What's new

*** Official RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film lacked something, like a soul, it just never makes a heartfelt attempt to develop the characters, so when all zombie hell breaks loose, it returns to its video game roots and becomes a very stiff cinematic treatment of such actions sequences, and produces a disconnect with the audiences on many levels. Another failing is that it feels like a 3-act film that ends with its 2nd act because the final encounter between Alice and the baddie is so very anti-climatic.

A minor nitpick: There are close-up scenes where they airbrushed the hell out of Milla Jovovich's face for no good reason, and wasn't consistent because those close-up would be interspliced with longer shots that didn't have the airbrushing, and it just looked weird. Plus, no one under those conditions should be looking luminous as Milla did as Alice in many of those scenes.

Ali Larter looks great with chestnut hair coloring, and her acting isn't too bad in the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This was fun while in the theater. But when thinking about it afterward, many problems are revealed, not the least f which is the ending that failed to resolve much of anythin. It felt like part 1 of a movie, like Kill Bill or Matrix or LotR. Not nearly as good as any of those, but the narrative had its legs cut out from under it. Still, i cannot deny having some fun with it.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I enjoyed it for what is was: a video game movie. The action was good and Milla was just too sexy in her Alice outfit and as a naked clone. Ali Larter looked really hot too. I actually stayed during the credits hoping I'd see one last shot of her making it to her destination but was disappointed there wasn't any. Overall, I was entertained. I actually liked it better than the previous one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Resident Evil Extinction". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I have to say I really liked the first 2 Resident Evil movies as campy as they were.

For me, my two sons, and two of one of my son's friends(sorry for detail, 5 people total) I spent 83.50 with tickets and concessions and I have to say that is some of the worst spent money ever. Yeah the movie did have some action but overall I just wasnt impressed at all.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Glad my view was free. A few Road Warrior, Blade, Species rips and a not so creative rehash of the facility. Yawn
I did like the first in this series. Easy to see why they keep selling money shots of Milla's hips, shorts, etc. Easy on the eyes.

Will K

Screenwriter
This was merely an okay time killer. The first two films had far more action and thrills. This one, especially in the first half, just kinda layed there not doing much of anything. Although I appreciated they visually tried to do something different, it felt like a mishmash of other apocalyptic films.

2.5/5

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I'm not really sure what to make of this one. It definitely had a different look than the other two, kind of grainy, although that could have been the theater I saw it in. I was very underwhelmed with the picture, especially compared to the first two (watching RE2 on BD right now, looks pretty good).

The plot was also kind of thin. They could have easily cut half of this one and half of RE2, merged them and made a better movie. Still, it was a Milla Jovovich Zombie movie, so I wasn't expecting Shakespeare. Ultimately, it seemed short, and kind of left me feeling like there should have been more.

I'd give it about 2.5/5.0. At the very least, it wasn't the worst movie I saw today, that honor goes to DOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks