Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Video conversion software

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Chris Souders

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 20 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hi guys, I'm looking for software recommendations to take large quicktime files and basically downgrade them most efficiently and good-looks wise. Basically, I have an 18 min presentation I video-camed... I downloaded it in ImovieHD and it is something like 15GB's. I exported it full quality as a .mov file and I want to put it into a powerpoint presentation. I don't, however, want it to be 15 GB's. Smaller. Perhaps part of the problem is my videocam is 1080i hi def so it's a large widescreen file. I got Imovie to do a mp4 version, but it was extremely blocky and not pleasurable to look at. Perhaps what I need to do is scale the video down to a smaller size? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Chris

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 20 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hmmm... That's kind of a loaded question... You have the software you need (Quicktime, via iMovie) to export to a smaller file. The problem is knowing what settings to choose - and that can't be explained in a brief paragraph. iMove works in a 5:1 compression, native DV format. As you've found, the files are huge. Cutting the file size drastically will require either smaller frame size, slower framerate, or both. I'm not sure if you need QT Pro to get all of the export options, but you may start by using the H.264 codec with a mid-quality compression. Resize to 640x480 or smaller (as small as you can get away with). If the video is a talking head type content, drop the framerate to 15 or less. QT is notably slow at encoding. Check out Handbrake.. it's free, and if I recall, will let you size at above 320x240 in advanced mode. It's not versatile, but it's the closest to one-click encoding you'll find for free. If you're comfortable with codecs and settings, ffmpegx is my conversion and encoding tool of choice. There are other options that offer fast encoding with good presets, such as Sorenson Squeeze and Media Cleaner.. but those are not inexpensive. -Scott

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted June 21 2007 - 01:55 AM

But VisualHub is inexpensive and pretty flexible. Worth a look!

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 07:55 AM

Handbrake will only convert from DVD data, either on disk or hard drive. It needs to see the video_ts folder somewhere. Another vote for VisualHub. Try it for free, it gives you a 2 minute sample of the result. CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Chris Souders

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 09:52 AM

And slightly related, what's the best file format to convert to? I making a powerpoint presentation on a mac, but going to show it on a PC powerpoint.... Chris

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 03:01 PM

If you want to try something free, iSquint is the little brother of Visual Hub, and is very simple -- just drop a file onto it, select "optimize for TV" and move the slider to a high-ish quality. It defaults to MPEG-4, though it will also do H.264 if you want it to and if the PC that the presentation will be done on can play H.264 files. H.264 is smaller and nicer looking, but takes a lot longer to encode.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 27 2007 - 03:48 PM

Use WMV. From experience, embedded QuickTime content will not display properly if the presentation machine doesn't have a recent version of QuickTime installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users