-

Photo
- - - - -

ABC develops Geico Cavemen sitcom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#41 of 102 Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 05:06 AM

Anyone know the song that plays in the background while the caveman walks by the sign and then goes back to look at it in disgust? My wife is dying to get a hold of that song.

#42 of 102 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,843 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 08 2007 - 08:50 AM

Yes. It's "Remind Me" by Royksopp.

#43 of 102 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 08:59 AM

This could be the greatest tv show ever!

Tina's here. We're getting back together. Posted Image

I want to see some cavewomen. Posted Image

up with cavemen

Quote:
Mission Statement:

As America’s oldest and largest caveman civil rights organization, Up With Cavemen works with a unified voice to ensure that cavemen everywhere, no matter their physical appearance, can live open, honest lives.

LMAO

#44 of 102 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 09:43 AM

From today's "Washington Post" TV Column:

Quote:
In the sitcom -- one of 16 the network has ordered as it puts together next season's prime-time slate -- the three cavemen live in the suburbs of modern-day Atlanta (which perhaps the network feels is closer to the Paleolithic era than, say, Manhattan). There, they suffer from the prejudice of others, in much the same way they have since Geico first claimed in its ads that its Web site is so easy to use "even a caveman can do it."
"We felt it was a way of doing a social satire without offending any particular group -- other than cavemen," an ABC network spokeswoman told The TV Column on condition that she be allowed to toil in anonymity. "It's just a big, noisy, fun idea."

#45 of 102 Cavan.B

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm up for it; sounds like fun.

One question: Will the Gecko guest star at some point? Posted Image
"...the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes." -- Sen. Ted Stevens (AK)

"Who do you wanna nuke, Barack? Who are you afraid of?" -- Fmr. Sen. Mike Gravel

Those round, shiny things...

#46 of 102 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hopefully..........as dinner!!

#47 of 102 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
And am I the only one who remembers It's About Time
I remember this as well.

Quote:
Has ABC realized that the entire premise of the commercials is based on bigotry? Sure there aren't any real cavemen to offend, but it doesn't take a genius to see they're just surrogates. A few commercials can get away with it, can a weekly show? It won't be too long before one of the uncomfortable "cavemen" situations hits too close I would imagine.
You have got to be shitting me.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#48 of 102 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,843 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 10 2007 - 09:34 AM

I didn't see Chuck's post on the previous page, but Geico's Caveman's Crib website has the full version of Remind Me if anyone wants to listen to it.

http://www.cavemanscrib.com/

#49 of 102 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavan.B
One question: Will the Gecko guest star at some point? Posted Image
He already has!

Gecko and the Caveman

#50 of 102 DanielCo

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 04:00 AM

I love the news interview commercial. "Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock." His reaction just cracks me up.

#51 of 102 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 05:45 AM

I found this link on the TV Guide website regarding re-tooling the series, even before it is aired. http://community.tvg....-San/800023072

Quote:
ABC's lightning-rod Cavemen sitcom has undergone more than a cast tweak and pilot reshoot. The titular Cro-Mags also are no longer braving Atlanta, and will instead call San Diego home, the Associated Press reports. Does Cali offer better car-insurance rates? Nah, it was simply a matter of not being able to "fake" Atlanta with a Los Angeles shoot.

As previously reported, the original pilot — in which the wonderfully snarkastic Nick and his hirsute homies crash an upper-crust country club — has been scrapped, and the first episode out of the gate now will concern the revelation that one of the guys is dating a (gasp!) Homo sapien. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not sure if this is going to help keep the show on the air, though.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#52 of 102 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,474 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I saw the original Atlanta pilot.

Wasn't good at all.
They only redeeming thing about that pilot was the sarcastic caveman.

This Atlanta pilot had nothing going for it

all-banner.jpg

#53 of 102 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,474 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 03:47 PM

Just saw the San Diego Pilot and it's even worse than the Atlanta pilot

A TERRIBLE...TERRIBLE show

The second casualty from my 2007 fall tv list

all-banner.jpg

#54 of 102 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 03:47 PM

Saw the show, don't know if there's enough to keep it though. The Caveman twist works great for the Geico commercials but each week dealing with there yuppie type attitudes might be a bit much for me. I'll give it one more week then see what happens.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#55 of 102 mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:11 PM

I liked Cavemen.
But I'm a fan of sarcasm.

#56 of 102 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,843 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 02 2007 - 08:47 PM

So far, this show is Oakland--no there there. The best caveman is Maurice, since he's the guy from the ads, but he's just a side character. The commercials worked because "we didn't know you guys were still around," but on the show, everybody knows these guys are around. It's basically just a bunch of guys with prosthetic makeup on for no reason.

The only laugh line for me was, "Keep your penis in your genus." Cavemen playing with the Wii might have been funny, but I already saw the joke in The Irredeemable Ant-Man, and that instance will never be topped for me.

I didn't hate it. I'll keep watching it for now, but I won't be counting the days 'til Tuesday.

#57 of 102 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted October 03 2007 - 12:57 AM

It wasn't as bad as people here led me to expect. There seemed to be so much hatred for the show before it even aired that I doubt it will be able to last.

There are so few sitcoms on, that I will still watch this until it get pulled.

It isn't the best thing on tv, but it was still better than another gameshow or a reality show.

I just don't see this place (this forum) ever giving this show a chance. There was so much outrage over the premise that it had no chance.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#58 of 102 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted October 03 2007 - 03:56 AM

It was just a bad show - including:

- Annoying characters who are not funny - who cares if they are in cave man makeup
- Where are the cave women? One of the characters has a problem dating non-cave women...but there aren't any around. They went to several locations (party, bar, gym...) and there were a lot of cave men...but none of the women (didn't make much since)...

- Trying to make a statement about interracial dating - again statements are just not funny - usually a sign that a good show has jumped the shark is when they start making statement shows...
-So, we have a comedy with no laughs, and a bunch of non-funny characters who are just annoying yuppies tied to their cell phones and text messages -
- A few not so well hidden racial sex jokes and stereotypes that are usually associated with African-Americans - somehow made less offensive by being applied to a race that doesn't really exist.

#59 of 102 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,256 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 04:15 AM

I only saw 2 minutes, then went to The War finale which I really wanted to see anyway. I agree, looked like a bunch of guys with cavemen make up. I didn't hate it or love, it just didn't do anything, no hook.

After reading a few comments here, it sounds like it could have worked better if they modeled this show on The Munsters premise.

#60 of 102 Roger_S

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 04:15 AM

I couldn't get into it at all and actually only managed to watch about half the show before I had to turn it off.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow