What's new

SONY Bravia KDL - Optical Audio Output issue (1 Viewer)

aredoubleyousee

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I have not been able to get an optical audio output signal from my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2, 1080p), when I use its HDMI inputs (there are 2):
Sources - SONY CD/DVD upconverting player (DVP-NS75H) using HDMI to the TV; Comcast Motorola HD-DVR using HDMI to the TV. The optical output fiber from the TV is "lit" but the A/V receiver (Kenwood VR-507) does not see/play the audio.

I HAVE confirmed that the receiver optical input IS working when the same optical cable is connected directly to each of these two digital sources' optical output (DVD player and cable box). BUT there’s a timing delay between the receiver audio (from the optical link) and the TV A/V (from the HDMI link) … the TV is delayed (probably ~100 msec) - enough to be annoying. If one leaves the TV speakers ON, the delay manifests as a loverly echo (so OK, mute the TV).

It would seem that if I could get the digital audio out of the TV, it might have a smaller delay, and there is even supposed to be an A/V sync in the TV that controls that output timing (but that setting doesn’t appear in the actual menu … just in the manual :). My ~inexpensive A/V receiver does not have a delay setting for the bulk signal.

I called SONY and they "SEEM" to be saying that the optical output is only active when the digital input to the TV comes through its tuner (the direct cable input?) and not through the HDMI input?? Can this be true? (and WHY? wouldn’t they cross the digital audio directly across from the HDMI input?)

SO after this long-winded rant – I have 3 questions:

1) Is it correct that I should forget getting optical audio out of the TV when using the HDMI source?

2) Is there some other way that I can defeat the delay issue? (the TV A/V is slow, relative to the receiver decoder) ... perhaps there’s an optical audio delay widget for sale.

3) Does anyone have other suggestions - a better receiver; a full HDMI system; etc?

Rick89114

Grip
Real Name
Richard
Having a similar setup with the KDL46xbr2 a sony upconverting dvd and a SA cable box. I ran optical audio seperatley from the DVD player and the cable box to the reciever and HDMI video seperatly to the tv. The menus have to be set to output to optical oterwise it sends it via HDMI. I remember reading the manual of the tv saying it only outputs digital PCM only (2 channel, No digital dolby 5.1) from the optical out and I think it also mentioned it output only from the built in tuner also. Thats why I originally set it up that way. I do not use the tv's speakers. Also my audio and video is syncyed as far as I can tell. Only drawback is having to switch both th TV's input and recievers input when changing source. Works for me for now. I'm not sure about new revievers that have HDMI others may comment on that, a HDMI reciever may take care of it all?

aftermarket

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
You are both correct. From my experiences the optical only outputs 2 channel sound. I have operated on this issue with a Mitsubishi and it DID pass through 2 channel sound from HDMI input of the tv to optical out to a receiver but again it only strips it down to 2 channel.

Unfortunately the delay issue is a problem with the receiver and even that, may not be its fault. If that delay is annoying to you, the only real option I can suggest (not to say you wanna add cost to your system) is to replace your receiver. Currently there are a wealthy line up of receivers with HDMI switching. If all your components are HDMI (dvd, cable) then you will have a bigger selection with a wide price range. If you keep a VCR or other non-HDMI components in your system, you will need to find a receiver that does HDMI upconversion (changes the signal on composite, svideo and component to HDMI). I am an avid fan of Denon and quite familiar with Yamaha receivers. I have worked with Pioneer/ Pioneer Elite receivers, Sony ES receivers and Onkyo receivers. The Denon reciever available now that I have in my home is the AVR-2807 (with HDMI upconversion) at $1100. Later this year all of Denon receivers will have HDMI switching, but if you need a solution now, I recommend the above receiver. PM me if you are looking to buy it, I can get great pricing with full warranty. Denon also has a lower unit with HDMI conversion at $800 which is also nice but the quality of the AVR-2807 is definitely nicer. Let me know if I can help you out with any of this.

aredoubleyousee

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for the input, Andrew and Richard

ALL the manual says about this subject: “Digital Out (Optical) Connects to the optical audio input of digital audio or video equipment that is PCM/Dolby digital compatible. (Digital Out (Optical) is only available for digital channels.)” { I guess THIS is probably the significant issue ... what they define as Channels}.

In the TV sound settings, the manual also refers to a function “A/V Sync” that is designed to “synchronize video and audio from your connected equipment”. This only works “when you have equipment connected to the Digital Out of the TV”. I suspect this probably would work in the wrong direction, but since I can’t get signals out that path from the TV, it’s moot. Further detail: this doesn’t even SHOW UP as a choice on my TV sound settings menu … it’s only in the manual (I wonder if this is one of the small differences between XBR2 and XBR3 series).

I guess I'll start researching new receivers.
But geeze, I was hoping to extend my next grand of credit on an HD/BlueRay player. Maybe I should do the receiver while I wait for the HD formats to settle (this discussion is getting old).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks