclipse (Criterion) in February (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
It seems that the rumours were true.
Dvd Beaver has announced that Eclipse is releasing a Lubitsch 4 disc box set on February 12th for a $59.95 list price.
The collection contains the aleready mentioned:Te Love Parade (1929), Monte Carlo (1930), The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) and One Hour With You (1932).
And I just checked on the Criterion home page and the box is already available for pre order.
Now we can really celebrate!

Mark VH

Second Unit
This just made my freakin' day. I'm not even kidding - best news ever. I knew we were getting at least one of these thanks to the newsletter hint, but the fact that The Smiling Lieutenant is included in the deal is absolutely incredible - I'm going to go right ahead and say that this is the most exciting and important release announced for 2008 for me - more so than any of the Warners stuff (which I'm also supremely stoked for). I love Criterion.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
This is unbelievably great news!

Now, if Criterion could find a way to wrangle (from Universal) and package some of the many other fine Paramount pre-Codes--think more Miriam Hopkins, Mae West, Claudette Colbert, Fredric March, Kay Francis, Sylvia Sidney, Carole Lombard, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper--the good times would really continue...

Paramount Before the Code at Film Forum

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Agreed, great news here, and more Universal-owned Paramount films would make terrific "Eclipse" box sets! In addition to those that Jon has mentioned, for me an even better prize would be the rumored box set of von Sternberg silents coming from Criterion. (Which are still owned by Paramount.) And maybe, just maybe, WEDDING MARCH and WINGS at last!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Agreed, Danny. As for von Sternberg, there was a restored print of Underworld shown at this year's New York Film Festival so hopefully this bodes wells for the rumored von Sternberg set.

In the same spirit, I would love to see Criterion wrangle additional pre-Codes from the Fox coffers, for either Criterion or Eclipse release. If non-director Eclipse sets can be considered, a box devoted to Spencer Tracy's pre-Code Fox output would be excellent.

Also, a huge void would be filled, if there is any way to package the films of the mysterious (and sadly neglected) Rowland Brown: Quick Millions (Fox, with Tracy), Hell's Highway (RKO), and Blood Money (Fox, with George Bancroft).

Film Forum's Fox Before the Code

Re: Film Forum's Tracy at Fox sidebar, The Power and the Glory (written by Preston Sturges and co-starring Colleen Moore) should be added to any such discussion.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Maybe Criterion could bring out the remaining Marlene Dietrich/Josef von Sternberg films.

Charles H

Screenwriter
SHANGHAI EXPRESS was once announced as coming out on DVD from Criterion, but it was pulled as a result of print quality issues.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

How has Blood Money looked on FMC? It has been scheduled at least twice since the beginning of September. One showing was set for this past week, and it was apparently replaced. It's still scheduled for 6 a.m. ET Dec. 1, though.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Given the quality of Criterion's The Scarlet Empress, it must have been in terrible shape.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

I don't know since I don't have FMC. I am curious, too. Have they also shown Quick Millions?

Film Forum showed a new print of Blood Money during their "Fox Before the Code" series, which was in the last year. Perhaps the FMC transfer is sourced from the same print?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Haven't seen that one on the schedule. Blood Money seemed like a "new" film for FMC. I've had the channel for about 3 1/2 years, and that's one of the few older titles that hasn't been aired and rerun periodically during that time.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Great news about the Lubitsch box set! I never expected those films to ever see the light of day on DVD!

I taped Blood Money off of FMC last week. The print was less than steller. It looked like a first generation dupe; picture was dark and unsharp. Very little restoration was done on it.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I know 2008 is not yet even here but for me this will already be one of the year's top releases. I checked the Criterion website but I have not yet seen an announcement of the details, and I am particularly interested in finding out if the The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) , once thought to be a "lost" film, is being presented without the Danish subtitles found on the existing print. (The film was re-discovered in a Danish archive, and even the print MOMA is showing this week will have the Danish subtitles.)

I've seen The Smiling Lieutenant at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago and on Turner Classic Movies, and it definitely didn't have Danish subtitles either time.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Thanks, I guess the sub-titled print MOMA is showing is their only one.

However at least that means the DVD should be free of subtitles.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Yeah I caught this on TCM about two years back, and their print definitely didn't have subs, so I'll assume the Criterion version won't have 'em.

Is it Feb. 5 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks