What's new

HDTV screens vs. toddlers (1 Viewer)

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
We are moving into a new house at the end of the month, and my wife has given the go ahead for me to start shopping around for big screen TVs. Based on our budget, I was considering a 50" Samsung DLP, but I'm concerned about how well the screen can stand up to daily life with toddlers. It's easy enough to clean food and the occasional crayon mark from the 32" Sony Wega we have now, but I don't know how resilient a DLP screen is. From what I understand, plasma screens are glass (thus kid-friendly), but I would have to compromise on quality and/or size to fit our budget - something I'd rather not do.

Can anyone offer information as to how the screens of various HD sets (DLP, LCD, LCoS, plasma) differ and/or how well they stand up to life with a young family?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Crayons? Stick with the glass, or find a way to address your crayon problem. :D

Chris V

Grip
Real Name
chris
Yeah, I remember as a kid I used to LOVE to push all the dust caps on my father's speakers in. As my wife and I are starting to think about a family, I know this is going to come back and bite me big time.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Are food and fingerprints easy enough to clean from DLP screens? I could keep the crayons away if that was the only mitigating factor.

ericJed

Agent
Right now we have 2 kids under 5. I have a 50 inch LCD with a included screen protecter and if they write on it with marker or crayons ( cant watch them 100% of the time) I use Goo Gone. It works great.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
I've read that you shouldn't use any type of cleaner on DLP screens or it will damage the anti-glare coating - hence my concern.

Eric - what make and model of LCD do you have?

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
well with a plasma or lcd you can hang it on the wall, out of reach from the kids.

If they are potty trained, certainly you can get them to colour in books and not on walls and especially not TVS. Buy a really big colouring book for them.

As a child, not me or my 3 sibblings ever drew on a TV. We just stuck with the books. I do remember poking my parents speakers as a kid tho heh. I thought it was so much fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks