Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung or Mitsubishi

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul Dyer

Paul Dyer

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hello!
Next week I will be receiving a yearly bonus from my employer. I would like to purchase my first hdtv. I am considering purchasing either the Samsung hl-s5687w or the Mitsubishi wd-57731. It is easy to find comments on the Samsung, but I can not find that much about the Mitsubishi. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I do plan to save and buy either a playstation 3 or a blu-ray player in a few months, so the fact that both are 1080p appeals to me. I am a bit worried about the rainbow effect, but it appears that I don't see it, although stories of people who could not see it until weeks later after having purchased a dlp set do make me a bit uneasy. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   gts

gts

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 02:31 PM

I just bought the Samsung HL-S5687W and love it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat just for the DVD quality I'm seeing from my early generation player. My DirecTV upgrade will be here in a few days, so no HDTV yet. I'm expecting to see an outstanding picture once I have it.

I tripped over the rainbows when I glanced across the room (moving my eyes quickly). If I try, I can make them appear. I was worried about the rainbows as well and I've seen them BUT only when the image is very dark AND when I "dart" my eyes back and forth. I'd have to say that they're not as severe as I was worried about and definitely not a deal breaker for a DLP. Of course, YMMV.

Congrats on the bonus!Posted Image

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul Dyer

Paul Dyer

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for your comments. I have not been able to observe the rainbows but am still just a bit uneasy over the possibility that I might begin to see them perhaps weeks later, after buying my new tv. Other than that, it seems that a dlp set, such as the Samsung, offers more possibilites for someone such as myself. For my budget, I would have to choose a much smaller lcd or plasma set.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 09:42 PM

FYI - Samsung has a new model coming out in a matter of weeks called HL-T5687S. This uses LEDs and does not have a color wheel so it virtually eliminates the rainbow effect. The LEDs also last for over 20,000 hours (around 5x-10x the life of a bulb).

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   BenS

BenS

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 11:38 PM

Go with the Mitsubishi

I researched the Samsung for a friend recommended it and I was going into Ultimate Electronics to buy it and they happened to have the Mits sitting right next to it. It had only been out a week and I had no idea it was out. After seeing the two sitting next to each otheer I just couldn't pass up the clarity brightness deep blacks and wonderful picture the Mits produced. If this set would have been out when my buddy was looking for a tv I would have recommended this one instead. Having this TV in my house since August has been a dream I couldn't be happier with it.
Thanks,

Ben

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 01 2007 - 05:15 PM

Check out www.avsforum.com
goto rear projrction dept
My son and I both have 65 Mits 1080i with great pictures that are going on 5yrs old with no problems.
Ken