Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Zone to be one of Images first HD DVD/Bd releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#1 of 144 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 01:56 PM

don't have the link at the moment, but I've been surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet. I think the news may have come out of the VSDA in Vegas. IIRC, Image has plans to support both formats, likely to start up in 07, and the Rod Serling Twilight Zone sets will be among its first releases.

ever since I heard the series was gettig remastered in HD, i've been expecting it to show up. I've only got the first two seasons so far, so its not like I have a huge investment in it- and would likely upgrade.

in any case, its great news that Image is on board, and hopefully Criterion will follow soon after that (I would love Walkabout or Black Narcicuss as much as any other studio release at this point, I think)

#2 of 144 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,071 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 14 2006 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
don't have the link at the moment, but I've been surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet. I think the news may have come out of the VSDA in Vegas. IIRC, Image has plans to support both formats, likely to start up in 07, and the Rod Serling Twilight Zone sets will be among its first releases.

ever since I heard the series was gettig remastered in HD, i've been expecting it to show up. I've only got the first two seasons so far, so its not like I have a huge investment in it- and would likely upgrade.

in any case, its great news that Image is on board, and hopefully Criterion will follow soon after that (I would love Walkabout or Black Narcicuss as much as any other studio release at this point, I think)
I'm not buying this series for the third time which is why I'm glad these players upconvert.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 144 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 04:06 PM

I'm disappointed it's not the Twilight Zone movie.....
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#4 of 144 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 04:12 PM

Wow, this sounds awesome. I was just watching the TZ marathon on Sci-Fi on the 4th of July (like I always do). I always held out on getting these on DVD, and this release adds to a growing list of reasons for me to take the HD plunge.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#5 of 144 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 01:16 AM

Glad I held out....!

#6 of 144 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,596 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 06:34 AM

Speaking of the Twilight Zone Movie....

I expect Warner will have it out in '07 as well. I would
not be surprised if it was also made available on HD-DVD.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 144 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Speaking of the Twilight Zone Movie....

I expect Warner will have it out in '07 as well. I would
not be surprised if it was also made available on HD-DVD.

Great news! Thanks!

Posted Image

#8 of 144 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,596 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 08:12 AM

Jeff,

Don't take my post as gospel.

But consider this....

During our last chat with Warner the studio admitted they knew
the demand for The Twilight Zone Movie and that they
had a few more hurdles to go through to get it out -- but were
awfully close.

I could easily see a release next year on both formats.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 144 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 16 2006 - 05:04 AM

I also will pass on this. having already paid a good chunk of change for the definitive sets, they are good enough.

#10 of 144 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted July 16 2006 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
Glad I held out....!

Same here. This will be cool to have on HD DVD.

#11 of 144 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 12:30 AM

Those that have both HD-DVD and BD players can be the test subjects for side by side comparison. A little expensive but the world of those sitting on the fence waiting for a winner needs to know.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#12 of 144 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 04:23 AM

this will be awesome!!!! =). i wonder how many 1/2 hour episodes they can fit per dual layer disc IN HD?

i dunno this for a fact but i'd imagine that since TZ was filmed, they wouldn't keep a videotape-only master. plus, the visual fx wasn't done for TV/low-res just like they did for B5, so, this ought to be a vast improvement over SD-DVD for a TV series.

hopefully, we'll see XF IN HD res, that would totally rock.

#13 of 144 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate
Those that have both HD-DVD and BD players can be the test subjects for side by side comparison. A little expensive but the world of those sitting on the fence waiting for a winner needs to know.

No, I'll never replace my LD's of the show. Why bother? B & W, 4/3, LD's will do. That's the only way I'll "....Serve Man" anytime soon. I'll be buying something new.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#14 of 144 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:24 AM

"The Twilight Zone" series on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray would definitely make me take the plunge earlier than I had planned. Actually, once the A/V receivers carry 1.3, as well as the 2nd generation of players, I'll probably go ahead at that point. Right now I'm waiting to see if Blu Ray is going to pull their heads out, but I had only gotten the first season of the Definitive Edition of TZ, so I will gladly go ahead and go HD instead of completing the collection.

#15 of 144 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:25 AM

Rachael, fully restored shows that look better than they EVER have before would certainly be one reason -- even to upgrade to the Definitive Edition SD-DVDs over your LDs. Unless quality doesn't matter to you.

#16 of 144 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams
Rachael, fully restored shows that look better than they EVER have before would certainly be one reason -- even to upgrade to the Definitive Edition SD-DVDs over your LDs. Unless quality doesn't matter to you.

They're TV shows and not at all a priority for me to re-collect. Besides, I have the best LD players to reproduce the shows on the rare occasions I actually want to view them. Quality matters but only up to an extent. I would like to upgrade my Twilight Zone movie LD to a modern format. That's where I'd demand some quality.

#17 of 144 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 06:49 AM

Considering they were meant to be shown in 4x3 at TV resolutions, isn't showing them in high-def akin to colorization? The sets, costumes, make-up, etc were probably never meant to be seen at high def resolutions. Perhaps a better use of the disc space would be to put an entire season onto a single dual layer HD-DVD disc at 480p resolution?

#18 of 144 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 10:21 AM

oy, here we go....

#19 of 144 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 10:45 AM

I've been meaning to buy the entire Twilight Zone collection for several years now on DVD. Once I heard about HD versions coming, of course, I figured I'd just wait. However, my guess is the SD DVD collection may drop significantly in price once the HD versions are released and I'm not sure how important it is for me to have these in HD; I'd watch a lot of these in my bedroom (instead of my living room with HD display) where I will not have an HD display for a very, very long time. I'll have to think about it.

#20 of 144 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 19 2006 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD
Considering they were meant to be shown in 4x3 at TV resolutions, isn't showing them in high-def akin to colorization? The sets, costumes, make-up, etc were probably never meant to be seen at high def resolutions. Perhaps a better use of the disc space would be to put an entire season onto a single dual layer HD-DVD disc at 480p resolution?

ok someone who is more eloquent then i am please respond to that .......

how can you say they were meant to be seen that way.

thats the only way they were able to be seen.
so there was no choice.

you can say this about any video format can't you.

film (movies) should never have been watched in any format because until now there hasnt been a format with high enough resolution for watching at home to equal that of film.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow