Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warners 'Motion Picture Masterpieces' Five-disc set October

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 04 2006 - 01:53 AM

Posted at www.thedvdforums.com :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
From Warner October 10:
Motion Picture Masterpieces Five-disc set with five restored and remastered literary classics; $49.92; individual titles available for $19.97. (Warner).

Marie Antoinette (1939)
Dir.: W.S. Van Dyke; Norma Shearer, Tyrone Power, John Barrymore, Robert Morley. Extras: Oscar-nominated short "The Great Heart," vintage short "Another Romance of Celluloid."

David Copperfield (1935)
Dir.: George Cukor; Freddie Bartholomew, Lionel Barrymore, Edna May Oliver, Maureen O'Sullivan, Basil Rathbone. Extras: Vintage Technicolor musical shorts: "Pirate Party on Catalina Isle" and "Two Hearts in Wax Time," Classic MGM cartoon "Poor Little Me." audio-only bonus "Leo Is on the Air" radio promo.

Pride and Prejudice (1940)
Greer Garson, Laurence Olivier, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ann Rutherford. Extras: Oscar-nominated "Crime Doesn't Pay" short "Eyes of the Navy," classic MGM cartoon "The Fishing Bear ."

A Tale of Two Cities (1935)
Ronald Coleman, Elizabeth Allan, Edna May Oliver, Reginald Owen, Basil Rathbone. Extras: Oscar-nominated short "Audioscopiks," two classic MGM cartoons "Hey, Hey Fever" and "Honeyland," audio-only bonus: Lux Radio Theater radio show adaptation starring Ronald Colman .

Treasure Island (1934)
Dir.: Victor Fleming; Jackie Cooper, Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Otto Kruger, Lewis Stone, Nigel Bruce. Extras: Vintage early three-Strip Technicolor MGM short "The Spectacle Maker" (1934), Oscar-nominated MGM short "Strikes and Spares," classic MGM "Happy Harmonies" cartoon "Tale of the Vienna Woods."

As revealed at OnVideo
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 87 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:07 AM

Woww, What a box set!! I was sure that Pride and Prejudice would come out at the same time of David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities. I was also guessing about Marie Antoinette.
More Garso and more Shearer!!!
Wonderful box set that just made my day!
Thanks a lot for the info John.

#3 of 87 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 267 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:18 AM

Terrific news! I've really been looking forward to these titles...really a great combination in this set. The 2-strip Tech shorts are a very nice bonus. Thanks for the good news, John.

#4 of 87 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:22 AM

Now that is what I call a boxset! Looking forward to this one!

#5 of 87 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:33 AM

Terrific collection. I'm glad that Warner is not just concentrating on "star" box sets.

#6 of 87 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 02:40 AM

Wow! Some or all of these titles had already been mentioned by Warners as being on the way, but that's quite a combination to have them all in the same boxset.

#7 of 87 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 03:01 AM

Excellent news. Pride and Prejudice alone is worth the cost of the set.

#8 of 87 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,285 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 03:14 AM

Thanks John! My wife is a big fan of the '40 Pride & Prejudice film. I'm a fan of Crime Doesn't Pay shorts so this will be a perfect DVD for us Posted Image

Actually the whole set looks quite good, I can always use more Basil Rathbone, Lionel Barrymore, and Edna May Oliver films in my collection and they're all represented multiple times in this set, which I should be able to score for $35 or under.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#9 of 87 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 03:46 AM

The '40 Pride and Prejudice is the best movie adaptation of the novel, and Mr. Darcy as embodied by Laurence Olivier is peerless. When I get this disk, I will have 5 separate versions of the story on DVD, including the '80 BBC miniseries, the '95 BBC miniseries, the Mormon/Utah version, and the recent Keira Knightly vehicle. And there's Bride and Prejudice to be got, too.

Posted Image

#10 of 87 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 03:59 AM

Yeah!!!!

Nice to see more HAPPY HARMONIES leaking out to DVD also!!!

#11 of 87 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 05:43 AM

oh my f*cking gosh!!!! you guys don't know how long i've been waiting for marie antoinette and pride and prejudice.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#12 of 87 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,415 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 04 2006 - 06:05 AM

Wow, great news!

I have never seen any of these films, and now I can finally see them in beautifully restored WB dvd quality. Good things DO come to those who wait! I'm REALLY looking forward to this blind buy!

#13 of 87 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,444 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 04 2006 - 09:26 AM

Finally A TALE OF TWO CITIES on DVD! I'm thrilled that all of these will be presented, but I'm especially excited to see TALE come to DVD.

The classics just keep right on coming from Warners! Thank you!!

#14 of 87 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 09:39 AM

wow not seen any of those five films

more money to Warner
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#15 of 87 OFFLINE   ChrisRose

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 10:23 AM

Aw crap.

Don't get me wrong. I want all these movies on DVD and I'm definitely buying the boxset. Problem is, this pretty much eliminates the possibility of Warner releasing Norma Shearer or Greer Garson Signature Collections! I was especially hoping for a Norma Shearer box... but I can't imagine them releasing one without Marie Antoinette included, can you? I mean, that would be a major selling point to make sure people buy the boxset...I think it's one of the most requested-to-be-released-on-dvd Norma movies.

Of course it was also a bad sign that The Women was included in the Joan Crawford boxset when Joan has a relatively small role in the film and it's *really* Norma's movie ...but I was hoping that since then Warner had reconsidered and decided Norma deserved a Signature Collection. Sigh.

I guess Greer could still get a box someday... but not likely since 2 of her biggies, Random Harvest and Mrs. Miniver are already out. Pity, I'd love to see all the movies Greer & Walter Pidgeon made together, released in one big beautiful boxset. But Warner's reluctant to release "screen team" sets, for some reason.

One more complaint: Don't Warner own enough movie adaptations of Charles Dickens novels, that they could've put 'em all together in a boxset? That would've been cool.

Sorry I'm so picky. I know I should just be grateful these movies are coming to DVD at all. I am. Still, can't help imagining my dream themed sets... and worrying about the implications of this release, whether it hurts the chances of other movies making it to DVD, etc.

#16 of 87 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,215 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
I was especially hoping for a Norma Shearer box...

I'm hoping for Norma Shearer's Romeo and Juliet on DVD at some point. I haven't seen it, and would really like to. Hopefully there will still be a box, and that would be included.

Andy

#17 of 87 OFFLINE   Jacqui

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 11:01 AM

Brilliant!!

Bravo Warners yet again!

#18 of 87 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 11:02 AM

I just realized that this will probably be timed promotionally to coincide with the new Sofia Coppola film of the same title.

#19 of 87 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,836 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2006 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRose
Aw crap.

Don't get me wrong. I want all these movies on DVD and I'm definitely buying the boxset. Problem is, this pretty much eliminates the possibility of Warner releasing Norma Shearer or Greer Garson Signature Collections! I was especially hoping for a Norma Shearer box... but I can't imagine them releasing one without Marie Antoinette included, can you? I mean, that would be a major selling point to make sure people buy the boxset...I think it's one of the most requested-to-be-released-on-dvd Norma movies.

Of course it was also a bad sign that The Women was included in the Joan Crawford boxset when Joan has a relatively small role in the film and it's *really* Norma's movie ...but I was hoping that since then Warner had reconsidered and decided Norma deserved a Signature Collection. Sigh.

I guess Greer could still get a box someday... but not likely since 2 of her biggies, Random Harvest and Mrs. Miniver are already out. Pity, I'd love to see all the movies Greer & Walter Pidgeon made together, released in one big beautiful boxset. But Warner's reluctant to release "screen team" sets, for some reason.

One more complaint: Don't Warner own enough movie adaptations of Charles Dickens novels, that they could've put 'em all together in a boxset? That would've been cool.

Sorry I'm so picky. I know I should just be grateful these movies are coming to DVD at all. I am. Still, can't help imagining my dream themed sets... and worrying about the implications of this release, whether it hurts the chances of other movies making it to DVD, etc.
It could be much worse, example being Paramount and Columbia while Universal still has a boatload of titles they haven't released.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#20 of 87 OFFLINE   Jacqui

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted July 04 2006 - 01:08 PM

I love this! One of the best years for DVD classic releases. Legendary stuff by Warners. I have been waiting for Marie Antoinette and Pride and Prejudice for so long!

Forum Nav Content I Follow