Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

U2 - Zoo TV is Coming!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 26 2006 - 09:54 AM

SOURCE: http://www.u2.com/ne...ll&news_id=1958

I went to U2.com today only to find the news on the main page that their 1993 ZooTV concert from Australia is finally coming to DVD in September!! Being a huge U2 fan, this is incredible news to me! This is actually on my list of top 5 DVDs that I posted last week.

The only one missing now is PopMart. But with the release of this, I have no doubt that it will be forthcoming.

All I know is ZooTV will be a welcome addition to my U2 DVD collection. I have "Rattle & Hum", "Slane Castle", "Elevation 2001", and "Vertigo 2005". I am literally ecstatic about this!
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,979 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 10:21 AM

Actually, also missing is "Achtung Baby: The Videos, The Cameoes, and a Whole Lot of Interference from Zoo TV" and I believe, Under a Blood Red Sky/Live at Red Rocks.

But, good news on the DVD release of the '93 show.

I've noticed that a lot of VHS releases of concerts are missing on DVD. Bob Dylan and Tom Petty both have a few missing titles.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
Actually, also missing is "Achtung Baby: The Videos, The Cameoes, and a Whole Lot of Interference from Zoo TV" and I believe, Under a Blood Red Sky/Live at Red Rocks.

...and THE BEST OF 1980-1990 (The Videos). In regards to "...and a Whole Lot of Interference...", all the videos are on THE BEST OF 1990-2000 (The Videos), except for the buffalos-over-the-cliff version of "One" and the interview segments (worth preservation for Bono yelling out "rock-and-roll doggie!" to a fan alone!).
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 02:08 AM

Needless to say, this is EXCELLENT news.

BTW, you may want to pick up Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree. Some interesting footage of how that album came together.
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,119 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:09 AM

I have a copy of the ZooTV concert taped off a TV broadcast. It featured Lou Reed dueting "Satalight Of Love". Is this that concert? If so I'll definately be picking this up. I'm not a huge U2 fan, but the 45minutes Much Music showed of this was some of the best concert footage I've seen.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,774 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:14 AM

Yes, this is the show that includes Lou Reed. U2 had been doing "Satellite Of Love" throughout the entire tour, and one night Lou Reed happened to show up and sang it with Bono. Soon after, they recorded Lou singing the song and used that prerecorded footage from that point on.

This DVD is a long time coming.. I had been talking with the good people at Dreamchaser, the production company that's done the bulk of U2's video work, and they had hoped to have a chance to put this out for a long time. With the holiday season not too far away and no new U2 material out, it's the perfect time for a release. Hard to believe the concert itself will be 13 years old in November! I think it's as vital and powerful today as it was then.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Fred Mounts

Fred Mounts

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:44 AM

Awesome! But hasn't this been scheduled and pulled at least once before?

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,119 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 27 2006 - 09:52 AM

I agree! This could be a great release!

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 27 2006 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mounts
Awesome! But hasn't this been scheduled and pulled at least once before?

True, but this is the first time (to my recollection) that any news of the DVD has appeared on U2's official website. They've already announced some of the specs, and according to the article, more information will be available in the coming days. I believe this is the real deal.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 12:51 PM

I'd like to see them release the Popmart in Mexico City concert on DVD as well. That tour wasn't anywhere near as cool as Zoo TV, but hey it's U2 and the more of their concerts on DVD the better. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,306 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 04:03 PM

I loved the PopMart tour - I thought it was better in person than ZooTV. However, I don't love the Mexico City video because they had stopped playing "Miami" at that point. The show worked best with the "Miami"/"Bullet"/"Please"/"Streets" medley - I really missed "Miami" when it was gone...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 05:03 PM

Wait a sec.. If this is the same concert as the VHS version, Lou Reed only appears on the monitor. Australia? I don't think he was there. I actually pay per viewd this concert when it happened. They also played "Trying to throw your arms...: which was cut from the official VHS release. It looks like on disc 2 we get some bonus tracks but I hate the price discrepency of the U2 concert DVDs betweeen one and 2 disc versions...

Posted Image

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,774 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 02:51 AM

That's correct, Lou Reed appears on the monitors, his part of the duet pre-recorded.

I don't think that this had ever been officially scheduled in Region 1 before. I remember when the Elevation DVD came out, they included as a bonus feature a couple minutes of the opening to ZooTV, and I think it also appeared as a forthcoming release in Europe a few years ago, but it was never actually scheduled or annnounced by U2 for U.S. release.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 476 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted June 28 2006 - 09:46 PM

"The latest and greatest in software, hardware...and men's wear"
"You haven't come all this way to watch TV now, have you?"
Excellent news, excellent show, now I can retire my old laser disc Posted Image
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,306 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg
That's correct, Lou Reed appears on the monitors, his part of the duet pre-recorded.

I thought that was the case. I've not watched my old LD in a while, so I didn't want to contradict those who claimed Reed was at the show, but I was pretty sure he wasn't. Glad to hear confirmation of my memory!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,774 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 08:45 AM

If memory serves, the show Lou Reed sang at was at Yankee Stadium during the 1992 summer Outside Broadcast leg of the tour.

Of course, if memory doesn't serve, who knows when it might have happened...

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   ToddJ

ToddJ

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 05:07 PM

Any idea when the 1980-1990 music videos will released on DVD?

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 02 2006 - 07:46 AM

They better do a better job with those videos. The later Videos DVD PQ is pretty lacking. All of the Ws clips, and there are ALOT are crappy non-anamorphic. Considering that many of the clips were just a couple of years old, they should have looked better IMHO...

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 03:38 AM

When Oh when I we going to get Under A Blood Red Sky/Red Rocks!!! I can't wait to get that in 5.1 sound if they would please release it with that option!

My young daughter and I watched Live in Chicago recently. What sound and an excellent show!

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 09:22 AM

They should go back to the master tapes and give us the WHOLE Red Rocks show!

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow