Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions from someone entering into DV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   peterac

peterac

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 04:01 AM

Hi all, I am new to the digital video world and I wanted to get some good feedback on where I am and where I should go from here. So here’s my background: I have about 9 years of Hi8/Digital 8 tapes which I have done no editing on whatsoever. My son is now 9 and we now have an 8 month old baby girl. So, I am in the market for an HD Camcorder. I want to convert all of my tapes to digital so that I can edit them as well as my new digital video taken from my new camcorder. I have a copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio & DVD Platinum which I received as a gift. Here is what I'd like to know: I’d like to know the best and most efficient way to convert my tapes to digital. One of the main reasons I want to go digital is because I want to edit and create DVDs for family and friends. If I purchase an HD camera am I going to need an expensive burner that can rip high def disks? I have no clue about this. Also, if I burn a high def disk will it have to be Blue Ray or HD DVD? Will the people I give these to be able to watch them on a standard DVD player? How do I deal with the fact that not everyone has an HDTV or HD DVD player? I have an HDTV but not a high def player (we might get a Sony PS3). I am in the market for a camera like the HV20 or HC7. I think I am leaning to a Sony. I have had good luck with their camcorders in the past. Unless there are benfits to getting a Canon because I am used to their D-SLR user interface. Essentially, this will be a major change for me from simply popping in a tape and archiving the tapes into a box. I am computer literate so learning software will not be a problem. Can I get some advice on workflow, compression, quality, etc? Lastly, is there a place on the web I can go to learn the basics? The more I know upfront the better off I will be. Thanks! Pete R.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 04:32 PM

Unless you're going to burn DVD-ROMs to be played back only on computers, creating "HD" discs (with full resolution) for your family/friends will require the entire chain ("filming/recording", "editing", "burning", "playback") to be HD. I would presume that for people who do not have HD disc playback systems, you will need to burn either standard DVD-Video discs, or DVD-ROM discs with "HD" content that computers with DVD drives can play back. If you are starting with a recording from a HD camcorder, you'll need to "downconvert" the resolution. I would think that some software or hardware packages could do this for you, although I don't know specific ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users