-

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1610 replies to this topic

#1601 of 1611 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,590 posts

Posted August 05 2009 - 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell 

I guess not. Too many margaritas, I guess.

Well, that's perhaps the best explanation for anything! :)

#1602 of 1611 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'm jumping in very late!

Over the past 3 years or so I have been watching Battlestar Galactica on DVD and Blu Ray as my only means to see it. (deliberately) I got into S1 and S2 and was hooked. It was an engaging reimaging. I saw Galactica TOS in 1978 and a few times in repeats, but never got it on DVD.

So last year, I finally got back into Season 3 after stopping midway in S3. And I finally saw the conclusion of S4 last night. I've avoided reading all the Galactica threads. So it will be interesting to see your comments here. What a season full of shocks and surprises! As for the end, I liked it. I did see some comments earlier here today. I never thought Kara was a Cylon. I never thought for sure Roslin was one either. I did accidentally hear a spoiler 2 years ago that Tyrol was a Cylon and that was a disappointment to see. But it played out well and It wasn't such devastating news as I thought as he turned out to be one of the good guys.

Baltar could have been one, but it was interesting to see his thread revealed.

As for supernatural or fantasy verse sci-fi regarding how it ended, well, I thought it was very sci-fi. The overlords or whatever beings the creatures that appears as Baltar and Six to me were like the Organians in Star Trek, or the aliens in 2001. Very powerful, very old and act as guides for other beings in their development. It was interesting to see their final comments of whether the cycle of violence and destruction was broken.

I was really trying to figure out what Kara was after she returned. Was she a clone, or something else. I really like how they threaded the notes of the song as the FTL coordinates and how she figured it out. She did fulfill her role. She was like a Guardian Angel who was sent back to help guide them to the Earth, our Earth. Though I had hoped she and Lee would get together and make babies.

Also I was thinking, it's been a log time since I've seen TOS Galactica, but I remember an episode of very powerful beings in a white crystalline ship. They had Starbuck and Sheeba and Apollo. Apollo died and they brought him back. Felt like Moore was riffing on some of that and also building on the mythology from the original series. Only they didn't have Patrick Mcnee here as Count Iblis. Or perhaps that role was given to Leobin.Posted Image And it wasn't clear to me fully the mythos, The Lords of Kobol and so on.

I'm still digesting it. I was not disappointed. And I'll have to find time to watch the extended cut of the final episodes.

#1603 of 1611 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 16 2011 - 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

I was really trying to figure out what Kara was after she returned. Was she a clone, or something else. I really like how they threaded the notes of the song as the FTL coordinates and how she figured it out. She did fulfill her role. She was like a Guardian Angel who was sent back to help guide them to the Earth, our Earth. Though I had hoped she and Lee would get together and make babies.

I only wish that the writers had figured out what Kara was. . .

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#1604 of 1611 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 07:29 AM

Perhaps it wasn't important in the writer's minds of what Kara was. She was created with her memories and personality. A facsimile, who like Kara, was as in the dark as we were. The Gods had to have her complete her destiny. Sure, I would have liked to know what she was as well. And what the Balter and Six beings are who are on Earth at the end looking over Ron Moore's shoulder and reading the science magazine. Are they Angels?

The other odd thing, how did her Viper go from the place it exploded to Earth? I guess the Gods placed it there. Or a vortex in that area transported her body and Viper there. Too bad she died. But I guess she had to in order for Galactica to find Earth.

#1605 of 1611 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted May 16 2011 - 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

And what the Balter and Six beings are who are on Earth at the end looking over Ron Moore's shoulder and reading the science magazine. Are they Angels?

They could be, although the somewhat-ominous final dialogue at the very end ("That, too, is in God's plan." "You know 'it' doesn't like that name...") leaves it wide open for them to be some type of advanced, evolved alien intelligences, according to various comments made by Moore since the finale aired.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#1606 of 1611 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 16 2011 - 10:06 AM

Gods, shmods. In terms of a story it's nonsensical BS. :)

Having watched the entire series straight through on disc over a couple of months, I'm amazed at how random and pointless the 3rd and 4th seasons are compared to the brilliant first two.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#1607 of 1611 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,590 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Gods, shmods. In terms of a story it's nonsensical BS. :)

Having watched the entire series straight through on disc over a couple of months, I'm amazed at how random and pointless the 3rd and 4th seasons are compared to the brilliant first two.

In my opinion, as someone who both watched the show live, and again multiple times on DVD and BD, I think to say that the spirtual aspect of the show wasn't plainly telegraphed from the first few episodes is, quite simply, wrong.  A large portion of the *premise* of the show is founded on the ancient astronaut theory, and the spiritual tug-of-war in humanity.

If you had asked me, partway through the first season, to list a few of the central themes of the show, number one or two would have easily been "religion."  Heck, the majority of imagery in the first season was almost purely religious in nature.

Does this mean the "ending" itself was telegraphed from day one?  Definitely not.  Clearly Moore et al were making portions of it up as they went along (though, personally, I think it was a lot less than many of the so-called fans claim).  However, the influence of a spiritual belief, real or otherwise, was most definitely not one of those ad hoc decisions.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that a non-spiritual ending would have been suprising, and a tad (okay, more than a tad) disappointing.

#1608 of 1611 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 02:52 PM

Yes, the Ancient Astronaut theory. I had been thinking that too. You couldn't get more literal by the design of the Viper pilot helmets in the Original Series.

I don't recall all the elements of the religious aspects but it was sure there in the Original Series and it sure was a strong element of this version.

But in the end, while the characters had great faith in their religion, whom they worshiped, I think those "Gods" are an advanced race of beings. I'm happy to re-watch the series to catch all those things I didn't absorb.

#1609 of 1611 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 17 2011 - 01:58 AM

I don't mind a "spiritual aspect."  Really I don't. But a story still has to have a point. "It's because some god or god-like being said so" is NOT an excuse for lazy writing. Don't give me crap about made-up prophecies and don't ever use lines like "It is written." Don't make the entire story turn on random weirdness and then not explain it. Give me characters who do stuff to achieve their goals and succeed or fail on their own merits or shortcomings.

There's no reason they couldn't have tackled the Ancient Astronaut idea in ways that made sense.

Off the top of my head, some examples of good stories with spiritual aspects (in the sense we're using here, as opposed to, say, Seventh Heaven): The Rapture with Mimi Rogers, Frailty with Bill Paxton, or old-time religious epics like The Ten Commandments or Ben-Hur. There was also a really good episode of ST: Voyager that IIRC was called something like "Emanations."

And while I'm on a rant (ha ha!), don't keep reinventing your characters. Apollo was easily the worst in that regard, although he wasn't the only offender.  (See also: pretty much every Cylon.)  Consider the "arc:"

1. Fighter-Jock Apollo

2. Rebel against authoritarian dad Apollo

3. Fat Apollo

4. Married to irritating shrew Apollo

5. Paralegal Apollo

6. P*ssy Apollo

7. Follow-Starbuck-Into-Battle Apollo

8. Caveman Apollo

Say, combine #5 and #8 and you get Unfrozen (Pre-Frozen?) Caveman Lawyer!

#1610 of 1611 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 04:17 PM

Just marathoned all seasons, watched S4 last weekend when I was a little sick, a very very good show, high quality. I liked the Finale but I can see why some didn't like it. I do wish we got a little more from the Starbuck story at the end but I didn't mind how they rapped it up. There were some awesome scenes throughout the series, the Battlestar jumping into New Caprica's atmosphere was pretty fuking awesome, as was Galactica jumping right on top of the Colony and having the Colony open fire immediatly on them. My biggest nitpick was the 150k years, with their knowledge in math, science, language, achitecture and government, it only would of taken a couple thousand years to be modern day. So after this show, anyone have any similar recomendations?
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#1611 of 1611 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 06:00 PM

I spent 2 1/2 years on and off watching the entire series. The last season was a weekly viewing of one episode till the end. After such an intense viewing, I took a few months off. I'm now watching it all over to see if I can catch anything I missed. There were many very strong moments in the last season. And I did watch the Galactica movie, The Plan too.