Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

pubwic wadio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 of 30 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 28 2007 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Still better than Nancy Grace.
She's terrible. I've seen her parodied on Boston Legal and I think another lawyer show too.

I first noticed how aggressive she was in convicting suspects even before the trial with the Scott somebody who was eventually convicted of killing his pregnant wife and dumping her in SF bay.

His guilt or innocence aside, she was extremely prejudicial. I say shame on any network giving her air time.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#22 of 30 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 01:57 AM

It's annoying too when people like Steven Hawking speak or try to. How utterly irritating!

#23 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
While I disagree with the stated opinions of the OP, I certainly think he should be allowed to post them. Your statement smacks of "how dare he criticize public radio." If he was posting in the Movies section about a movie he didn't like, would you say "avoid the movies you don't like"? It's going to be boring around here if we can only discuss what we like.

That being said, Public Radio is an oasis in vast arid wasteland that most of the other stations are.

I was replying to the comment "another reason to avoid NPR". Terri Gross is NPR, Ira Glass is PRI. And Public Radio stations pick and choose (and buy) what they want to carry.

#24 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,320 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 28 2007 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Cohen
Is this thread dead yet? The buzzkill is overwhelming.
...MC
Buzzkill? Did you hope to have a thread of moaning about Ira Glass' speech style?

Tell us what you wanted so we can stop harshing your charm. Posted Image

#25 of 30 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 05:49 AM

I haven't noticed that Ira Glass turns r's and l's into w's, but I'll have to listen for it.

Daniel Shore's speech is weird to me. Its hard to explain what exactly it is that seems off.

#26 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
Daniel Shore's speech is weird to me.
Shore's voice seems to have an upper-crust "I'm wiser and more enlightened that you peons who dare to differ with me" quality to it.

#27 of 30 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Shore's voice seems to have an upper-crust "I'm wiser and more enlightened that you peons who dare to differ with me" quality to it.
I dunno, to me he sounds more like he is about to keel over.

I like Giles Snyder's voice, certainly peculiar: he sounds curiously detached, as if what he was reading was beneath him and, with perhaps a hint of annoyance even but not quite, you know? Hard to explain, but I think it's awesome Posted Image.

--
H

#28 of 30 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
Did you hope to have a thread of moaning about Ira Glass' speech style?
Um. Yeah. I think that I might have envisioned that. At least we could have all posted in the same "W for L & R" style that I started out in. That would have made this more fun.

I actually like Daniel Shore... He sounds like a kindly grandfather. (See THE GAME, of course.)

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#29 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,320 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 28 2007 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Cohen
Um. Yeah. I think that I might have envisioned that. At least we could have all posted in the same "W for L & R" style that I started out in. That would have made this more fun.

sowwy dude. didn't mean to be a buzzkiew.

pwease fogiw me. Posted Image

#30 of 30 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 03:03 PM

I don't like much Ira Glass' voice or his show (and don't listen to it), but he's a lot better than David Sedaris. Doesn't Tom Brokaw have an inability to say "R"?

As for Daniel Schorr, the guy covered Franklin Roosevelt's presidential campaigns. I like his voice, even when I don't agree with him ; of course, I also take the time to have a considered opinion, so I don't greet someone else's with this anti-intellectual "how dare he!" reaction. His voice reflects a public speaking (and radio announcing) style which has been dead for decades, steam-rollered over by the shrill inanities of modern radio and television. Honestly, listen to the anchors of your local TV news programme — a cage full of squirrels would produce the same effect.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow