Photo

The Silent Partner (with Elliot Gould,Christopher Plummer) - who owns? any news?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted August 07 2006 - 05:40 AM

Does anyone know who has the rights to this film?
Is it on anyone's radar to be released on DVD?
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#2 of 63 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 05:44 AM

last I heard it was HBO.
Other than that, no news.

#3 of 63 Jeff Rosen

Jeff Rosen

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 06:07 AM

It was originally produced by Cineplex Odeon out of Canada. Also producing on the film were the Carolco folks. The library ended up in bankruptcy court. I don't know if anybody purchased the rights, otherwise it is tied up in legal limbo in North America.

#4 of 63 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 06:32 AM

HTF's walter o might now who owns the rights, for certain, but I believe that Paul is right in saying HBO. Being a fan of both Gould and Plummer, I'd love to finally see this one.

#5 of 63 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 10:10 AM

I would also love to see this film on DVD. The only copy I have ever owned was on VHS recorded in the LP speed,,, Ugh!

#6 of 63 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 01:25 PM

There may be some question as to theatrical and intellectual property rights, but HBO does fully own the DVD rights: it was one of many films that they quietly provided production financing for in exchange for the video and pay-TV rights. Other films that HBO was an equity partner on include many Canadian-made films like TRIBUTE, MEATBALLS, AGENCY, THE CHANGELING, THE BELL JAR, THE LAST CHASE, and some other projects like GO TELL THE SPARTANS.

Reportedly, its screenwriter Curtis Hanson would like to remake the movie, now that he could command a bigger budget and direct it.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 63 SamSpade

SamSpade

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 12:32 PM

Glad to see others who want this sleeper on DVD.

Not sure how effective it might be, but you can vote at Turner Classic Movies' database site (http://tcmdb.com) for this film to be released on DVD. Currently, The Silent Partner is #231 on the "Not on Home Video" rank. They claim they send this info to DVD companies.

If Hanson does the remake, I wonder if he'll set it in Toronto? Daryl Duke made very effective use of Toronto locales.

#8 of 63 walter o

walter o

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
Other films that HBO was an equity partner on include many Canadian-made films like TRIBUTE, MEATBALLS, AGENCY, THE CHANGELING, THE BELL JAR, THE LAST CHASE, and some other projects like GO TELL THE SPARTANS.

BELL JAR was not a Canadian production. Funny AGENCY has somehow fallen into the public dormain though. I noticed StudioCanal has SILENT PARTNER in their web site, but I recall in a older Warner chat, SILENT PARTNER did come up, and instead of replying "we do not control this title" they replied back "we have no plans at this time". So Marc is correct.

#9 of 63 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted August 09 2006 - 04:14 PM

Extraordinary film. Funny, suspenseful, terrifying. Great plot, script and performances. This, along with THE CHANT OF JIMMIE BLACKSMITH, BILLY BUDD and a bunch of foreign titles, remains foremost on my want list.

#10 of 63 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hmmmm. Haven't seen this in years. Definitely underrated. Both Gould and Plummer in fine form. John Candy has a bit as one of the bank tellers. One for those that enjoy 'cat and mouse' psychological thrillers.

I would certainly purchase this title if released to DVD as I've only ever seen it on a grainy looking rental cassette. (Shudder!)

Johnny B.

#11 of 63 walter o

walter o

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 06:06 AM

Well looks like me and my collegue Marc (as well as Warner) was wrong, Lions Gate is releasing it, which probably means full frame from a old tape master transfer, and they are trying to pass it off as a "modern" crime thriller type.

http://www.dvdempire....or=1#topoftabs

I'm going to take a wild guess that Lions Gate acquired this via Studio Canal from Canal's ownership in Vadja/Kassner titles.

#12 of 63 Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 06:39 AM

I hope they correct the spelling of Susannah York's name on the cover before it's released...

#13 of 63 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 07:09 AM

There's never been an OAR release in R2-6, has there?

I love this movie and the thought of a Lions Gate P&S job... well, there isn't a smiley for crying

#14 of 63 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 06:01 PM

I have a horrible feeling...

DVD Empire lists THIS version also...

http://www.dvdempire....tem_id=1192070

I hope they didn't merely screw up the listing for the 1978 version.

#15 of 63 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 18 2007 - 05:02 AM

On the surface, you'd think the fact that I own the LaserDisc of this title would make me happy, but it's one of the worst transfers ever to that format. It's an absolutely miserable print, with an awful-sounding soundtrack.

So, hopefully, even if the DVD is full-frame, it might still be an upgrade!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this great thriller to get a decent treatment on DVD.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#16 of 63 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 03:05 PM

Good God! To have waited this long and end up with a shoddy full frame edition? I'd rather it not come out at all. And who the Hell are those guys walking in the cover shot???? I don't remember them from the movie! Ugh.

Posted Image

Also, they are walking on a $100 American bill. The movie takes place in CANADA!

#17 of 63 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 02:51 AM

It's amusing that over in Format War-land, there are people on both sides that think having Lions Gate as a studio supporting your particular format isn't anything but a "plus".

the other format can keep 'em. I see little value and a lot of frustration in their participation.

#18 of 63 Dion C

Dion C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 03:03 AM

I second Ric's words above. I've been waiting for this forgotten little gem for ages. Hey, look, it's finally being released. It's 2007. Widescreen and anamorphic (at the very least) are standards now; it's not a bonus!

So, apparently, Linonsgate executives, in their infinite corporate wisdom, sat in a boardroom together and said:

Lionsgate Executive # 1: "Look, guys, we've got this smart little movie from decades ago for which a lot of in-the-know cinephiles seem to have a real shine. Don't ask me: I've never heard of the thing, personally. But it's supposed to be good -- a real quality piece in the "nifty crime caper" genre. And we got it!"

Lionsgate Executive # 2: "Great, great, Bob. That's excellent. Good movie. Cult following. Low cost catalogue title. We should do all right with this. Let's get it out there for those patient fans so we can make some dollars on this thing."

Everybody agrees and prepares to exit the room for a leisurely executive lunch.

Lionsgate Executive # 2 (cont.): "Oh, wait, one more thing. It's 2007. Make sure -- and memo this, Bob -- that we pan-and-scan this baby. I mean, really crap it out. And don't forget to call the design boys down in marketing and tell them to create the absolute dumbest, most ill-chosen cover for it. Make it shine! Gentlemen, we have an opportunity to really give the finger to our customer base, to let 'em know how much contempt and disdain we have for their pathetic, fanboy asses. So don't blow it. Okay, let's get outta here."

Lionsgate Executive # 1: "Oh, Mr. Smith, one more thing. Elliot Gould called and said he's willing to do a commentary for us."

Lionsgate Executive # 2: "Elliot Gould? Who the f---'s 'Elliot Gould'? Come on, idiots, we're late for lunch!"
If they made a t.v. movie about an Elvis Presley impersonator, would they have to get a Kurt Russell impersonator to play the part?

#19 of 63 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 03:56 AM

More likely it was something like this

LG Exec #1 "what else we got in the catalog?"
LG Exec #2 " we've got Silent Parnter."
LG Exec #3 " what genre is that."
Lg Exec #2 "crime/thriller...but no name cast and its from 1978"
LG Exec #1 "1978? Thats a year before I was even born. Well, the only thing we can do is package it to look like a QT movie."

#20 of 63 AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 07:08 AM

Back when Lion's Gate (before the name "change") acquired that big video library, I was doing some online interviews and asked their video rep for an interview re: their lousy image...

She never got back to me.

I guess this release saves me from buying a VHS at a video store closeout, but not much else...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users