Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Chinatown SE?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 03:26 AM

Any word if there is going to be a Chinatown SE coming out? If so, any info on when? Many retailers seem to be heavily discounting the current DVD.
P.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 17 2007 - 04:33 AM

I can't imagine Paramount would let that go to Criterion as part of their recent deal, but it's a terrific thought isn't it?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 10:17 AM

I wish! There's no doubt in my mind that Criterion would do justice to CHINATOWN if Parmamount lets them, but I can't imagine Paramount letting them.

And while they're at it, why not ROSEMARY'S BABY . Two of the best movies ever made and two of my favorite films.

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   MTRodaba2468

MTRodaba2468

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 12:06 PM

Well, I bit recently and picked it up for a few bucks at Best Buy last week.

Knowing my luck, expect a Chinatown: Criterion Collection announcement in another week or so. >_>

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 12:19 PM

I agree: an updated transfer for this is definitely in order. The current disc is lacking.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 06:51 PM

What about "The Two Jakes"?
Would be a sin if both these films weren't handled equally for Home Video.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W
And while they're at it, why not ROSEMARY'S BABY . Two of the best movies ever made and two of my favorite films.

There aren't many major people associated with this movie who are still alive. Polanski and Farrow, that's about it. Polanski might agree to do a commentary, though, from Europe. Farrow hasn't done one yet (that I know of), but maybe...

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:03 AM

For what it's worth: Amazon.de lists a Special Collector's Edition of "Chinatown" for October 29th. And given Paramount's usual track record I think it's relatively safe to say that an R1 release will happen around the same time.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 12:38 PM

I read earlier this year CHINATOWN went through a complete restoration and would be released on DVD, HD DVD and BLU RAY by the end of the year. HD NET Movies has been showing it lately.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted January 16 2008 - 07:18 AM

Bradley, where did you read that news of imminent high def releases of Chinatown?

Perhaps my cursory search didn't find it but it appears there's no HTF review of last November's Special Collector's Edition release.

Would someone who had/has the old disc and who has purchased the new SCE post whether the 13 minutes of "Retrospective Interviews" of Bob Towne, Bob Evans and Roman that are on the former appear in the supps on the latter please?

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 07:48 AM

Oh and one other thing: any comments on whether the new disc also elegantly employs the score under some of the menus and the harp accompaniment under transitions from one menu to another would be appreciated. The Chinatown score CD is OOP and it's nice to have pieces of it under the main menu of the 1999 DVD, which I sometimes just let play repeatedly. Posted Image

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 16 2008 - 08:44 AM

Paul:

Old interviews are not carried over to the newest release.

Also, forget about the nice harp music and the beautiful Venetian Blind wipe when moving between DVD menus. Apparently that was too hard to pull off. Static menus like from a third rate DVD producer is what we get this time out.

What we got was a better looking video (no doubt) and piled higher and deeper mediocre new supplements.

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 09:16 AM

This should've been nominated into "missed oppurtunity of the year" in the htf awards. It's too bad Criterion didn't get their hands on it.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 16 2008 - 09:26 AM

Agreed Marco.

I see that the OOP Chinatown Soundtrack is going for 70+ bucks.

I happen to have the CD.

It's a digital world. Wink wink. Drop me a PM.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 16 2008 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
This should've been nominated into "missed oppurtunity of the year" in the htf awards. It's too bad Criterion didn't get their hands on it.

Amen.

Dear Criterion: if you can prise this from the grasp of 'clearly couldn't give a toss about classic film' Paramount, I promise I'll buy it. Again. Honest.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 10:08 AM

Thx much, Rich.

Although I can somewhat understand the studio's probable argument that it is too early in the High Def packaged Media era to release deep catalog titles given the low number of HDM households, on the other hand, there's that kick ass Blade Runner UCE release disproving that theory/notion.

From taking three years to release Braveheart on DVD at all and then taking another seven to release it as an SE, to making us wait forever for an anamorhphic Titanic (although I grant that some of this was at Cameron's behest), to releasing Babel movie-only to HDM when a 2-disc SE was released to SD DVD last fall, to this release, Paramount continues to frustrate. (I'd like to think that's the reason it's leading in the "Worst Studio" HTF awards category, but I bet a lot of those votes are from disgruntled BD partisans.)

I would just Netflix these SD DVDs to mark time until HD release, but one of my few criticisms of Nf is that they are not very good at stocking multiple releases of a particular title, much less making it clear which version you might be getting via the artwork at the site. I find the whole situation vexing. "I'm terribly vexed." At least the SDs are both cheaper than in the past and available for even less after a few months used via Amazon Marketplace.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 11:54 AM

seems like Paramount Home Video is more focused on their TV shows than mining the vault.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Adam_Duncan

Adam_Duncan

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 03:03 AM

A shame this didn't get a better SE release.

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 21 2008 - 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Duncan
A shame this didn't get a better SE release.
It's a bit of a cheat, isn't it.
In 1999 the Nuart in West L.A. screened a brand new 35mm print four or five times a day over the course of three days. It sold out each time. Entire classes showed up from USC and the AFI. The theater was packed with industry pros, too. Of the five screenings I attended (that's right, five) it held the audience enthralled each time as if it were a brand new film. Before the lights dimmed the manager came to talk about the film and each time he asked the audience to raise their hands if they were seeing Chinatown for the first time, and most people did.

Compared to the new print I saw projected in 1999, the present DVD is woefully inadequate.

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 21 2008 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Compared to the new print I saw projected in 1999, the present DVD is woefully inadequate.

Richard,

How so?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow