Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official SUNSHINE Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 DonMac

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 05:09 PM

The July 20th date is a limited release. It doesn't go wide until July 27th from what I've heard.

Also, this weekend Richard Roeper listed it as one of the movies to be reviewed on "Ebert & Roeper" (or now more accurately "Roeper and guest-of-the-week") that'll be broadcast next weekend, so that'll be some exposure.

#2 of 68 RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 03:05 AM

I caught this when I was in Barcelona back in April and really enjoyed it. Actually, I thought it had better pacing than "28 Days Later." Boyle really brings the paranoia/suspense level here. It reminded me so much of "Alien." (In a good way).

Rafael.

#3 of 68 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:22 AM

Heres James Bs review...

Contains spoilers about last half of the film.

http://www.reelviews...nshine2007.html

#4 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,173 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:28 AM

So is Sunshine a monster movie ??? The trailer really grabbed be, suggesting a fun sci-fi movie, perhaps on par with The Core, but hopefully better.

But a monster movie? I don't mind vague, careful previews. But I loathe misleading previews.

#5 of 68 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 05:48 AM

Well damn it, you could have warned us that James B's review pretty much spoils the entire plot including the last quarter of the film, no huge surprises for me anymore in regards to this film. Mind you the "Extended Trailer" also does a pretty good job at this...so head's up. Posted Image

Was this film inspired by the PS1 video game Sentient? I see quite a few rather large similarities including the name of the ship, the look of the ship, the basic plot etc. etc.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#6 of 68 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 06:21 AM

"Mind you the "Extended Trailer" also does a pretty good job at this...so head's up."

Yea it does. Which is why I didnt put any sort of warning about the review.
It also shows you the fates of a few characters, which suprised me.

Ill put a warning spoiler on the James B link.

#7 of 68 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted July 24 2007 - 09:29 AM

This film is reviewed on ebert and roper this week:

http://bventertainme....bertandroeper/

They didn't seem to like it too much....two thumbs down....

But they did say it looked great...

#8 of 68 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 25 2007 - 12:48 PM

I really enjoyed The Core (yep, i'm easily amused Posted Image) so i'll love this i'm sure.

Didn't care for Boyle's 28 Days Later but this looks great. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#9 of 68 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 12:58 AM

Not playing near me yet.

#10 of 68 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted July 29 2007 - 10:25 AM

Roeper called it a "glorified slasher movie." To those who have seen it, is it a scifi movie or a horror movie? If it is the later, then I have lost all interest in it.

#11 of 68 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 11:38 AM

I'd say that in tone, it is very much a science fiction movie, but it does have a plotline that involves people being murdered. It is a bit of a swerve, but I see it much less a "glorified slasher movie" than a science fiction adventure that uses some horror situations to advance the story.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#12 of 68 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted July 29 2007 - 12:39 PM

So kinda Event Horizon like.

#13 of 68 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 01:45 PM

Wouldn't know; I haven't seen Event Horizon. This particular movie is hard science fiction, though - nothing supernatural about it, just a razor thin line between catastrophe and success that can drive people mad.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 68 Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 11:58 PM

I'd put Sunshine in almost the same category as Solaris and The Fountain, though I think it's closer to Solaris (the Soderbergh version). It's a pretty literal sci-fi story up until the end, when it seems to become a lot more....metaphorical.

What happens after they board the Icarus I did surprise me, but it didn't turn the film into a slasher movie. At least, not quite. I think Garland and Boyle had bigger ideas in mind. I'm not entirely sure what they were trying to say, but it was a fun and interesting ride.

Visually, the film is incredible and worth seeing on the big screen just for them. I also liked how the ship's crew were not action heroes, but astronauts and scientists. Chris Evans, I thought, gave a great performance as someone who was something of an asshole but still a good man. He certainly proved to me that he should be doing better things than crap like the Fantastic Four movies. Posted Image

FWIW, here are some thoughts from Alex Garland, Boyle's longtime screenwriting partner. There are spoilers, so beware:

http://whatismoderat....x-garland.html
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#15 of 68 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 02 2007 - 08:23 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sunshine". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sunshine" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 68 Jason L.

Jason L.

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 06:01 PM

108 minutes of pure tension. I needed a couple of martinis, valium, and a full body massage after this one.

#17 of 68 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 03:33 AM

I saw this movie last week with a buddy that saw it the night before. So obviosuly, he liked it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Other than the very first trailer, I knew next to nothing about this movie. That's probably the best way to see it.

And if they ever release a soundtrack, I'd buy as soon as I can

#18 of 68 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 07:34 AM

"Visually, the film is incredible and worth seeing on the big screen just for them".

VERY impressive visually and technically and simply amazing looking.

"The "slasher" element is hardly a major driver...it does appear in the third act, but it does not overshadow the overall point"

I dont understand the slasher comments at all.

Theres a sabatour, but he certainly doesnt pick off the crew one by one. From memory he only took out 1 crew member

My main problem with this section is in the way its filmed which made a few segments confusing and not quite clear.

The first hour is the most perfect sci fi you coud possibly ask for.

#19 of 68 Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 03:25 PM

I caught this in early August, and have not been able to stop thinking about it since. For me personally, this is the best film in years. I haven't loved one this much since Requiem for a Dream in 2000.

Quote:
108 minutes of pure tension. I needed a couple of martinis, valium, and a full body massage after this one.

Indeed. I actually became physically uncomfortable (sweating, tingling, the works) due to the tension and sheer claustrophobia on display. Not just your regular claustrophobia either, but the claustrophobia of the mind as well. I felt every bit of psychosis, loneliness and pressure that the characters felt. This film nails the horrors of psychological exhaustion as flawlessly as any film I've seen.

Quote:
My main problem with this section is in the way its filmed which made a few segments confusing and not quite clear.

I actually loved the filming technique used to shoot Pinbacker, as it reminded me of the visible heatwaves one often sees rising off highway asphalt.

By the way, this film may be the one to push me into the whole HD/Blu-Ray thing. I have had virtually no desire to upgrade formats, but this film was so astonishingly visual, it has single-handedly changed my tune.

Also, I can't say it enough... I adore Rose Byrne with all my heart. She is the most perfect combination of talent, beauty and charm. I'll watch her in anything.

#20 of 68 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,452 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_S
For me personally, this is the best film in years. I haven't loved one this much since Requiem for a Dream in 2000.
I'm certain I've seen you say that about at least 20 other movies.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

Forum Nav Content I Follow