Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Radiohead dupes fans

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 03:19 AM

http://www.mtv.com/n....adiohead.jhtml
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 03:55 AM

Wow, that's pretty lame. They score a big coup like that and it turns out to be a bust.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 15 2007 - 01:13 AM

evidently mtv is blocked at work. whats the gist?

#4 of 11 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,242 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 15 2007 - 02:18 AM

It's just complaining about 160 kbps.

There's already a thread for this topic here:
http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=262955

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 03:28 PM

This was not a "dupe". No unkept promises were made. The album sounds great. Will it sound better on the physical CD? Sure. Some people won't be able to tell one way or the other. This was an experiment, not an idealistic betrayal of the industry. That wasn't the band's script - that was the media's script. That was the fans' script. Radiohead understands there won't be an overnight revolution. It was a first step. And it has given legitimacy to the "fair pay" digital model and freaked out a lot of industry executives. And we get to listen to a great album in the meanwhile (I paid for the gift box, personally). Everyone else can strain their brain picking out "compression" in the digital audio. Sheesh.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 17 2007 - 05:15 AM

And this morning on the news they announced that iTunes is reducing the price of non-DRM tracks from $1.29 to 99 cents!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 05:38 AM

Posted Image

plucked the words right off the end of my fingers on the keyboard.

as far as experiments go I think it was a success, other than having a lossless option for a minimum price (possibly half the price of a physical CD?)
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   matthewRaz

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:02 PM

hear, hear!

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,108 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 06 2007 - 03:11 PM

That's good news that I missed. I guess this is that iTunes Plus stuff?

As for the Radiohead experiment:

http://www.breitbart....show_article=1

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 03:48 PM

This is unsurprising news (most people opting to pay $0). What is surprising is how much money the artists made with this model, given that fact. Those who DID pay for it paid an average of about eight pounds (generally harder core fans and, um, idealists). I've heard of a number of people downloading the songs, listening to the album then downloading again and paying for it the second time. Not only that, but from reading social news sites, blogs, and bulletin boards, it appears many people who downloaded the album wouldn't have paid for it on iTunes or in the store (new listeners, curious about the band due to the publicity). So they're expanding their market as well. There's really no way to tell one way or the other, but the main idea here is that artists continue to try new sustainable models, and hopefully some will click. Protecting and hindering digital sound will just push this twenty-first century market underground. You have to find them where they live.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 01:18 PM

There is something else they are missing here. I downloaded it for free, but I also fully intend to buy the CD when it finally comes out. One fear I have is that *some* bands might see this and say hey, we're not kosher with the people downloading our stuff for free, so we're not going to try this ourselves.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users