What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony's New Blu-Ray ROM for PC (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...ir%202006.html

So far, in the Anime Fair in Japan, Blu-Ray seems to be the domineering force for high-definition. No mention of HD-DVD.

With the upcoming PS3 and Sony creating Blu-Ray ROMs and Recorders in the near future, Japan, as far as I can tell, will be full Blu-Ray supporter.

Not that America cares...with its own HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray debates.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I don't suppose I'm too surprised that Anime vendors would be bigger proponents of Blu-ray given that their target audience are also typically gamers who would more than likely own a PS3 at some point.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Is there any affordable Blu-Ray PC ROM drives already on the market? I might try a ROM before buying a standalone because both my graphic card and monitor are HDCP compliant. And I do have a BD! What software do you need to see the material?

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you've got an HDCP compliant graphics card? My understanding is that there are a grand total of zero HDCP capable cards right now. Some advertise being compliant on the box, but don't actually have the HDCP keys.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

There actually is exactly one out right now, can't remember what it is or who makes it, but there is one available.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
It's a moot point because I don't think there will be any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray support outside of the new Windows Vista. Even if you had the drive and an HDCP compatible display and video card XP may never support the new HD formats. After the debacle that occurred when DVDs were cracked, they are looking to lock down the entire signal chain, from optical reader to system drivers to HDCP to the monitor, before they unleash HD onto the computer.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
But didn't someone get the new notebook? That's how they figured out the size of the discs and I imagine they work with xp.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Recording data and playing movies are 2 seperate things. Atleast at this time the drives are strictly for data storage and possibly authoring your owns discs. All the info I have read points to secure drivers and a secure operating system being 2 of the requirements to secure a license to make a software HD player.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I think people are playing back movies on the VAIO, and no way it's got Vista. Same with the Toshiba HD DVD player, which is a laptop with a custom interface, running some kind of Linux I think the rumour is.

Ergo, the first models out of the gate are not handling the "security" protocols as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks