Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yet, another Fox BR title delayed.


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#1 of 152 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 24,848 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 26 2007 - 09:15 PM

I think it's safe to say that most of us that have BR players are sick and tired of Fox constantly delaying titles that were announced back in January. So "Me, Myself and Irene" joins "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", "The Fly", "Commando" and several other Fox titles that have been delayed over the last 3 months or so.


http://www.highdefdi....-ray_Slate/545

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#2 of 152 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

    Screenwriter



  • 2,523 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 09 2000
  • Real Name:Chris S

Posted March 27 2007 - 12:30 AM

So the only title they've been able to release from their announced list at CES is Eragon? Pathetic...
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#3 of 152 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

    Producer



  • 5,276 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 13 2000

Posted March 27 2007 - 01:26 AM

I'll admit I was wrong. I was defending Fox a couple of months back on their initial delay - but, this is just absolutely ridiculous and I am now convinced they had no intentions of actually releasing these titles anytime soon and it was ALL for show at CES.

Furthermore, let me just say they have been releasing crap in terms of video quality in too many cases. No excuse at all - especially compared to what some of the other studios have been releasing.

#4 of 152 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 24,848 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2007 - 01:39 AM

Which Fox titles have been crappy PQ-wise? I bought a bunch of Fox titles a couple of weeks ago when Amazon had their sale, but haven't watched any of them yet.




Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#5 of 152 OFFLINE   Rob Young

Rob Young

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 91 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2007

Posted March 27 2007 - 02:02 AM

Not surprising since the studio is trying to rob us owners with their catalog prices. They obviously don't give a rip and are banking on the fact they KNOW bluray owners will buy the stuff they release.

Man, real consumer friendly!

#6 of 152 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

    Producer



  • 6,017 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 26 1999

Posted March 27 2007 - 02:16 AM

Look at the bright side, you get to pay $40 for the title once they do release it Posted Image

#7 of 152 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

    Lead Actor



  • 9,306 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969

Posted March 27 2007 - 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Young
They obviously don't give a rip and are banking on the fact they KNOW bluray owners will buy the stuff they release.
You have to actually make movies available for purchase to bank on that.

I used to joke that the big CES announcement was just a smokescreen to create the appearance of BD steamrolling over HD DVD (and I still think, looking at Fox's cancellations, a lot of people owe Universal an apology), but I'm coming around to the idea that Fox actually intended to release them and got scared off by AACS being cracked. So, the only things they release are movies like Eragon where the bump of a day-and-date release is potentially too large to ignore.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 152 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

    Screenwriter



  • 2,523 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 09 2000
  • Real Name:Chris S

Posted March 27 2007 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
...I still think, looking at Fox's cancellations, a lot of people owe Universal an apology...

How does Fox's lack of follow through have any affect on the peoples' opinion about Universal's lack of title announcements? Should we be thankful to Universal that they withheld the announcement of titles that they eventually leaked a few weeks later (and should be noted have so far made good on)?
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#9 of 152 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

    Lead Actor



  • 9,306 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969

Posted March 27 2007 - 05:26 AM

Because the two were being very much linked in discussion - that BD was kicking HD DVD's butt because of the avalanche of titles being announced for it, including a large number of Fox/MGM catalog titles - while Universal didn't announce anything. Now it looks like Universal was behaving responsibly while Fox was being rash at best and underhanded at worst, but the uproar isn't nearly at the level as it was during the show.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#10 of 152 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

    Screenwriter



  • 2,233 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 03 2002

Posted March 27 2007 - 05:48 AM

This is getting pathetic....
Wait. Getting? It IS pathetic. Fox, you should be ashamed.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 152 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

    Screenwriter



  • 2,174 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 14 1999
  • Real Name:Chad Rouch

Posted March 28 2007 - 01:47 AM

Reminds me of the Laserdisc days when you could check the Image website every Friday to see what titles were actually going to be released on Tuesday as announced, and which ones were postponed to a new date (which would inevitably be postponed again). I remember waiting for the Star Wars Special Edition from September through several delays until late November.

#12 of 152 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

    Producer



  • 5,276 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 13 2000

Posted March 28 2007 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Which Fox titles have been crappy PQ-wise? I bought a bunch of Fox titles a couple of weeks ago when Amazon had their sale, but haven't watched any of them yet.




Crawdaddy


I misspoke. There have been a couple titles I've watched recently that I was not impressed with, but they are MGM and Sony - not Fox.

#13 of 152 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

    Supporting Actor



  • 500 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2002

Posted March 28 2007 - 05:32 AM

As big as Fox is on piracy, you guys are really surprised they are delaying titles while AACS is completely useless? Supposedly AACS has an update coming shortly, and I bet that all of a sudden Warner, Paramount, Universal and Fox start releasing titles again. Until the AACS fix is released, I bet there are many more "delayed" titles for both formats in our future.

If there is any irritation that needs to be directed somewhere, direct it at the people that made it easy to pirate HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies. Having AACS broken so early in these formats allows the studios the option to delay or cancel titles while there isn't much profit to be made anyway. Had this happened later when there was more money to be made, I don't think we'd have seen HD-DVD have such a dry spell through the beginning of this year.

#14 of 152 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

    Screenwriter



  • 2,689 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969
  • Real Name:Sean

Posted March 28 2007 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
If there is any irritation that needs to be directed somewhere, direct it at the people that made it easy to pirate HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies. Having AACS broken so early in these formats allows the studios the option to delay or cancel titles while there isn't much profit to be made anyway. Had this happened later when there was more money to be made, I don't think we'd have seen HD-DVD have such a dry spell through the beginning of this year.

Exactly! I agree 100%.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#15 of 152 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 24,848 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2007 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron
As big as Fox is on piracy, you guys are really surprised they are delaying titles while AACS is completely useless? Supposedly AACS has an update coming shortly, and I bet that all of a sudden Warner, Paramount, Universal and Fox start releasing titles again. Until the AACS fix is released, I bet there are many more "delayed" titles for both formats in our future.

If there is any irritation that needs to be directed somewhere, direct it at the people that made it easy to pirate HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies. Having AACS broken so early in these formats allows the studios the option to delay or cancel titles while there isn't much profit to be made anyway. Had this happened later when there was more money to be made, I don't think we'd have seen HD-DVD have such a dry spell through the beginning of this year.
So far it's basically Fox that is delaying titles, not Warner, Paramount, Universal or Sony.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#16 of 152 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

    Supporting Actor



  • 500 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2002

Posted March 28 2007 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
So far it's basically Fox that is delaying titles, not Warner, Paramount, Universal or Sony.

Sure, and Universal, Warner and Paramount never had any plans to release movies for the first 3 months of this year. The easiest way to delay a movie is not to announce it in the first place.

#17 of 152 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

    Producer



  • 3,044 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 30 2006

Posted March 28 2007 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron
Sure, and Universal, Warner and Paramount never had any plans to release movies for the first 3 months of this year. The easiest way to delay a movie is not to announce it in the first place.
Not sure about Universal and Paramount, but Warner made it quite obvious that they were going to release BD and HD at the same time. Given the state of, or lack of Java support on the BD side has forced Warner to delay (or not announce) many new releases.

With the announcement of Matrix on HD first, here's hoping that Warner gave up on this policy.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.


#18 of 152 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

    Supporting Actor



  • 500 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2002

Posted March 28 2007 - 10:36 AM

Quote:
Not sure about Universal and Paramount, but Warner made it quite obvious that they were going to release BD and HD at the same time. Given the state of, or lack of Java support on the BD side has forced Warner to delay (or not announce) many new releases.

How much easier was it for Warner to decide on this policy when any movies they put out were going to be easily pirated anyway? I'm sure delaying titles to wait for Total HD was also a much easier policy to adhere to during this break in AACS as well. The timing of the AACS fix and the sudden increase in HD-DVD release scheduling are far too coincidental to not have been planned. If I ran a studio and the copy protection was broken while sales numbers were so small, I'd probably hold things up too and see what AACS was going to do to fix things.

The real question is: Can AACS can infact secure future releases? If they can, for how long? If AACS is compromised fairly quickly, Hollywood is going to have to decide once and for all what they plan to do. Either they will just have to learn to live with the piracy and release thier movies, or they will have to totally rethink thier HD plans for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. If AACS is totally broken, I can see the studios releasing more classic movies and non blockbusters catalog titles until the market grows enough to support the blockbusters. I really don't think that would be such a bad thing in the long run.

#19 of 152 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

    Producer



  • 3,044 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 30 2006

Posted March 28 2007 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron
How much easier was it for Warner to decide on this policy when any movies they put out were going to be easily pirated anyway? I'm sure delaying titles to wait for Total HD was also a much easier policy to adhere to during this break in AACS as well. The timing of the AACS fix and the sudden increase in HD-DVD release scheduling are far too coincidental to not have been planned.
Shawn, while you certainly could be right, the current releases were scheduled well before the fix was in. Bottom line is, I am just glad that the flood gates seem to be opening up now.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.


#20 of 152 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

    Supporting Actor



  • 500 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 25 2002

Posted March 28 2007 - 11:12 AM

From the insider thread at avs:

Quote:
DVD_sanchez:

Any BD Insiders care to explain what wrong with FOX? Are they reconsidering their Blu-ray support?

paidgeek:

They are working extremely hard to resolve the security issues that have stalled some of their releases.

Kris Deering:

So it has to do with the AACS issues?

paidgeek:

AACS and BD+

Cees should be thrilled to see his beloved BD+ being mentioned and possibly implemented.


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow