Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony's New Blu-Ray ROM for PC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 10:14 AM

http://www.akihabara......ir 2006.html

So far, in the Anime Fair in Japan, Blu-Ray seems to be the domineering force for high-definition. No mention of HD-DVD.

With the upcoming PS3 and Sony creating Blu-Ray ROMs and Recorders in the near future, Japan, as far as I can tell, will be full Blu-Ray supporter.

Not that America cares...with its own HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray debates.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 01:00 AM

I don't suppose I'm too surprised that Anime vendors would be bigger proponents of Blu-ray given that their target audience are also typically gamers who would more than likely own a PS3 at some point.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 03:44 AM

Is there any affordable Blu-Ray PC ROM drives already on the market? I might try a ROM before buying a standalone because both my graphic card and monitor are HDCP compliant. And I do have a BD! What software do you need to see the material?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Darryl

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 10:13 AM

Are you sure you've got an HDCP compliant graphics card? My understanding is that there are a grand total of zero HDCP capable cards right now. Some advertise being compliant on the box, but don't actually have the HDCP keys.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
Is there any affordable Blu-Ray PC ROM drives already on the market? I might try a ROM before buying a standalone because both my graphic card and monitor are HDCP compliant. And I do have a BD! What software do you need to see the material?

I think it's Pioneer with one already on the market.

Quote:
Are you sure you've got an HDCP compliant graphics card? My understanding is that there are a grand total of zero HDCP capable cards right now. Some advertise being compliant on the box, but don't actually have the HDCP keys.

There actually is exactly one out right now, can't remember what it is or who makes it, but there is one available.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:58 PM

I thought nVidia has HDCP cards like this:

http://www.nvidia.co...0_features.html

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 04:15 AM

It's a moot point because I don't think there will be any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray support outside of the new Windows Vista. Even if you had the drive and an HDCP compatible display and video card XP may never support the new HD formats. After the debacle that occurred when DVDs were cracked, they are looking to lock down the entire signal chain, from optical reader to system drivers to HDCP to the monitor, before they unleash HD onto the computer.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 04:25 AM

But didn't someone get the new notebook? That's how they figured out the size of the discs and I imagine they work with xp.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 04:36 AM

Recording data and playing movies are 2 seperate things. Atleast at this time the drives are strictly for data storage and possibly authoring your owns discs. All the info I have read points to secure drivers and a secure operating system being 2 of the requirements to secure a license to make a software HD player.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:53 AM

I think people are playing back movies on the VAIO, and no way it's got Vista. Same with the Toshiba HD DVD player, which is a laptop with a custom interface, running some kind of Linux I think the rumour is.

Ergo, the first models out of the gate are not handling the "security" protocols as expected.

Forum Nav Content I Follow