Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

You guys see the size of this hog ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 04:32 PM

Maybe I am showing my naivete, but I didnt even know things like this existed. I know there are wild hogs. I may have dated a few...I kid, I kid, but they might as well have posted a picture of big foot (and I dont mean Andre the Giant in half a bear suit).

Posted Image

I mean look at that thing. You could feed a family for half a year, then again, I dont know how hog tastes...I suppose it tastes like chick...derr, I mean, like pig.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 25 2007 - 08:41 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2....ion=cnn_latest The photo is deceiving in that the guy is an 11 year old kid.

Well the kid had some backup, but still....handgun hunting something like that? I would have used my biggest bore rifle - 8mm Mauser - and kept the bayonet on just for a backup.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Scott W.

Scott W.

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 09:56 PM

I can't believe it went on living so long and never found out. Woah, saw it here and on local news as well.

Scott

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,413 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 26 2007 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
"It feels really good," Jamison said. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Monster Pig. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.
Ah, the thrill of torturing an animal to death.Posted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, you gotta love the "I probably won't ever kill anything else that big." line Posted Image.

Life just ain't worth livin' unless you kill something big. Posted Image

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 08:10 AM

Here's another photo, not quite as impressive looking as that first photo, must be some funky perspective maybe?

Posted Image
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hey kid! There are elephants at the zoo! Is that big enough for ya? Posted Image

Can you imagine the size of the strips of bacon off that hog? Homer would drool over that! Posted Image

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 26 2007 - 11:34 AM

That kid isn't exactly "skinny" himself...and at only 11 years old. Maybe he should lower his sausage consumption.

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
That kid isn't exactly "skinny" himself...and at only 11 years old. Maybe he should lower his sausage consumption.

After killing that thing, his sausage consumption will be going through the roof! Posted Image
"Bobby is and idiot"

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
You guys see the size of this hog ?
Oh, so we AREN'T supposed to be looking at the kid? Posted Image

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted May 27 2007 - 01:28 PM

It's nice to see a father and son bonding over the hanging corpse of a half ton animal.

Brings back memories of me, my "Uncle Pablo" and mom.

Thems the days, thems the days.

ry

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,228 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 27 2007 - 02:48 PM

Interesting. I saw the first picture (Post #1) in the NYC newspapers over the weekend. I showed to my father (a longtime hunter) and we had the usual discussions over the facts of the article...11-year old kid...50-caliber handgun...eight rounds...canned hunt...etc.

But I was absolutely overwhelmed by the size of the boar in the picture.

My wife laughed at me. She said you must be obsessed with big pigs. She reminded me that I had once paid $2 at a county fair to see a "1000-pound pig"! The pig I saw (who knows how much it really weighed...looked much closer to the pig in Post #6.

Bottom line. Now I'm starting to wonder if the picture in Post #1 was doctored? I hate to suggest it...but there's no way that boy could be standing up and leaning on that pig...if it is the size it is in Post #6! The wild boar in Post #1 looks positively prehistoric!

Look at the size of the kid's head to the pig's head in each of the pictures. There's something funky going on! I would take the "perspective" defense...but in each of these pictures the pig and the kid look to be in pretty close proximity to each other.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted May 27 2007 - 04:26 PM

I also saw the picture in yesterday's paper (before seeing this thread) and was shocked at the size of the thing.

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 27 2007 - 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Ah, the thrill of torturing an animal to death.Posted Image
That's hunting. Animals do the same thing to other animals on the chase.

[on my soapbox]I love all of the indignation people have about hunting; especially ones (and I'm not addressing this at you, Jonny, because I don't know you or your living situation) that have moved into these sprawling housing developments on the very forests and farmland where these animals used to live. Why are deer eating your bushes? Because the habitat they used to live on is your neighborhood.

Hunting isn't the problem, it's the solution. Helps keep populations to sustainable levels for their shrinking habitats. Starvation is a far worse torture than a couple hour chase, which is unfortunate.[/off my soapbox]

That said, I did feel sort of bad about the boar. It's like the mythical fish that everyone purports to have almost caught at the local fishing hole. Anything that gets that epic deserves to die of old age.

EDIT: I just read the article in question, and how the boy and his father could have finished it off at any point. That being the case, I'm with Johnny 100%. That's cruel torture. Everyone that I know who hunts ALWAYS goes for the clean kill.

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Everyone that I know who hunts ALWAYS goes for the clean kill.
That's probably beacuse they are "Hunters". I hate the fact that people consider themselves "Hunters" just because they can shoot a gun at an animal. I guarantee you that many animals are tortured because of idiots who think they are "Hunters". Posted Image

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
I'm not about to make the kid with the .50 caliber hand-cannon do the truffle shuffle.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 02:45 AM

That first picture, once you get beyond the initial awe (and horror) starts to look a bit strange, in light of the second one. It think the kid is standing much further back than the picture suggests. If he is leaning against the hog, then he must have disproportionately long legs...

--
H

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 28 2007 - 04:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not about to make the kid with the .50 caliber hand-cannon do the truffle shuffle.

Let's just say that I considerably outgun him.....

"OK punk, eat your broccoli!" Posted Image

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
That first picture, once you get beyond the initial awe (and horror) starts to look a bit strange, in light of the second one. It think the kid is standing much further back than the picture suggests. If he is leaning against the hog, then he must have disproportionately long legs...

--
H

I think you're right. Looking at it again, the kid is sitting/standing next to the tree, which also looks like it could be 4-5 feet behind the pig. The photographer would have chosen the camera angle that makes it look like the kid is leaning on the pig, when in fact he isn't (which a closer look at the picture seems to confirm). If that is the case, then there is clearly a distorted perspective going on, and the size of the pig fits more closely with the pic in post 6.

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 07:19 AM

I agree, in the first pic you can tell by the boy's posture that he has one of his leg's propped up on something (a stump perhaps) so I do think that he is a few feet behind the hog....but even in the second pic that pig is rather large, just not Mysterious Island large. Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow