What's new

Deja Vu (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Okay, so I am in love with the trailer for Deja Vu because of that cool hook they do of making the trailer repeat itself, so it looks like you are experiencing deja vu while you watch it. So nice to see a trailer with an original presentation.

Plus the movie looks pretty good. Tony Scott's films are usually good ones. I have no idea exactly what the plot is (is Denzell married to that girl? Does she die?) but I'm definitely interested in seeing it now! Anyone else?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The premise of the film is about Washington, a cop trying to solve a murder of a woman that he later falls in love with and then going back in time with some kind of time machine to prevent her murder.

Crawdaddy

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm very interested in this film. Their last colloboration was one of my favorite films of 2004. The new trailer for this gives a bit away, but I'm sure the film will still surprise me.

It's a good trailer, I agree :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The first trailer for it sucked. Completely uninteresting.

The new one though, with the repeat like Abby said, is quite good and actually makes me want to see it now. I know the audience I saw that trailer with got a good laugh at the repeated intro. :) Glad they changed the marketing on this one.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Ever since Man On Fire, my friends and I have become huge fans of Tony. Not seeing that in theatres was the stupidest thing I've ever done. His level of command over the craft, and his willingness to experiment with ways of conveying emotion, choosing scripts that are well-suited to his love for creativity, ignoring CGI and digital enhancements in favor of completely organic innovations, just everything. Even the subtitles are loaded with energy. As a photographer, seeing cross-processed positive slide film shot with hand-cranked cameras from the 1920s is a pure adrenaline rush- to see a fellow artist taking risks that I've often thought about trying out in the darkroom- underfixed film, bleach bypass, etc. It's hugely inspiring. I can't imagine his new stuff would play very well with people who aren't photographers or cinematographers, but I can't get enough of it. The craziness of Domino Harvey was so well conveyed in the appropriately crazy visuals- and yet they are conveyed with such confidence. A young person could never pull such organized madness off. That he actually rewinds the negative on the spot and re-exposes it for the multiple exposures blows my mind. It might be the first avant-garde action picture. And shooting the finale of the film in 2-10fps?! It's a cinematographer's wet dream!

I have a feeling Deja Vu will break away from the aesthetic of his last two films, as he's repeatedly said he doesn't like to repeat himself this late in life. In any case, it's great to see him emerge as such a creative artist after making 15 years of normal (but good) movies. In any case, I'll be in line for this one. I think it'll be solid, populist entertainment elevated by some terrific aesthetic exploratory interpretations of the material.

Regards,
Nathan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy if T.Scott doesn't over-do the seizure-inducing quick-cuts from his past 3-4 film efforts.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't this be in After Hours? I'm surprised this thread hasn't closed considering the subject.....
Oh wait, we are talking about a strip club chain right? :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Man On Fire was great Chuck indeed. Underrated....On my second viewing of it, I really loved it.

Deja Vu looks really, really intense. Can't wait. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Confession:

Wife and I went to see Prestige, and during the pre-show ads, the screen kept flickering, sound wasn't loud enough, etc.

So by the time they showed the trailer for Deja Vu, I was pretty pissed at the "teenage kid" running the projector.

So when the Deja Vu trailer seemingly starts over after 10 seconds, I fairly loudly say "stupid teenage kid!"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK so there is this film, then a heavily advertised TV show premiering soon on ABC with a similar premise; both leads are black guys. Deja vu indeed.

--
H

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Saw this film Tuesday....

Very interesting plot and over all action packed.....

One of those you will watch a few times, because you will miss things....

Dugger

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem, I've seen that TV show preview as well. It looks cool, but obviously the whole living the same day over and over again isn't a new concept. It was used in 'Groundhog Day', an episode of Star Trek TNG, X-Files, and Millennium. Not sure if the same thing happens to Denzel in this new film though.

I've always liked Tony Scott's films, they're so stylish and visual and just fun to look at. I'm looking forward to 'Deja Vu' as well. I read somewhere it was the first movie to be filmed in New Orleans after Katrina, in fact they used some of the devastation in the movie to help tell the story. In what way I don't know.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Of Tony Scott's recent hyper-stylized pictures, I actually enjoy Man on Fire the least. That may have to do with the content of the movie, and less with the style. Domino was a giddy ride in style and different strands of characters. The beginning of the movie is like a roller coaster, you either start enjoying the craziness of it, or you get disgusted by the ride. Spy Game was an adreneline rush that was surprisingly moving at the end, with a glorious movie star role for Robert Redford, possibly his least distant role (Redford always seems to be beyond everyone else, except here) since The Sting.

I like the latest trailer of Deja Vu less than the previous one, because it gives away more than it needs to. Still, the advertising campaign is very unique and attention grabbing. Looking forward to it.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

I like the living a day over concept, but I'm not sure if that's what is going on here - I think there's a couple of options for the way that they could spin that out. I am guessing it will surprise us.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
To me deja vu isn't simply being at a new place and feeling like you've been there before, as it's presented in the trailer. It's whole moments that seem to be repeating and you're able to foresee what will be said or what will happen next.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

So how does the movie look? Moriarty over at AICN had a report on the editing of the film, and from what he was shown, it appears that Scott has toned down his recent hyper-kinetic style. Despite the fact that he's using the same DP as Man On Fire, the film has a more "old school" Tony Scott feel, (ala, True Romance, Crimson Tide).

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I found it to be somwhat less hyper than some of his previous work, yet (and not to give away spoilers) there are squences in this film that will reminder you of "Minority Report".

It is during these scenes that the pacing is so fast that if you don't pay attention, you will be way beyond confused.

Dugger

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Man, I really do hope he's turned things down. I much prefer Scott's style during the 90s than his latest efforts which have been frenetic to the point of being a disservice to the movie.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Though, I think that Scott's style is actually perfect for a movie like this - where the cuts and sometimes frenetic pace will actually serve the story, IMO. The more i see the trailer for this the more I think it's going to be a very smart (and smartly done) film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks