Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 of 73 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 11:35 PM

I felt the same way and just decided to give it a try, figuring any reasonable show from that period can't be all bad - and have to say the show is pretty funny - I've gone from "did I waste my money?" to trying not to watch them too quickly, John Astin is a riot!

#62 of 73 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 12:02 AM

When they sell these piss-ant little boxes, I just pull the cases out and arrange them in order. With a large box set it makes some sense-but a bunch of 2 slipcase boxes is REE diculous-space wise. This could have gone into a double slim Alpha case. But damn, Morticia is lovely-the very first Goth girl. And Gomezs' wide eyed lunatic optimism is halarious.
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#63 of 73 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 12:22 AM

But damn, Morticia is lovely-the very first Goth girl.

That would be Vampira. Posted Image

http://s2.supload.com/free/Vampira_Candelabra_web_2.jpg/view/

http://www.vampirasattic.com/
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#64 of 73 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted November 06 2006 - 09:29 PM

I felt the same way and just decided to give it a try, figuring any reasonable show from that period can't be all bad - and have to say the show is pretty funny - I've gone from "did I waste my money?" to trying not to watch them too quickly, John Astin is a riot!
Well, I love the price and a lot of shows from that era, so I might just pick this up before the end of the year. There's too many other DVD sets that I want to buy first, in fact I've fallen behind already.

#65 of 73 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted November 07 2006 - 08:43 AM

So, is the music edit a big deal, and would I notice it? I'm not a huge fan of the show (I'm in The Munsters camp), but I do like it. I haven't seen it in years.
Last night I watched the two episodes where the song "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House" was edited out. I compared them against the TV Land versions which still have it in there. The Halloween episode it isn't noticeable at all because Morticia just sings it on her way out of the kitchen and it's no longer than a few seconds. The other episode, which is the last episode on the last disc, it's a little noticeable cause it seems to cut way too quick to the man at the door, but all in all, just a little noticeable. It's too bad they couldn't secure the rights to it as it is a bit annoying not having every second of the episodes, BUT my overall opinion is that this set is very well done and is a MUST HAVE!

The Bewitched History Book by David L. Pierce ties in the events of the 60s with each episode 
and breaks down each episode in depth along with rare trivia, photos, and reviews!

Available now at BearManorMedia.com and Amazon.com in both paperback and hardback!

Book%2Bcover%2Bsmallest.JPG

#66 of 73 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 07 2006 - 09:53 AM

One thing's for sure, that theme to this show has stood time. Ever notice when attending a pro sports event, (NHL game, etc), that inevitably, you'll hear the "finger-snapping" portion of the Addams Family theme on the arena PA systems?

That's the postman with my set. (I know....it's been said already, but I love it when "Thing" delivers the mail) "The mail's in. Why, Thank You, Thing" Posted Image Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#67 of 73 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 01:46 PM

Just picked up my set and I'm absolutely enjoying this show. I'm amazed at the video quality and the transfer. The video is much clearer on this older show than the quality on say, MASH ... the show doesn't even seem dated either as the jokes, episodes and themes seem to be universal and understandable ... the only complaint is that the episodes are edited, but at least it's clearly marked on the packaging ...

#68 of 73 OFFLINE   Mick Hyperion

Mick Hyperion

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 08:12 PM

I have to say that I am extremely impressed and happy to have picked this up. I debated on release day while shopping whether I wanted it. I wasn't around when the show originally aired and I had never even seen a complete episode before as it was never in syndication anywhere I've lived that I am aware of. The Munsters I had seen a little bit of as a kid, but not the Addams Family. Well... this is now a new favorite show of mine! The writing, the acting, the sets, the humor... everything about this show is top notch. I agree that it doesn't seem dated at all. I have yet to groan at anything even slightly stupid or hokey. I love the pure imagination that went into the creation of this show and sure wish there were shows around like this today!

#69 of 73 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 10:39 PM

"Quote: Originally Posted by Mark_TS But damn, Morticia is lovely-the very first Goth girl." "That would be Vampira." Actually, if I remember correctly from one of the Ed Wood documentaries, Maila Nurmi did something as Morticia and an L.A. TV station approached her about the movie hosting gig. She didn't want to get into trouble for copyright infringement, so she came up with Vampira. So Vampira is based in general on Morticia -- the Morticia of the comics, of course.

#70 of 73 OFFLINE   Brandy681

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:03 PM

This is an exellent show but I love The Munsters!

#71 of 73 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:43 PM

This is an exellent show but I love The Munsters!
Apples and Oranges...I love them both...The Munsters are more in your face slapstick, while The Addams are more intellectual.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#72 of 73 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,251 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 13 2013 - 11:03 AM

I came to this thread to find out if they were edited and if the one song is all it is, I'm game. I almost bought Volume 1 at Walmart some time back and I saw the disclaimer that there could be edits and I sat it back down. Addams vs. The Munsters? Hands down, Addams Family! The Munsters are okay but not nearly as funny as The Addams Family!:D

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#73 of 73 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 13 2013 - 11:43 AM

I believe that are two episodes that have the same song edited from them: "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users