Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Has anybody compared upconverted PQ between HD-DVD and SD upconverting players?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 11:33 AM

Sofar I have not been impressed with non HD players upcoverted PQ. The images just looked too soft and lacked too much detail for my taste. I'm curious if the Hd-DVD player does a much better job. Anbody compare them yet?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Glen C

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 08:37 AM

I've never been impressed either until now.

I had (well still have... didn't put it on ebay yet) the Zenith 318 upscaler and HTPC... neither did much for SD DVD really (H78DC3 720p PJ). It just was blah and looked marginally better than feeding it 480p from the same or different source (xbox 360 too currently hooked up).

OTOH the HD-A1 changes all of that.

It's upconverting is IMPRESSIVE Posted Image

It's not a psychosomatic effect (my HD-A1 cost about $375 thansk to Cont. Rewards) or wishful thinking. It's no wonder alot of guys reportedly sold their pricy Denon players units. Posted Image

YMMV

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 08:42 AM

I heard the Sony Blu-Ray player's upconversion for SD-DVD was good but the Samsung is not a good upconversion player. I think Samsung got the short end of the stick on upconversion because they just simply have not made a decent upconversion player period.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 11:43 AM

I know a guy who compared it to the Oppo 971 and the Denon 3910, the A1 beat both.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 01:10 AM

That's good to hear since I bought the Toshiba Thursday and have yet to open it since I refuse to buy HD-DVDs at the moment. I plan on renting thru blockbuster.com or maybe even netflix with the free trial offer included. Posted Image

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 03:03 AM

I've had the Oppo, the Denon 1920 and still own the Zenith DVB-318. The Toshiba smokes them all on upconversion. A friend watched STAR TREK VI at my house last night, using the Toshiba, and he asked me twice "Are you sure this isn't high definition?". And he has a high def set and watches HD on cable all the time, so he has some idea of what good quality looks like. He couldn't believe how good the picture was.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Trent
Sofar I have not been impressed with non HD players upcoverted PQ. The images just looked too soft and lacked too much detail for my taste. I'm curious if the Hd-DVD player does a much better job. Anbody compare them yet?

The Toshiba HD-A1 has the best standard DVD upconversion of any player released to date.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 09:53 PM

Quote:
I had (well still have... didn't put it on ebay yet) the Zenith 318 upscaler and HTPC... neither did much for SD DVD really (H78DC3 720p PJ).

Well that's strange because if you have a HTPC you can get great results. Because everything is tweak-able and you can do many things to the image. Personally I have recently made my first HTPC and I'm completely amazed by the result. The upconverted DVDs combined with the right filters give an amazing image that I never in my dreams thought possible from a DVD source! It's like Larry's story, sometimes I feel like I'm watching HD material!

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
I've had the Oppo, the Denon 1920 and still own the Zenith DVB-318. The Toshiba smokes them all on upconversion. A friend watched STAR TREK VI at my house last night, using the Toshiba, and he asked me twice "Are you sure this isn't high definition?". And he has a high def set and watches HD on cable all the time, so he has some idea of what good quality looks like. He couldn't believe how good the picture was.

Each day I find it hard to fight the temptation to get one as oppose to waiting. I just hope that the quality of the upconversion on the HD players will carry over to the next generation.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

Forum Nav Content I Follow