Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 of 73 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andySu
Well my point exactly it’s trash a load of rubbish. If it where there great a film you’d watch it from start to last end credit on the film!

I guess that's why it's on course to be the top selling live action DVD ever.

#42 of 73 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 06:27 AM

I was dispointed with the movie, it lack the charm of the first movie.

Jacob

#43 of 73 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 07:54 AM

I enjoyed the movie quite enough, though it was a little too much of a "roller-coaster" to me, it seemed as if all the action set pieces had to be more complex than the previous one, and that detracted from the dramatic weight of the movie.

But I could spend hours just watching Bill Nighby's awesome performance under all that great cgi "make-up". Davy Jones is no doubt one of the most memorable characters in movies from the last decades!

#44 of 73 Shane_M

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts

Posted December 09 2006 - 03:40 PM

I wasn't quite as impressed with the second movie as I was with the first. It lacked the fun ride feel the first one had.
Shane
EyeCraveDVD.com (Owner | Editor-In-Chief)
My Blog

#45 of 73 Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 07:26 AM

Maybe it's a british thing but I've seen this a few times now and thought it was complete rubbish too, just relentless trash and extremly boring, i tried again to watch it last night with my 2 boys, one fell asleep while the other manfully stayed awake until the end, then just shrugged and went to bed. Maybe watched as a trilogy i will enjoy it more.

One thing though, the effects for davy Jones were spectatcular whereas for the Kraken they were'nt quite as good, were there 2 effects houses on the job?

Cheers

Lance UK

#46 of 73 Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 03:39 AM

My worst blind-buy in a long time. I should have just rented this one, but I liked the first movie a lot and figured it'd at least have some good swordfights. I was wrong.

A swordfight example; Will, Jack, and Norrington are in a three-way swordfight probably to the death and Elizabeth attempts comic relief in the foreground. That really didn't make me feel that the swashbuckling action was intense or important. I mean I can understand Jack Sparrow seeming to not take things seriously, but when none of the characters (or actors) do either then the movie suffers.

The Elizabeth/Will relationship had as much emotion and good dialog in this movie as the Amidala/Anakin relationship in Episode II. And watching Keira Knightly passing as a guy on that ship because she's wearing pants and a hat was beyond disbelief. Although seeing her gleefully jump into a swordfight later gave me something else to go "WTF?" about.

Then there's Norrington. He was a great character in the first film and a totally lame character in this one. This annoyed me because they didn't show the transition of how he went from a level-headed military man who hates pirates to a complete loser who lives like a pirate. Which is a shame because that's the kind of storyline they should have put in the movie. Maybe there was a PotC 1 1/2 animated adventure that I missed spending 19.99 on to see his fall.

I could go on, but I'll just say I agree with all the other negative comments I've read here.

#47 of 73 JimTravis

JimTravis

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 05:43 AM

I'm reserving judgement on Pirates 2 until I see Pirates 3. I unfairly criticized The Two Towers for being inferior to Fellowship of the Ring, but after seeing Return of the King, my opinion of it has risen dramatically, while I think ROTK is the weakest of the series (a shame, since the book is so wonderful). So I'll wait until Pirates 3 comes out so I can put the whole series in perspective. Truth be told, I wasn't that impressed by Pirates 1, so the more clunky Pirates 2 wasn't a steep fall -- Pirates 1 was informed by the Disney theme park ride. Pirates 2 looks to have been ENORMOUSLY influenced by Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and I love 20,000 Leagues, so I enjoyed Pirates 2 for all the homages and nods to that great Disney film.

#48 of 73 MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 12:42 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but it will likely be the first movie we watch on our new 56" 1080p Samsung. I don't care if it's good or not, I just hope it's pretty. Posted Image

#49 of 73 SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 01:05 PM

store frustration

Me: where can i find the bonus disk for pirates 2?
Kid: huh, (walks me to the 2 disk version)
Me: no, thats the 2 disker, im looking for the 3 disk one, the bonus disk
Kid: i havent seen it
2nd Kid: (overhearing) which bonus disk?
Me: the one for pirates of the carribean
2nd Kid : i didnt know there was one.
Me: (oh god) well can you check in the back to see if you see any?
............................(waiting)............. .......
Kid: uh no i checked the back and didnt see any (kid asks 3rd kid (you folks keeping count))
Kid: hey did you know pirates had a bonus disk?
3rd Kid: yeah i saw a few yesterday but they are all gone
Me: argh

makes me want to crall into a cave, become a hermit and just order everything online so you dont have to deal with untrained people......

so endeth the rant

#50 of 73 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 01:18 PM

Quote:
makes me want to crall into a cave, become a hermit and just order everything online so you dont have to deal with untrained people......

Hey SVTStingRay where you at a BB? Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#51 of 73 SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 02:16 PM

gee how can you tell?

#52 of 73 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 06:45 AM

Oh just a lucky guess Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#53 of 73 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 06:59 AM

This film just keeps getting more boring the more I watch it. I still am looking forward to the third film but this one isn't holding up well on repeat viewings.

After the initial rush of the set pieces wears off, we are left with a film that has a crippled narrative. And this chiefly comes from the fact that we are TOLD that Sparrow owes his life to Davey Jones, and all this tension is supposed to be generated by events that didn't even take place in the first film. Also the entire subplot with Norrington is backed up by a few lines of dialogue, and we are asked to believe that he fell from grace so quickly after the first film.

All this adds up to a narrative that fails to engage me.

#54 of 73 hikura3

hikura3

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 07:46 AM

It is good but a bit too long.

#55 of 73 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,099 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 08:26 AM

Watched it the other night for the first time, as I never had a chance to catch the film during it's theatrical run. For me it was nothing more than a by-the-numbers corporate studio cash-in on "Curse of the Black Pearl". Predictable, boring, lumbering, full of itself. The principal actors were phoning it in, and the script was uninspired. The only high point of "Dead Man's Chest" for me was Bill Nighy's Davey Jones. Now HE was an inspired character, as were his crew and the whole servitude on the Flying Dutchman angle. It's just too bad that the story surrounding them was so lame. Fantastic effects work on the Dutchman's crew members too.

As for the transfer, I guess I'm just spoiled by HD-DVD. While I thought it was solid overall there are some scenes that were just plain soft. In addition, the whole sequence on the atoll when the group is searching for and digging up the chest is marred by some pretty objectionable ringing.
Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#56 of 73 Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTravis
Pirates 1 was informed by the Disney theme park ride. Pirates 2 looks to have been ENORMOUSLY influenced by Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and I love 20,000 Leagues, so I enjoyed Pirates 2 for all the homages and nods to that great Disney film.

In my opinion the Disney theme park ride was based on Disney's TREASURE ISLAND(1950), which was based on Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island(1883). Pirates 1's creative inspirations were the 1883 book and the 1950 movie. Pirates 1 and 2 owe their title to the ride. Disney is brilliant in stating (or at least not denying) that the movie is based on the theme ride, thereby urging all our kids to say, "I want to go to Disneyland."

#57 of 73 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted December 15 2006 - 12:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's a british thing but I've seen this a few times now and thought it was complete rubbish too,
No it is not just a british thing, well I am Canadian, so maybe you do have a point.Posted Image
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#58 of 73 Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
No it is not just a british thing, well I am Canadian, so maybe you do have a point.Posted Image

LOL!!

Does anybody know if two different effects houses handled Davy Jones And the Kraken?

Lance UK

#59 of 73 Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:45 AM

ILM definitely worked on the Kraken--I know a guy who played a big part in animating the beast.

#60 of 73 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:56 AM

The Kraken was a little disappointing to me. This was *not* due to the quality of the CGI animation, however. It was just that I was expecting the creature to look more like the Harryhausen-animated Kraken in "Clash of the Titans". Instead, it seemed more like the creature in "It Came from Beneath the Sea"! A fairly minor quibble, based on my own expectations, but there you go!
Joseph
---------------

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow